Laura Geller v. Smashbox - Opinions please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

VALM

Registered Shopper
Hello, I'm going to the States shortly and plan on having a wee spree in Sephora. Was especially after some new eyeliners (not pencil ones though), peach blush and lip gloss and was wondering whether anyone had any recs for these particular products from either LG or Smashbox. Does anyone prefer one brand over the other? Cheers.

Hi, VALM, firstly, I must say how jealous I am that you're going to Sephora - my husband has been know to have to drag me to the tillpoint to pay because I spent so much time in there - and I had a list!

Personally I am split between the two. I love LG for her baked products. They are just wonderful. And then I love Smashbox for their foundation primers (I love the green colour correcting one) and brushes. I haven't had a Smashbox mascara to try, so can't comment on that. Love the LG mascaras - prefer them over Prescriptives (and they're the only ones I will use). You will definitely have a better selection of lipglosses from Smashbox. LG does nicer blushers because she does the baked collection which I personally prefer - doesn't matter that you can't apply it like a professional. I can't comment on the eyeliner though as, even though I have the LG new baked collection ones, I haven't tried them.

I hope you make a lot of time available as you will be amazed with the brands that Sephora stock - you might find something completely different! Enjoy!!!

Hello, I'm going to the States shortly and plan on having a wee spree in Sephora. Was especially after some new eyeliners (not pencil ones though), peach blush and lip gloss and was wondering whether anyone had any recs for these particular products from either LG or Smashbox. Does anyone prefer one brand over the other? Cheers.

smashbox for me every time. can't beat the eyeshadows - fab quality. love the halo - my best beauty buy (apart from urban decay's eyeshadow primer potion) which is a staple for me now. I think the brand is great quality and reasonably priced

Hi, VALM, firstly, I must say how jealous I am that you're going to Sephora - my husband has been know to have to drag me to the tillpoint to pay because I spent so much time in there - and I had a list!

Thanks for your response. I have already forewarned MrM that I am likely to be some time and he should find somewhere else to go whilst I'm in there! He's actually talking about going to see a film - he understands, eh?

I too have a list though it's growing all the time!

Smashbox all the way - I have tried LG in tsv's before but returned them. LG seem a bit dull and powdery and flat - Smashbox seem to have a bit more of a glow (not too shiney - just healthy like). Halo is simply the best product ever.

Personally,I prefer Smasbox.Love everything they do except their mascara which always leaves me with Panda eyes.My tsv arrived this morning & I swear the Halo is one of the best makeup items I've ever used.My skin looked flawless after using it though I used it over a liquid foundation as I thought the Halo on it's own wouldn't give quite enough coverage.Might give it a go tomorrow,though.
Am using a Laura Geller mascara atm & it's fab.Also,love anything Baked by Laura.

Why not book a make-up consultation? Then you could try before you buy! I wanted one but sadly ran out of time.

Also, just read this on their site:
October 17 - 18
All Stores
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEAUTIFUL!
Beauty Insiders Only!

It's our birthday, but you get the gift: Stroll into Sephora October 17th and 18th, sit down for a consultation, and score a FREE lip gloss case (perfect for party touch-ups!).

Space is limited. Please call the store to book your appointment today.

Have a fab time and let us know what you bought!

I tend to prefer different items from both brands - I still have the LG duo lip and eye primer and think it's brilliant, also prefer her concealers - what really surprised me was that I also just about prefer her baked eyeliner to the smashbox eyeliners - I am amazed to find myself thinking this way, as I also really like the smashbox ones. I have had a slight reaction to one of the LG shadows, and this has never happened with smashbox - I also prefer their lip products. For mascara it's Lancome or Avon for me (my daughter sells Avon so I feel it's only right to support her, but have been surprisingly impressed by the mascara for every day). Used to love the Smashbox Seamless foundation, bought the replacement and returned it, have yet to find one I like as much as Seamless.
Enjoy Sephora, the one at Times Square blew my mind! If you are going to any of the Outlets (I went to Woodberry Common and it was amazing), have a look in their beauty shops - my friend bought Bobbi Brown at ridiculously low prices (I took so long going round to Gap, Timberland etc I didn't even get to the bliddy shop - was royally fed up)

Thanks again ladies. We will be stopping off at some Outlets before we hit the mall (see I speak the language already!!:1:) and will be on the look out for bargains first.

Re: mascara and foundation I use the Clinique Lash Power and Almost Powder so will be restocking on these. It has taken me a long time to find these HG products. I wear glasses so any volumising/lengthening mascaras always ended up coats on my lenses rather than staying put however Lash Power does the job. And it has taken me ages to find a mineral foundation to match my skin tone.

Oh wow! I used to love Sephora when we had it here.

It's Smashbox for me, although I do like Balance N Brighten. However, the more I use Smashbox Halo, the more it is growing on me!

BTW - some European brands are cheaper in the US than they are here I discovered recently looking on their site (my beloved Korres being one of them).

Happy Shopping!!

i think smashbox are better quality than laura geller. the only product from smashbox that i do not like are the mascara as it flaked and smudged like mad. i have had a couple of items from laura geller not impressed at all. the worst was the brushes. i found the spackle amde my skin feel really greasy. i also found the bronze and brighten looked muddy and not a nice finish.

I'm shifting more to Laura Geller nowadays as I have found Smashbox facial products to be a bit too shimmery for me of late.
I love Smashbox Lip glosses though over Laura Geller's

Are you going to Orlando?

Have you thought of visiting Ulta they sell Smasbox, OPI, Essie etc if you check online it will give you an idea of the brands they sell, but they usually have lots more products in store than is listed on the website. They sell a mixture of high end & drug store brands.

They may have coupons you can print off now, save $$, BOGOFs & they sometimes offer free gift sets with certain purchases.

Also might be worth checking out the returns policy of the shop you purchase from -might be more liberal there, just thinking if you end up with the wrong shade of something. Just that on a beauty site I visit lots of the people in the US chat about returning beauty items.

Hope you have a great time.

Latest posts

Back