liz earle perfume bombed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Does anyone know if the LE contains aldehydes? This equals instant migraine for me which is why I cannot wear delicious Chanel 5 among others. I note that several people have described it as 'heady' which sets the alarm bells ringing.:sad:

Don't know if this is true or not but I heard the inventors of Chanel No5 had a disagreement and went their separate ways but one of them took an ingredient out of No5 and repackaged it as L'Aimant which is why they're so similar.

i think that the aldelhydic notes in chanel were the first of its kind made in a lab. thats what made chanel no5 so famous.

Don't know if this is true or not but I heard the inventors of Chanel No5 had a disagreement and went their separate ways but one of them took an ingredient out of No5 and repackaged it as L'Aimant which is why they're so similar.

No. The perfumer for all Chanel greats was a man called Ernest Beaux.

But Ernest Beaux did work for Coty before he moved to Chanel.
Rumour has it Ernest created what was to become No5 and Coty thought it far too expensive so said no. He took the formula with him. Coty then tried to recreate it using cheaper ingredients and that became L'Aimant. Chanel No5 came out in 1921 and L'Aiment 1927.

What also happened in the early days people copied each other alot, if something was a success they other houses rushed to bring out their own version. Guerlain had Liu which is quite like No5 but better as I could wear it. That is why many of the great houses then copied writed their forumlas.

It was really Marilyn Monroe who boosted No5 through the roof, with its all I ever wear to bed.

I'm a Chanel girl through and through and always go back to No. 5 EDP, it works with my body chemistry brilliantly. Some perfumes turn really weird on me and can be quite unpleasant. I also adore Chanel Le Exclusives, some beautiful scents there, and Serge Lutyens, too.

moi aussi :wink2: and they not at all pricey.

Rumour has it Ernest created what was to become No5 and Coty thought it far too expensive so said no. He took the formula with him. Coty then tried to recreate it using cheaper ingredients and that became L'Aimant. Chanel No5 came out in 1921 and L'Aiment 1927.

What also happened in the early days people copied each other alot, if something was a success they other houses rushed to bring out their own version. Guerlain had Liu which is quite like No5 but better as I could wear it. That is why many of the great houses then copied writed their forumlas.

It was really Marilyn Monroe who boosted No5 through the roof, with its all I ever wear to bed.

I love reading you write about perfumes. I bet you are always on basenotes !!
I seem to have a blunt nose!

Also sadly for me so many things I like from the bottle smell so bad on me . So many sweet floral citrus types , they go all sour . I quite like the reviews of Liz Earle even the negatives ones give me the idea that I might like it, contrary as I am

I'm a Chanel girl through and through and always go back to No. 5 EDP, it works with my body chemistry brilliantly. Some perfumes turn really weird on me and can be quite unpleasant. I also adore Chanel Le Exclusives, some beautiful scents there, and Serge Lutyens, too.

moi aussi :wink2: and they not at all pricey.

I love most of the Chanel Exclusifs too !! Where can you get them cheaply please ?

You can't get them cheaply, Julie. But you can pick up 4ml for £20-30, which is affordable (bay store).

Julie, For current UK stockists ring 020 7493 3836.
I haven't been able to afford one for a while, but I would love to try a couple of the newer ones such as Beige and Sycomore.

WS, Thanks for the tip re the 4ml sizes available on the well-known auction site.

You can't get them cheaply, Julie. But you can pick up 4ml for £20-30, which is affordable (bay store).

Good grief, I have just looked at the lovely little bottles that usually come free with the large ones, they are the 4ml ones. Last three times I have been given or purchased the full sizes I have also received 12 of the miniature ones. I missed a trick there !!!!

Tried it out yesterday in JL early afternoon. Was still strong smelling when I went to bed well after midnight and I'm afraid to say that I didn't like it at all. My husband doesn't normally notice things like that, but even he remarked that it was OTT. I'd never buy perfume without trying it out first so that it's it - sorry LE! Still love her skincare products though.

I have noticed that young women wear overpowering strong perfumes that stink imo. Maybe they are trying to cover the smell of B.O. I do not use perfume as such just a good shower using a lightly scented shower cream and moisturiser suits me.

I love reading you write about perfumes. I bet you are always on basenotes !!
I seem to have a blunt nose!

Also sadly for me so many things I like from the bottle smell so bad on me . So many sweet floral citrus types , they go all sour . I quite like the reviews of Liz Earle even the negatives ones give me the idea that I might like it, contrary as I am

I am on Basenotes at least twice a day and Perfume of Life, been a member of both for years.

Honestly £20 for one of those 4mls is far too much. A friend bought Cormondel and got me a 4ml size free throw in with purchase. I used to buy Serge Lutens Paris exclusives 5ml decants for £9. Then LVMH took ebay to court over the sale of decants and won. Also they Chanel have tweaked the originals when making them the exclusifs. Bois des Iles,Cuir de Russie and No22 are not the same going by people who have sniffed both new and old. I have them still in original parfum versions, but never tried the new ones.

What you can do is join a perfume board and keep an eye out for join bottle purchase. What happens someone buys the bottle and then makes decants of 5,10,15 or 20mls and people buy in and get their decant. Now alot of it happens in America and they won't ship to the UK, but some do. There is a site I joined which is just for swaping, buying etc never actually gone for any yet as they don't do what I want so far. Scent Splits is its name, people from basenotes, POL and MUA are there.

Of course it can go very very wrong. Long ago on POL a woman who lived in Canada decided to buy a bottle of Creed Angelique Encens and split it. Found a bottle from a German site at a really good deal, it came in a 250ml size only. Bought it and all was well, we who and said yes to the split waited(no money paid by us yet. That is the way it works, not money taken until ready to ship the decants). But Canadian customs took the bottle and destroyed it!!!!!!! Because perfume contains alcohol it is classed as dangerous and should not be sent airmail. There are ways round it. Never tell at the post office you are sending perfume, its used cosmetics or liquid foundation if you must. LOL But Canadian customs are famous for doing this, and are known in perfume circles as the perfume nazis. Think book burning, as that is what happens to the perfume when they get hold of it.

maybe the house of earle has become the new coty fragrance pincher.
like i said lovely fragrance just not liz's.

Blimey what a fascinating thread! :clapping:

I've said this before - but thanks especially to Donna :flower: I always learn something interesting from your posts. :)

I haven't homed in on the Liz Earle fragrance myself because although I'm always interested to try fragrances, and I think lots of different things smell pretty on other people, I only really wear Black Cashmere and Bvlgari Black myself. (although I have had long relationships with Tresor Mitsouko and Shalimar in the dim and distant past.)

I really couldn't imagine that LE would create a fragrance that was in any kind of similar vein. I've had a look at the breakdown of notes on her website though, and it doesn't sound offensive....

I agree that perhaps - as the fragrance has been long waited - people had an idea in their minds of what it might smell like based on what their favourite Liz Earle skincare smells like - and that's why people have been so shocked by how it actually smells.

Just off the top of my head as a barely part time LE fan I would definitely expect something green, cool, creamy and light with some sharp edges, something a bit Chypre to represent the natural botanicals, and something grown up and amber-y to represent Liz herself. I probably wouldn't expect a heady floral though. The rose and lavender heart concerns me somewhat.

Plus yeah, I think we're all very used to the CKOne family of light ozonic scents and the ubiquitous fruity florals which all smell pretty much the same to me! :eek:

I might have to give it a squirt next time I'm in JL - just out of curiosity.

Donna, or anyone, have you ever tried Eau De Soir by Sisley?
I was fortunate to be given this by my sister, it's getting on for £70 a bottle but it's absolutely exquisite, a little goes a long way:flower::flower:

Donna, or anyone, have you ever tried Eau De Soir by Sisley?
I was fortunate to be given this by my sister, it's getting on for £70 a bottle but it's absolutely exquisite, a little goes a long way:flower::flower:

The bottle is beautiful, and it's a grown up womanly fragrance - which is my type - but I didn't love the sharp edges. I prefer something rounder and smoother.

Having said that it's been years since I tried it out so this is just from memory. I've stopped using Sisley Global day and Night cream and Sisley foundation so I avoid the Sisley counter these days so as not to get sucked back in! :eek:

Latest posts

Back