Julia's Hair

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maybe she's too scared to change her hair style after having your hair a certain way for so long you get scared to give yourself a change i know personally been a fake blonde for yrs and recently gone back to my more natural brown took me while to get used to but love it now it does you good a change she don't need to go drastic maybe just a bit shorter. another one who could do with a change jilly i like her but she could do with a revamp hair wise

I'm not saying she should change her style but she could take a half inch off her fringe.:emo:

I'm not saying she should change her style but she could take a half inch off her fringe.:emo:

If there's one thing that bugs me it's when anybody is speaking either on tv, or in real life and as they blink their fringe takes on a life of it's own. I'm desperate to reach out and push it away from their eyes! It would drive me mad if was mine, and it drives me mad to watch it on others. How can they stand it?:thinking:

Am watching the hour with Julia & AY.Think JR looks very good & she has admitted to 54 ( shock horror!!) youngster! Her hair looks good but it will be interesting to see how JR, if she remains around, will approach her late 50's & into her 60's.So many women hang onto their long dark locks, & IMO looks so ageing.I had dark hair, then got lighter & lighter with highlights until I am now my natural grey/white colour.I have times when I think I should be 'blonde' but have yet to meet a haidresser who will agree to that.Grey is great! I

Am watching the hour with Julia & AY.Think JR looks very good & she has admitted to 54 ( shock horror!!) youngster! Her hair looks good but it will be interesting to see how JR, if she remains around, will approach her late 50's & into her 60's.So many women hang onto their long dark locks, & IMO looks so ageing.I had dark hair, then got lighter & lighter with highlights until I am now my natural grey/white colour.I have times when I think I should be 'blonde' but have yet to meet a haidresser who will agree to that.Grey is great! I

I'm not a JR fan, but, I don't think she looks too bad - imo tho she would look much better for a haircut! I started going grey early and used to colour my hair but I stopped when I got to about 55 (now almost 63) as I felt it looked too "intense" and made me look older...I'm now more salt than pepper and get compliments on my hair and some people even ask where I get my highlights done!!!! I do think Julia's too old to have hair that long tho...a nice jawline bob would suit her and look so much better. You're right Silver Fox, grey IS great...not a Dale Franklin fan either but do think his hair is nice!

Well she's not the only one who dyes her hair is she and it would be unusual not to want to at that age, but the style could be much more flattering if it was shorter. Talking of roots showing through and going off at a tangent I saw Claire presenting some jewellery the other day and her dark roots were showing, uhm and I always thought she was a natural blond. :wait:

Claire has excellent quality hair - but I think the colour is a bit harsh. She has kind of greeny eyes, and dark eyebrows so maybe a mid brown with some lovely caramel or goldy highlights would be better. Do like Claire - think she is fun and gorgeous - just think the hair colour is a bit blocky.

Last edited:
I think Julia would look lovely wth a chin length bob.I think her current hair style is ageing.

As for Claire,her hair is just awfully unflattering,too long, too yellow,too old fashioned and she hasn't got a pretty enough face to carry it off,she looked much much nicer when it was short imho.

To Busy Mum

think it depends on your skin tone?Julia is more tanned/ olive so silver hair? All I am saying we have to find what suits us best--- but if it is grey? go there!It can make you look younger than darker?

To Busy Mum

think it depends on your skin tone?Julia is more tanned/ olive so silver hair? All I am saying we have to find what suits us best--- but if it is grey? go there!It can make you look younger than darker?

true enough...I was very dark, almost black haired, but with fair skin - if Julia let her hair go she wouldn't necessarily end up with a mane of silver hair but perhaps just a lighter version of what she is now - usually what nature gives us suits us I think...having said that, my mum had a darker skin tone and ended up with beautiful white hair, and that suited her, so perhaps there's no hard and fast rule...perhaps the main thing as you age is accepting the ageing process? I can do that with my appearance, it's the bl00dy arthritis that does me..!

I also face a constant battle with my roots. I've been dying my hair (warm mid brown) for years now and after 2-3 weeks my nearly 100% grey roots start to get quite visible. I can just about do 4 weeks between colours and recently have been toying with the idea of going au naturale - but the grow out could be quite grim. Probably need to do it in stages - go lighter and lighter with highlights etc. until the roots start to blend better.

Dr Jude can I recommend a product called ColourB4 from boots (larger branches...order it on line for delivery to collect from your local one if they don't carry it).

It successfully removed my mid brown hair colour without bleaching it out. It'll remove hair colour but if the hair is stained Scott Cornwall, the guy who created it, recommends using a temporary ash blonde toner to even the colour until it grows thru. My hair's blonde again now and no damage to the condition. The worst part is rinsing for 20mins (feels like 2 hours). The colour might have permenantly stained the shaft if it is high in silicones (the ones that promote shine or say anti-fade, and the 10 minute permenant dyes) and if you've used GHDs (or high temp straighteners) as the silicones fuse the colour to the shaft of the hair and it can't be removed. It costs about a tenner whereas a hair salon would charge £££ to remove a colour (if they would even tackle it). The colour you're left with is your base colour (salt n pepper in my case) but if the dye used has peroxide to lift before the brown shade is fixed, there might be a slight brassiness in the end result - hence the ash toner (nice n easy level1). Don't use a blonde permenant colour or Born Blonde type product to remove a brown dye...you'll end up with melted hair :sad:

Sorry off topic. (Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs)

Jude xx

I also face a constant battle with my roots. I've been dying my hair (warm mid brown) for years now and after 2-3 weeks my nearly 100% grey roots start to get quite visible. I can just about do 4 weeks between colours and recently have been toying with the idea of going au naturale - but the grow out could be quite grim. Probably need to do it in stages - go lighter and lighter with highlights etc. until the roots start to blend better.

Me toooooo, apart from the fact that I'm nowhere near ready to go natural yet. About a year ago I started using light brown shades as opposed to mid brown so that the roots are less noticeable, but I reckon I've got about another ten years of colouring every 3-4 weeks before I think about letting the grey win.

Jude & Lipstick....I switched to Light Ash Brown shades as I got more grey, rather than the mid brown warmer shades...perhaps this might help....

Dr Jude can I recommend a product called ColourB4 from boots (larger branches...order it on line for delivery to collect from your local one if they don't carry it).

It successfully removed my mid brown hair colour without bleaching it out. It'll remove hair colour but if the hair is stained Scott Cornwall, the guy who created it, recommends using a temporary ash blonde toner to even the colour until it grows thru. My hair's blonde again now and no damage to the condition. The worst part is rinsing for 20mins (feels like 2 hours). The colour might have permenantly stained the shaft if it is high in silicones (the ones that promote shine or say anti-fade, and the 10 minute permenant dyes) and if you've used GHDs (or high temp straighteners) as the silicones fuse the colour to the shaft of the hair and it can't be removed. It costs about a tenner whereas a hair salon would charge £££ to remove a colour (if they would even tackle it). The colour you're left with is your base colour (salt n pepper in my case) but if the dye used has peroxide to lift before the brown shade is fixed, there might be a slight brassiness in the end result - hence the ash toner (nice n easy level1). Don't use a blonde permenant colour or Born Blonde type product to remove a brown dye...you'll end up with melted hair :sad:

Sorry off topic. (Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs)

Jude xx

Thanks for that. Not sure I'd be brave enough to attempt to do it myself. Also I think my colorist has used the new technology silicone based product recently (horrid experience to remove it) and I use GHDs. His advice was not to bleach it out because my hair woudl not take it well (melted hair as you say) but to go gradual by using progressively lighter shades and adding highights.

Jude & Lipstick....I switched to Light Ash Brown shades as I got more grey, rather than the mid brown warmer shades...perhaps this might help....

Yes, that has crossed my mind too. The problem is I really like the warmth from the chestnut/caramel browns. I will turn to the ash browns in a few years when I start seriously thinking about giving up "the bottle".

If you have good quality hair, a funky haircut and toned-down make-up, I think grey hair can be very striking. So many people have the white stripe look and very blocky too-dark colour, and this is ageing. As become grey skin colour fades as well, so keeping you hair the same colour as it has always been, does not suit. It looks too harsh. Too dark hair can look a bit witchy, especially if it is worn too long.

I have black hair and am just starting to get the first white hairs, they are pure white rather than grey

I have very long hair at the moment and am 35 but know as I get older I will have to get it lightened even if I am not white all over to stop it looking too harsh and it will also have o be cut

I have an olive skin which I am sure will lose colour as I get older, i think a lot of people make the mistak of dyeing their hair to their natural colour but a dye is always different to a natural colour

If you have good quality hair, a funky haircut and toned-down make-up, I think grey hair can be very striking. So many people have the white stripe look and very blocky too-dark colour, and this is ageing. As become grey skin colour fades as well, so keeping you hair the same colour as it has always been, does not suit. It looks too harsh. Too dark hair can look a bit witchy, especially if it is worn too long.

I agree Rosie...I keep my hair quite short and spike it up, plenty of texture - as I said in a previous post, I get lots of compliments on it...I've never been a beauty but I feel my 40s and 50s were probably my best years, and now, at almost 63, I feel attractive in a different way with my grey hair looking good and my daughter helping me out with make-up tips...I think I have more confidence in my appearance now than in my 20s and 30s ...plus when you get to my age you don't give a damn what other folks think anyway!

I agree Rosie...I keep my hair quite short and spike it up, plenty of texture - as I said in a previous post, I get lots of compliments on it...I've never been a beauty but I feel my 40s and 50s were probably my best years, and now, at almost 63, I feel attractive in a different way with my grey hair looking good and my daughter helping me out with make-up tips...I think I have more confidence in my appearance now than in my 20s and 30s ...plus when you get to my age you don't give a damn what other folks think anyway!

Good for you, BusyMum. Your hairstyle sounds fab and I think genuinely not giving a damn about what other people think is the best thing about getting older.

Latest posts

Back