Leighton Denny TSV 21/4/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I thought Catherine Huntley's presentation last night on the launch was atrocious. She clearly couldn't be bothered to get into detail about the set, and would rather waffle on about the "celebrities" whose nails Emma has painted, or back onto tan fails and all sorts of other self-deprecating but really ME, ME, ME nonsense, with a quick name check about Leighton and his MBE. Someone in the gallery must have had a word, because later she very reluctantly asked Emma about the other bits in the kit.

The nail tech wasn't much better... the thick globs of polish being applied on the nails... I wouldn't pay good money for a manicure of that quality, I'm afraid. It would never dry, for one thing, and for another I don't think anyone had done any prep work on the model's nails as they weren't at all a good shape to begin with.

No doubt Leighton and Nina were a hard act to follow, but I can't believe they couldn't have got a more competent team to take over.

The girl with vitiligo (?) has done DD's manicures a couple of times and they've been perfect and lasted well over a week, so I wonder whether it's a "for TV" technique, to slop on one thick never-gonna-dry coat. It seems to happen on the Nails Inc and OPI demos too.

The girl with vitiligo (?) has done DD's manicures a couple of times and they've been perfect and lasted well over a week, so I wonder whether it's a "for TV" technique, to slop on one thick never-gonna-dry coat. It seems to happen on the Nails Inc and OPI demos too.

What I find particularly bizarre is that LD polishes are a bit thinner than the others, so it should be easier not to end up with a gloopy mess on the nails.

Surely if they are getting in someone who is a professional nail tech, they should have mastered the technique and be able to reproduce it whether on camera or not?

I thought Catherine Huntley's presentation last night on the launch was atrocious. She clearly couldn't be bothered to get into detail about the set, and would rather waffle on about the "celebrities" whose nails Emma has painted, or back onto tan fails and all sorts of other self-deprecating but really ME, ME, ME nonsense, with a quick name check about Leighton and his MBE. Someone in the gallery must have had a word, because later she very reluctantly asked Emma about the other bits in the kit.

The nail tech wasn't much better... the thick globs of polish being applied on the nails... I wouldn't pay good money for a manicure of that quality, I'm afraid. It would never dry, for one thing, and for another I don't think anyone had done any prep work on the model's nails as they weren't at all a good shape to begin with.

No doubt Leighton and Nina were a hard act to follow, but I can't believe they couldn't have got a more competent team to take over.

So that's why the online video for the tsv has Kathy Tayler's presentation rather than the launch video. I wondered what had happened as it is rare not to have the actual launch video on the website.

So that's why the online video for the tsv has Kathy Tayler's presentation rather than the launch video. I wondered what had happened as it is rare not to have the actual launch video on the website.

There are two videos, both the one with Kathy this morning and Catherine on the launch!

I have not watched the Tsv presentatiom until now, it seems a far cry from last spring's tsv that was on auto delivery and sold out in that option before the morning repeats, the application seems awful and no disrespect to the brand am about she is a very poor second to Leighton and and Denny, I agree that they were a hard act to follow but the new team don't seem to do the brand any favours

What I find particularly bizarre is that LD polishes are a bit thinner than the others, so it should be easier not to end up with a gloopy mess on the nails.

Surely if they are getting in someone who is a professional nail tech, they should have mastered the technique and be able to reproduce it whether on camera or not?

Yeah I'd think that too, so the only explanation I can come up with is that the production team want to see the finished colour in a single coat..otherwise it'd be like watching paint dry. In real life a gloopy thick coat would just never dry. As we see in other product lines the gallery always think they know better than the on air experts. I'm sure this is why Q is replacing actual brands reps from their stable of professional guests/bland ambassador, they can shape them into soulless selling droids.

I agree the manicurist doing the model's nails last night was using the thick & blobby method but I still think she did a much better job than Emma. She managed to cover the nail for a start, unlike Emma who leaves a wobbly line down the side, about 4mm from the cuticle. Interesting Emma wasn't doing any manicures at all - someone must have put a stop to that. Not doing manicures meant she could twitter on about her celebrity clients which was so, so interesting .... sorry, I mean of no interest whatsoever. And who knew Lady Gaga and would settle for cr4p manicures?

Very impressed. Ordered yesterday morning and it has already arrived!! Super happy with the kit too. So glad I went for it.

Mine arrived this morning. Love the colours, great little kit, glad I went for it.

Glad those of you who went for the kit are pleased. I would probably have gone for it (bag notwithstanding) if I didn't have so many polishes already... some of which I've not yet used.

I feel bad saying it because I'm sure Emma (is that the new LD guest's name?) is very nice - didn't people who met her at the Beauty Bash say so? But she has really put me off buying. Having bought lots of LD in the past, I know the polish and other products are good, but the manicures she produces on the shows are just not inspirational, as the ones Leighton did on Nina were. I don't look and think "I want that" any more. I hardly ever missed an LD show in the old days but now I rarely watch. I saw the show on the schedule last night but what with tuning in just as she was making another mess and hearing DF's voice, it was clickety-click off in a split second.

It wouldn't put me off buying, LD products are great and last ages! Really miss Leighton, loved his presentations, tips and general no nonsense approach!:mysmilie_43:

If I wasn't awash with polish I could have been tempted... I like these kinds of kits with all the elements you need to produce your manicure. Last year's auto delivery was definitely superior just because of the wider variation of the other elements included in the kit with each delivery, and a better quality bag. This year the variation is much more limited... and no polish holders like they included last time.

I think Emma is doing her best, but when I compare all the different professional nail technicians to Leighton Denny himself, I can totally see why they stopped him competing - none of them are as quick or accurate as he is. He could apply a single coat of nail varnish to give excellent coverage without dolloping it on with a dripping brush. I wish Leighton well with whatever he is now doing, but he should be in no doubt he's badly missed. Nina too, of course. I wonder if she's still doing QVC Germany?

There are polish holders in this kit.
All the colours + base & topcoat are in a five slot holder.
I agree that Leighton is a hard act to follow, not just his application technique but his personality & banter, especially with AY.

There are polish holders in this kit.
All the colours + base & topcoat are in a five slot holder.
I agree that Leighton is a hard act to follow, not just his application technique but his personality & banter, especially with AY.

Why didn't they show them on air? They are a positive addition to the value of the kit, in my view.

I only bought the single drop as I didn't fancy the other colours. On the whole I am pleased with most of it. But I am sure the formula for the polishes has changed and I think even Leighton would have had a job making them look good in a quick demo. I have about 80 bottles and thes just seem to be really gloopy and they are so streaky unless you trowel it on. I am so glad I didn't go for auto delivery.

end of an era now leightons gone. he was on of the best vendors to. beautifully dressed and funny and polite. sigh!

end of an era now leightons gone. he was on of the best vendors to. beautifully dressed and funny and polite. sigh!

I echo this. I would still buy the products but my love affair with the brand is over. It was all about Leighton himself for me. (I loved his honesty and cheekiness with the presenters, particularly Alison Y and Claire S.) This TSV was a good example - it looked nice and was very good value but whereas Leighton would have persuaded me to buy by watching him, I soon talked myself out of it without him (well, I do have similar colours and a million others!) and only watched a few minutes all day.

Latest posts

Back