Kelly Hoppen tsv

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I watched the launch last night. Catherine Huntley seemed to be walking on eggshells - very nervous.

I have noticed that KH is a very prickly character, and she makes no bones about showing her irritation with the hapless presenter. She clearly HATED being reminded constantly of 40 years in the business. She also alluded to having had pressure from QVC for more colour.

I did like how Catherine tried to (and finally succeeded in) drawing her out about how she started and what keeps her going. That was more interesting than anything else during the hour, but of course that's not really why any of them are there.

The only presenter I've felt had a decent rapport with Kelly was Craig Rowe - she seems to warm to him.

very uncomfortable but i feel that what also makes a good presenter is one that knows when to stop the line of questioning. because it seemed like she was being interviewd not co presenting a throw on shopping telly.

I watched the launch last night. Catherine Huntley seemed to be walking on eggshells - very nervous.

I have noticed that KH is a very prickly character, and she makes no bones about showing her irritation with the hapless presenter. She clearly HATED being reminded constantly of 40 years in the business. She also alluded to having had pressure from QVC for more colour.

I did like how Catherine tried to (and finally succeeded in) drawing her out about how she started and what keeps her going. That was more interesting than anything else during the hour, but of course that's not really why any of them are there.

The only presenter I've felt had a decent rapport with Kelly was Craig Rowe - she seems to warm to him.

This is an interesting post. I agree with you about her being prickly, and yes: little Craigy gets the best out of her. Whether it's because he's so cowed by her that she feels she's automatically got the upper hand and doesn't need to assert herself, or whether it's because he genuinely doesn't give a stuff about her 'fame' and she reacts favourably to this lack of obsequiousness I don't know.

I remember watching a show with her years ago with Charlie Brook and she did nothing to suppress her dislike of him - all of his 'jokes' and quips were met with stony silence or a 'ha...' from her. Though I'm no fan of Mr Slow Reveal, I can imagine that she's difficult to work with.

Last edited:
i felt a bit uncomfortable for her when she said her father was killed...tbh she is quite sensitive but in this instance i felt that catherine lacked sensibility. it was not appropiate.......unless this is a prequil to ms hoppens autobiogarphy and it will be sold on qvc along with the many other bits n bobs kelly has in the pipeline

Very true. I got the Ikat design and while lovely to look at it is too big ,my bedroom is medium size but I can't have the draping on the floor so it ends up folded. As for cats yes they like and I discourage the cats from the bedrooms but they seem to find a way and then theres a problem with cat hairs sticking to it so I have to fold it and put it on a chair most of the time .If I had a showcase bedroom and no cats then I could see the point.Its good quality but impractical...

Also I liked the bedside lamps she did as a TSV but they sold out and I was hoping they would come back,but seems not.

sorry but the bedside lamps were NOT a TSV but she has said she is bringing more decorative pieces & furniture from her own range later in the year so they might come back

I often feel very uncomfortable watching Ms Hoppen! She is SO serious and the presenters are usually very nervous around her. She very much looks down her nose and almost sneers at them. She really doesn't like any silly small talk and basically looks like she'd like to be anywhere but with such lowly minions. Catherine got the colours mixed up and thought celadon was taupe, gosh Kelly's face was like thunder and she certainly put poor Catherine in her place. She really does come across as a real diva. That said l would dearly love to try her range and see how it compares to Northern Nights. I am seriously debating ordering a bedding set today but am worried hubby will go mad!

I often feel very uncomfortable watching Ms Hoppen! She is SO serious and the presenters are usually very nervous around her. She very much looks down her nose and almost sneers at them. She really doesn't like any silly small talk and basically looks like she'd like to be anywhere but with such lowly minions. Catherine got the colours mixed up and thought celadon was taupe, gosh Kelly's face was like thunder and she certainly put poor Catherine in her place. She really does come across as a real diva. That said l would dearly love to try her range and see how it compares to Northern Nights. I am seriously debating ordering a bedding set today but am worried hubby will go mad!

i dunno if its just me but i think this range is produced by northern nights for Q but under kellys name

Yes I noticed that too.
I think the main difficulty is it's very difficult to talk about a bedspread for 15 minutes, there needs to be natural tangents of conversation to fill the time, and it just didn't feel very natural between the two of them. It felt more like an interview rather than a conversation.

Kelly Hoppen is very precise and considered, an excellent quality for her line of work, but not necessarily for off the cuff general chit chat on a TV show. I don't mind her for this very reason, sometimes stupid inane chit chat on TV is more irritating than someone who wants to stick straight to what they're selling.

Last edited:
I cannot understand why any guest should think it is beneath them to be on the Q, after all, QVC sells THOUSANDS of their products in a DAY, compared to maybe around a HUNDRED or so sold in stores in a YEAR!! So I think they have to be nice to QVC ! I have no time for snooty people selling their stuff on the Q. They are just the salesmen/women! They are selling their wares, just like any other vendor. She is not doing the QVC viewers a favour, it is the other way round, the QVC viewers who buy her stuff are doing her a great favour by buying her bedding, and other products , and adding more coppers in her bank account.

It's quite interesting you say that last line, as I felt of all of them she'd be terrible with craig rowe due to the notion of him being qvc's equivalent of a pop idol winner. Though it's not the case, she does actually seem to like him.

But again I get the impression he is one of the few that is genuinely nice as opposed to tv nice.

Well, he does seem to have every piece of bedding from her collection in his 1 bed flat !!!!

Does anyone else remember when she first started - her mike was still on and could quite clearly heard to say at the end "was that £60,000 pounds worth done then?" to Craig.

I too don't like the small talk, but equally I find KH rather insufferable, - there's a good saying .........."remember the little people on the way up, cos you'll need them on the way down".

If NN are responsible for her range, then I think it could be a 'Ratner' moment - where Gerald Ratner said a prawn sandwich from M & S was better value than his 9ct gold earrings !!

KH definitely said that QVC make to her design during the hour with Catherine. As far as I can gather NN is premium cotton QVC own brand, Mayfair Manor and Cozee Home are also QVC own brands. I therefore would assume that any of the designers who have ever produced bedding for QVC are likely to have produced (or chosen) designs to be manufactured by the Q's in-house supplier.

The only designer brand that seems to have any staying power with QVC is Kelly, probably because the qualities that make her uncomfortable viewing make sure that the bedding is a high quality product. Most of the others they've had I've never heard of (but maybe big names in the US) until they were on QVC. With the exception of Cozee Homes, the mention of polyester and I'm gone, and most of the brands seemed to be poly cotton or poly. I came to the conclusion many years ago that I get my best nights' sleep on cotton.

I saw the bit where CH got celadon and taupe muddled up, and KH was not best pleased. But to be fair to CH (unlike me) I thought the celadon colour varied an awful lot on the three or so items they showed. Perhaps it was the studio lighting but it looked very different to me between throws and duvets. Likewise, a shot of the taupe TSV in the studio looked almost chocolate, whereas the cushion when on the bed looked normal taupe. I assume that everything celadon is in fact the same colour so that was some curious lighting, and not very helpful to the viewer.

Her personality is as bland as her bedding colours.
I have a few sets but have bought them from Birchwood for a fraction of the price and are good quality but I would not pay full price. If you like bright colours this is not the range to go for.

I noticed this too and found it quite unpleasant to witness the patronising, condescending manner in which Kelly 'dealt' with Catherine... She obviously deferred to Kelly as the expert but when C tired to suggest putting a blue bedspread with an ivory one, she was shot down. Then she said K likes playing with 3 of an item and she (and we!!) got a lecture on how many cushions we SHOULD have on the bed, where they should sit and all the rest...!

Kelly and Catherine both repeatedly said in that and then Chloe in another bit of Kelly show I saw how Kelly's style is the epitome of glass and couldn't possibly not appeal to literally everyone. Well I hate her look! I find the rooms she designs dull, and footballer's wivesy! And I find her bland neutrals depressingly devoid of colour.
Sorry rant over! If she so snidey I would probably be more inclined to listen to her advice. But I don't think she needs to be do prescriptive - if you like her bedding, buy it but I don't one should be made to feel there are strict rules on how to dress a room etc..

Had a look at her higher thread count sets on qvc website and they get very mixed reviews. The 700tc sets seem to have ratings under 3.5 ish on several with comments on quality issues and the like...
I know it's not got the designer name but if that doesn't bother you, do check out www.soakandsleep.com for high thread counts at great prices - and always offers on. I also just bought fab wool topper for my bed with 55% off...

Had a look at her higher thread count sets on qvc website and they get very mixed reviews. The 700tc sets seem to have ratings under 3.5 ish on several with comments on quality issues and the like...

And bear in mind that it's actually 350TC - like Northern Nights, they count the warps AND the wefts to double the apparent thread count for marketing reasons. A decent brand, like Yves Delorme will just count the warps which is the traditional way of classifying weaves - like this set http://uk.yvesdelorme.com/p/b/visible-bedlinen.html

I hate myself obviously, but I actually quite like KH.

It's possible that she just doesn't like CHuntley, (God knows I don't), because she seemed fine with Pipa last night.
Who knows?

Latest posts

Back