Laughter Lines

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just caught up with the Horizon programme and I thought it was terrible. Beautiful bright woman, fabulous styling, gazillions of designer handbags and she takes absolutely ages to tell us stuff that's been around for donkey's years: ooh, there's UVA AND UVB... ooh, there's stuff called Free Radicals.... ooh, slap some sunscreen on..... ooh, a cosmetic firm has some new wonder potion in the laboratory that has been tested on (ahem!) just 60 people. Pathetic standards from the BBC's supposed flagship science programme.

Perhaps they'd have been better with a dermatologist than a surgeon? Then we may have learned about stuff proven to work (such as Retin-A).... Perhaps they couldn't find one telegenic enough? Dumbed down nonsense.

I think, and I can't be sure as we have another 5 programmes to go, that the point she will be making is that NOTHING exists at the moment that can cure or halt the ageing process. The only method we have that makes a real visual difference is the knife - hence a surgeon & not a dermatologist fronting the programme.
Dermatology has no answers.
You can slap any cream you like on your face until the cows come home, but no cream exists that can reach the area that really matters - the subcutaneous tissue. All that can be offered is surface treatments for the epidermis.

Diet has no real answer either.

Just caught up with the Horizon programme and I thought it was terrible. Beautiful bright woman, fabulous styling, gazillions of designer handbags and she takes absolutely ages to tell us stuff that's been around for donkey's years: ooh, there's UVA AND UVB... ooh, there's stuff called Free Radicals.... ooh, slap some sunscreen on..... ooh, a cosmetic firm has some new wonder potion in the laboratory that has been tested on (ahem!) just 60 people. Pathetic standards from the BBC's supposed flagship science programme.

Perhaps they'd have been better with a dermatologist than a surgeon? Then we may have learned about stuff proven to work (such as Retin-A).... Perhaps they couldn't find one telegenic enough? Dumbed down nonsense.

I missed the program . I wonder if I can get it on the net:thinking:

I think, and I can't be sure as we have another 5 programmes to go, that the point she will be making is that NOTHING exists at the moment that can cure or halt the ageing process. The only method we have that makes a real visual difference is the knife - hence a surgeon & not a dermatologist fronting the programme.
Dermatology has no answers.
You can slap any cream you like on your face until the cows come home, but no cream exists that can reach the area that really matters - the subcutaneous tissue. All that can be offered is surface treatments for the epidermis.

Diet has no real answer either.

There are 6 programmes in the new Horizon series but they are all on different subjects - the next one's on space exploration and Mars and nothing to do with ageing or skincare. That programme was supposed to be complete in itself. I thought it was terrible - especially the bit where she seemed to endorse a commercial product that is still in the lab and has only been tested on 60 people (and not in a blind trial). Well dodgy for a public broadcaster's science strand. The programme seemed to be more about Dr Ali's fine looks and style rather than about science.

Aw, I'm gutted.
I thought it was 1 of 6 not a one off programme.

I understand that it wasn't your cup of tea QVC, but I thought it was very good. In my view, it took the lid off the misconceptions people have about skin care.
I didn't think she was endorsing the L'Oreal cream. I interpreted that feature as an example of how the beauty industry is making strides into anti-ageing skincare, but they are not there yet. Yes, creams can help with the visual appearance of your skin, it can make your skin feel comfortable, but wash it off and you are back to square one.

That's good.

If you do get around to watching it, let us know what you think caretodiffer.

That's good.

If you do get around to watching it, let us know what you think caretodiffer.

Finished watching it,minim.
Ms. Ali seems to have everything, doesn't she,:envy: looks, brains ,money and a good figure (maybe on the thin side:happy) and good handbags:mysmilie_478:.

I found the programme quite interesting, some of it was what we already knew, but it had other interesting bits , like that in future we may be able just to swallow capsule for sun protection(just think our Abbey will be out of a job:giggle: )

I knew bright coloured vegetables and fish were good for us because of the antioxidants and Omega-3 factors, I always associated them with cancer but I did not associate them with anti ageing till now.

I was interested to know that L'Oreal are doing a good research(I know they are of course thinking of how much richer they will become)but
they do have more money for research than our academic researchers and if anyone can find an anti-ageing cream, they will.
They have yet again, developed a better cream. Dr. Ali did say it was not fully comprehensive since it was only tested on 60 women. She also said that there are other options than the scalpels :happy:

I am very glad I could watch it:sun:

I look forward to the Omega pill. I like broccoli & mackerel but I could never eat the portions that would make a difference & quite frankly, it's impossible to do so.

I knew of the areas she covered but the Omega pill & the squid eye properties were new information.

She was gorgeous. I wonder if this went against the message the programme was trying to convey. Maybe someone like Miriam Margolyes would have been a better choice lol

I look forward to the Omega pill. I like broccoli & mackerel but I could never eat the portions that would make a difference & quite frankly, it's impossible to do so.

I knew of the areas she covered but the Omega pill & the squid eye properties were new information.

She was gorgeous. I wonder if this went against the message the programme was trying to convey. Maybe someone like Miriam Margolyes would have been a better choice lol
Maybe you are right about the presenter:happy: She hardly had any wrinkles and she was so lean that even if she had them, they had no flesh to go deep:giggle: She looked better without make-up than with.
I have a feeling that the capsule will be out soon, because there are more and more cases of skin cancer, due to the fact that the world is becoming smaller for travellers.
I do love peppered mackerel but broccoli doesn't like me:sad: but like you said, you have to eat lots of it (did she say a kilo:eek: )

Haven't watched this yet but intend to do so.

Speaking of L'Oreale, they own Lancome and a friend of mine used to work for them while she was studying part-time for her PhD. Most of their cutting edge, high end products end up as cheaper versions sold under the L'Oreale label in the 'dreaded' supermarkets within a year of their launch.

I thought the blood sugar level aspect was interesting. Especially to me as I have blood sugar problems. The diabetic drug, Metformin, has been given the thumbs up as an anti-ageing drug from some quarters for some time. And of course that regulates blood sugar levels. It's not available here without prescription but I think it is in some countries. Not suggesting that anyone buys it or tries it.

I'm generously road testing it for us all. I need it for medical reasons and have taken it for several years. I've no ****** idea if it's working or not of course. Because I've no idea what I'd be like without it!

The products which she talked about are YSL's new range. O'Lreal own YSL now and launched it last year, the packaging went on about Noble Prize Winner working on it etc.

So the new one will be a cheaper version of YSL under L'Oreal name.

Latest posts

Back