Kipling experts, please advise

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Satis

Registered Shopper
I think I'm going to buy a Kipling bag as my main handbag. I've been using a Stone Mountain one, but it's a bit too small.

I was going to splash out with another LeSportsac, but you can only get them in the States and they don't ship them to the UK.

I've got a big unstructured Kipling called Joanne which is not really what I need.

What I'm looking for is something quite big (big enough to accomodate a paper-back book and loads of junk) and with lots of pockets.

Not fussy, and as light as possible.

And no flap. I hate bags with a flap-over.

Would the Breezer be right for me?

The Defea would be my ideal bag http://www.ebags.co.uk/kipling/defe...0_off/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=120094 and fits your spec. I regularly take it on days out and can fit my digital camera in one front pocket, pop the sat nav in the other, keys in the front, purse and book safely inside, zipped pocket inside for passport, etc. and another zipped pocket on the back against your body - plenty of space.

QVC call it the Delta but I think it's the same design of bag. I have it in Raspberry and the new Winter Beige.
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.133140/walk.yah.UKFA-UK22

My everyday bag, a bit smaller, is the Fairfax. Has no flap over but has sections plus a zipped central area and like the Defea/Delta, an optional shoulder strap or handles. A paperback would fit in it plus lots of other bits and pieces. I think it may have been a TSV with matching purse and I bought it in the Cherry which I love. http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.138483/walk.yah.UKFA-UK22

I've now got two Breezers (the first one I bought quite a few years ago) and the last one around four weeks ago (I actually bought it from an eBay seller as I wanted a particular colour and couldn't find it anywhere else - bag came next day).

For me, they are the ideal size bag and yes you could fit a paperback book in and all sorts of junk (as I do). It doesn't have loads of pockets in though - it has the zip up compartment at the front which has pockets inside for a mobile - something else a little narrower, two pen holders and the bit that comes down has a mesh zip compartment, the whole width of the bag.
There is also another compartment on the back of the bag which fastens with velco - as well as the usual zip compartment in the main body of the bag.

Fab bag! :biggrin

QVC seem to have the biggest selection of colours in this style and you get a purse as well.

The Defea would be my ideal bag

Thank you. I hadn't seen that one.

It looks good, and probably big enough for me. My only slight reservation is the appearance is not symmetrical. I know this is a bit bonkers, but I like bags which are even...

But this does look promising.

Bit weird on Amazon; it says 'people who bought this went on to buy 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'.

I'll go and get the tape measure in a moment, but I assume this is bigger that the Breezer?

For me, they are the ideal size bag and yes you could fit a paperback book in and all sorts of junk (as I do). It doesn't have loads of pockets
It looks good, but I do like lots of big compartments. The LeSportsac I bought in San Francisco had lots of outer pockets and two main ones. It was perfect, but they're being totally unco-operative about selling outside the States.

I don't understand why more bag makers don't do big, separate main compartments. That 'Joanne' I have is lovely but pointless; everything goes into a huge pile in the middle and I can't find a thing...

Candy candy candy candy candy

It's the best by far for pockets.

From front to back:

1. Long thin pocket secured by velco flap. Sort of cheque book size & shape. I use this one for make-up
  2. Main pocket 1 This is the one with loads of slots for credit cards and the usual spaces for mobile phone & purse. The flap that has the credit card spaces sewn into it has space behind it as well and I put my camera here (it's quite small) Even when the pockets are full in this section there's still room for items in between (Ventolin, keys etc)
  3. Main pocket 2. I think this one would fit a paperback book although I'm not quite sure. I use it for umbrella, small bottles of water, small bits of shopping etc. It doesn't fit a newspaper though (unless you fold it into 4 and squash it in!)
  4. Back pocket. This is a little zipped pocket just the right size for a packet of wet wipes/tissues etc. If I'm using the bag as a backpack I put my purse in here as it's safer.

I love the bag because you can wear it over the shoulder, cross body or as a backpack. It looks quite small and compact but because it's so deep you can fit a surprising amount into it.

It's also the best 'organiser' bag I've ever had (and I'm obsessed with pockets lol)

And I hate bags with flaps, I just don't see the point.

The only thing is that I'm not quite sure that it's going to be big enough for you because it sounds like you carry arround more than I do.

Any chance you could get to a Kipling shop Satis? or have you looked at the rtherapy site because they've got some very clear videos (although Brett's hands seem to be so big that they make the bags look small!)

I have the Jeel in lipstick red. It has a big front zipped pocket, two end zipped pockets, one zipped pocket inside, roomy central bit and a zip at the back, it holds my whole life. I got the last TSV and while it looks nice I find the strap uncomfortable on my shoulder.

Any chance you could get to a Kipling shop Satis? or have you looked at the rtherapy site because they've got some very clear videos

Oh thank you! I've spent the WHOLE morning browsing for Kipling. Now, of course, I'm absolutely dazed.

I love the sound and look of Candy, but I think you're right, it would be too small. My current Stone Mountain bag is 25x23x9 and it's a bit too small (also the wrong shape) and the Candy is 22x19x6.

Mimi, the Jeel sounds good (and bigger, 27x22x14) and I'm very tempted to go for this one.

Have also been looking at Arkan, Milla, Defea, Neworder, Breezer and Bravo. You see why I'm confused?

Actually, I rather incline towards Bravo, because it has two main compartments which I like. But I can only find it in blue, and I really want black.

Oh dear...

Incidentally, I think Bravo has been renamed Pisa, does anyone know?

This is just adding to my confusion!

Oh thank you! I've spent the WHOLE morning browsing for Kipling. Now, of course, I'm absolutely dazed.

I love the sound and look of Candy, but I think you're right, it would be too small. My current Stone Mountain bag is 25x23x9 and it's a bit too small (also the wrong shape) and the Candy is 22x19x6.

Mimi, the Jeel sounds good (and bigger, 27x22x14) and I'm very tempted to go for this one.

Have also been looking at Arkan, Milla, Defea, Neworder, Breezer and Bravo. You see why I'm confused?

Actually, I rather incline towards Bravo, because it has two main compartments which I like. But I can only find it in blue, and I really want black.

Oh dear...

I have the Arkan (medium one I think - they do 2 sizes!).
If you tell me what you want to put in it I'll try to fit it in mine for you and report back if you like! :)
I do love the Arkan. I also have the Candy but prefer the Arkan.
Also the Mando is quite roomy.

I have the Arkan (medium one I think - they do 2 sizes!).
If you tell me what you want to put in it I'll try to fit it in mine for you and report back if you like! :)
I do love the Arkan. I also have the Candy but prefer the Arkan.
Also the Mando is quite roomy.

Gosh, thank you!

Looking in my bag now, there's a large leather purse, a medium-sized paper-back book, a cheque-book, a diary, ID pass, Oyster card, Fitbug (little pedometer thing) a small digital camera, my new Sandisk MP3 player, standard size shorthand notebook, six biros (!) small make-up bag, car and house keys, assorted papers, drivers licence, passport, photographs, nail file, tweezers, small packet of tissues, dog chew, one dog-pick-up bag. Normally there would be a PDA in there too. And a newspaper rolled up and shoved in the top somewhere. Oh, and of course, I forgot, two mobile phones.

The thing is, I can shove all that lot in the Joanne, but then I can't find anything. And it's got leather trim which makes it quite weighty. I really do need lots of compartments. But I can't bear to carry anything too heavy, which is why I'm going for a light synthetic

The nice thing about the Bravo/Pisa is that it has two main compartments and a middle open area -- like this Stone Mountain bag, but bigger, I think. One reviewer said she sometimes put spare shoes in hers while shopping!

Off to look at the Arkan again.

Last edited:
Looking at that list Satis, I think if you were going for Arkan you'd need the large! lol :D

Looking at that list Satis, I think if you were going for Arkan you'd need the large! lol :D

Yes. Basically, I prefer to use the car as my handbag, but unfortunately that doesn't work in Central London.

Well, the Pisa I bought on Ebay has arrived. It looks good. It's big, with two main zipped compartments and a large open area between them, into which I can fit one of those wonderful Tintamar liners.

It is lilac, and rather bright, but I think I can live with it. Only mild criticism is that the handles are quite short, it's going to be hard to squeeze it over my shoulder when I'm wearing a thick coat.

The Tintamar lining I sent for was called Dusky Rose, but is what I call salmon pink; it looks vomit-inducing with the lilac so I'm going to change it for black, which is what I should have gone for in the first place.

I also ordered the velvet TSV in black, and the Tintamar thing will revitalise the Joanne. I'm also looking at the tote/laptop bags.

I can feel a new obsession coming on.

Thanks for all the advice; what a brillilant resource this forum is!

Latest posts

Back