LG Smart Scan Woes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

inatizzy

Registered Shopper
Help needed urgently before I go INSANE.

Have been trying to install this Bl**dy thing for an hour.

I repeatedly get a message informing me that "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available"

It hasn't installed.
It won't let get any further than that error message.
I have unplugged the Mouse/Scanner
I have removed the installation disc.
I have started all over again.
I am going to SCREAM...........

Why didn't I wait and read these reviews before I fell for the "Remove from box and JUST plug it in" Cr@p

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.502023.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

Last edited:
Sorry can be no help to you, not good on computers, and everytime i ask my son, he says turn the machine of and put it on again.
Got to be a laugh now between us. Have you tried maybe the batteries are done, but saying that it doesnt get good reviews :sad:

inatizzy - you certainly are huh?

clueless here but it's late - sleep on it and probably one of the puter gurus will have an idea tomorrow. (((hugs)))

Hi SparklyBarbs - I will turn Laptop off - and I may NEVER turn it back on........LOL

janie - yes I'm in a right old tizzy - others on here posted re problems with this item, but reading thro them (I found the thread) didnt have the answer

Thanks for replying both of you X

Just remembered i have a wireless mouse, and when i changed it, i had to lodge and

and add it as a new attachment, maybe that would help. Mine"s a laptop. Oh just

remembered QVC do that thing "Talk me through it", always advertising it and they

go through it step by step with you. Maybe worth a try in morning, when brain and

body are rested :thinking:

inatizzy, go on Youtube, 29th Feb entry seems comprehensive (sorry on DD iPad can't cut and paste) just type in on google search "how do you load LG Smart Scan?" and Youtube comes up (Windows might pose prob for you) good luck.

This forum is so friendly and helpful, mostly, and everyone tries to help everyone, even though we don""t know each other,
but in this day and age its inspiring to see, and ive certainly learnt a lot since i joined. Thank you xx

Mine is working now, see my posts on another thread about the problems.

With most installs you have to install the software BEFORE you plug in the item.

This one says you must plug in the mouse first, before installing the software.

I had various problems with installing updates. From memory, the disk is version 1.3, which doesn't work. After a while, you are prompted to update it, and it goes to 1.2 !?!?!?!?!?

After a while, you are prompted to update it again, this time it goes to 1.5.

I installed it on my Acer TSV laptop yesterday. It took HOURS and a couple of times it just froze, came up with a message "not responding".

It works well when you get it going though, except, as many reviews said, the wire has a rubbery coating on it which keeps catching on the things you're scanning, usually cables are shiny and smooth.

Don't forget to set the resolution to the highest quality to get good results (an option in the sotware settings).

Best of luck, let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hear this but mine was installed and running within 15 minutes maximum without incident. Is your firewall and or security program blocking the connection? It installs then updates again and I'm delighted with mine.

Thank you all soooooooo much for your input :))

I havent had the chance to try any of your suggestions as yet - but I wanted to respond cos I know it's annoying when the OP doesnt give any follow up

I'll have one more bash tomorrow (Thurs) and let you know

Thank you

(Still) inatizzy X

QVC and/or the "expert" MUST have known that 2 software updates were needed before it would work, but didn't mention this.

This is DISHONEST selling, and many people may have bought this for use on their stand-alone computer that did not have an internet connection to download updates.

I have several friends who have computers (for word processing etc) but can't afford to pay for an internet connection.

I had a PC myself for many years (from 1990 in fact) before I eventually went on the internet about 10 years later. It ran Windows 3.1 and cost £3500, probably £7000 in today's money. It had no sound facility, a 13" screen, and the disk size was measured in MB, not GB! I only got rid of it a few months ago.

Last edited:
Thank you all soooooooo much for your input :))

I havent had the chance to try any of your suggestions as yet - but I wanted to respond cos I know it's annoying when the OP doesnt give any follow up

I'll have one more bash tomorrow (Thurs) and let you know

Thank you

(Still) inatizzy X

hmmm...let's hope it wasn't literally a bash........

hmmm...let's hope it wasn't literally a bash........

reminds me of windows ME,

Control, Alt, Delete,
Control, Alt, Delete,
Control, Alt, Delete,
thump, kick, bash.
Shut down, start up,
Control, Alt, Delete!

It was - thump the keyboard, kick the tower and bash my knee on the shelf! Didn't do anything other than make me feel sore! :mysmilie_17:

Final instalment :

Got NOWHERE

REFUSE to call ANY helpline re the installation of this CR@P

(The 'presenter' at no stage mentioned that one would have to call a HELPLINE for instructions as 99.9% of folk would have some issue or other)

COMPLAINED to the Q.

Am awaiting the pre-paid label to return.

Will NOT be paying for the original P&P - have made SURE that is being refunded as well

Will NEVER order anything again that claims to be "Plug in and play" when in fact the correct term should be "Plug in and play around for hours"

Thank you for allowing me to have a rant.

(no longer!) inatizzy X

It has just been reduced in price by over £7.

The reviews are terrible.

I've only needed to use mine a few times so far, and it worked OK.

But as I've already said, it took HOURS to get it working in the first place.

Latest posts

Back