Leighton Denny Slick Tips

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nicky-j

Registered Shopper
Has anyone out there had any success with Leighton's cuticle oil?
I've been using it in place of my usual Essie Apricot oil but my cuticles are now dry and ragged. I can be sensitive to products so it could be that, but my mum, who never reacts to anything has also been using it recently and her cuticles, too, have turned almost crispy. Sorry to be so graphic (especially if you're about to eat lunch!) but I'm curious to whether anyone else has had this problem?

I have been using it for a while and I have to say my cuticles aren't great. It doesn't seem to have done them any good whatsoever. Then again when I was using OPI Avoplex they were the same. I haven't found a product that really helps my dry and flakey cuticles. Slick tips will not be a repeat purchasse for me.

i get great results when i use slick-tips in combination with cuti-lips.

I have been using it for a while and I have to say my cuticles aren't great. It doesn't seem to have done them any good whatsoever. Then again when I was using OPI Avoplex they were the same. I haven't found a product that really helps my dry and flakey cuticles. Slick tips will not be a repeat purchasse for me.

I have found that Essie apricot cuticle oil is very good (available in Boots I think) and also like the Burt's Bees lemon cuticle butter which is a solid balm in a tin and so is very convenient for in the handbag.

Yep, another LD Product I never had any luck with as well. In fact, I've got a nearly full bottle of it on my dressing table that is going to go into the bin very soon. It has a bizarre feel compared to other oils I've used, almost a little bit gritty, but not. Absorbs ok, but dried my nails and cuticles out after a bit - and made my skin feel a bit grimy.

I have it on my desk at work and can't say it's made any difference. I prefer the Nails Inc oil.

After two bottles, I still have ragged cuticles.

To be fair, I have yet to come across something that can deal with my cuticles!!! LOL.

I mix cuticle oils use a few days of one than swap - I Use LD, OPi and liz earle super balm which I find is the best.

Probably like most people who've responded to this thread, i have literally chewed my cuticles for decades (nearly 5 decades in fact....) and bitten my nails for most of that time. And when I say chewed - well most days I'd have elastoplast round at least one of my fingers 'cos it had been bleeding. So last year, when I decided to try and get my hands sorted out, my nails were growing but were weak and bendy and used to peel and I had no idea what to do with my cuticles - they were dry and even when I managed not to chew them, it was like teh skin just wouldn't recover, they just kept sprouting more dry loose skin and hangnails.

Anyway I had some pretty good results last year with LD's BioBuild regime on my nails. I also tried Nail Envy, ProStrong and Nails Inc nails strengtheners as they all seemed to promise fantastic results. but my nails got worse with all of those and I've decided now to stick with the BioBuild. After 3 weeks my nails are already feeling stronger and have stopped peeling, so I know it's the right one for my nails.

The cuticles were a different story although I think I've finally got there - after a good 18 months of trying Avoplex, Slick Tips, the Prostrong apricot stuff and Nails Inc oils, the one that seems to work best is the Nails Inc cuticle oil. Now this might be because I'm using it properly. I heard Nicky say once that you should apply it and then massage it into the cuticle as teh massaging action helps to get it into the skin.

Anyway I did this for a few days and the results were amazing - after decades of sore dry messy cuticles they looked pink and plump and healthy! I applied it 3 or 4 times a day, massaged it in and it was absorbed after a few minutes. I never tried massaging in the Slick Tips or teh Avoplex oil so they might have worked as well if I had, but then I've never heard Leighton or the OPI ladies say you should massage theirs in so maybe it's a different formula. But i's probably worth trying with the massaging if you've not done that yet.

At times I still get loose skin or hangnails around my cuticles but becuase they are now soft and moisteurised, I can easily tidy them with a pair of cuticle trimmers (£12 from Boots - a great investment) so I'm not tempted to pick at them myself.

I've got a Slick Tips from a TSV last year and will try massaging it in to see if it works as well as the Nails Inc oil. I love Leightons' products - it was getting a LD manicure at Ragdale Hall that inspired me to sort my hands out so I could have nice nails. I'd credit him with giving me decent nails for the first time in my life but it would have to be the Nails Inc nail oil for my cuticles. I love both the ranges and their colours as well.

i would like to add also that, in my experience at least, hydrated cuticles (and nails) can only emanate from a 'regime' and not the use of a single product. no product on its own has really worked for me either.

i would like to add also that, in my experience at least, hydrated cuticles (and nails) can only emanate from a 'regime' and not the use of a single product.

I do agree with you, watersiren :) I reckon it applies to nail treatments more than to any other product that we expect them to work within a week or so and when they don't we give up, change the product.

I've recommended Milagro nail strengthener and have had feedback "it didn't work". Well, I've been using it for about 3 years and my nails are still improving, I can hardly believe it. 60-odd years of peely, bendy nails, and on top of that the awful ridges and splits that come with old age. I can't believe that my permanent splits have been repaired - just by rubbing "water" into my nails a couple of times a day at first, then just when I think of it. And I wash my hands very, very frequently (not to say compulsively, I don't have OCD ;) ).

Milagro comes with a cuticle cream which I don't use. I noticed a certain chalkiness to my nails so I started using ProStrong nail serums and that's fixed it... and, to get back on topic, my cuticles are nothing like as dry and peely (yes, I used to make them bleed too).

Paula Begoun says we should just use any rich moisturiser on our cuticles :33: My friend used to work in an old-style pork butcher's - she said all the staff had lovely soft hands and fingers cos of handling fatty things (this was the old days, before plastic gloves ;) ).

I cannot abide oil on my fingers.

clemenzina

i would like to add also that, in my experience at least, hydrated cuticles (and nails) can only emanate from a 'regime' and not the use of a single product. no product on its own has really worked for me either.

I agree. I like to think that I have a pretty good regime. Hand cream several times a day, good products and so on and I love Leighton's colours (although cannot get along with his remover). That is why I was so puzzled with the sudden reversion of my cuticles to little crispy things! The only thing I had changed was my cuticle oil, so can only assume it is that. I've looked through the ingredients (helpfully - not - listed with botanical names) and the base of the oil seems to be sweet almond and rice bran oils, which I would think would be good bases. I can only assume my problem is with one of the essential oils in there.

What works for me is CND (Creative Nail Design) Cuticle Eraser.

There are 2 sizes -I have the 15 ml one which has lasted me about 6 months applying once am & once pm. It's is an AHA product so gently exfoliates the cuticle and hangnails, whilst also moisturising them at the same time (no need to rinse off).

It took about 4 weeks use for me to see a difference - a HG product.

I use Jessica Phenom oil and I like it, even use a few drops in hand cream. Slick tips to me smells of lemon and if so(and I'm not doting) that would be drying.:64:

Latest posts

Back