Julia's Freebie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Autumn

Registered Shopper
Firstly Julia is one of the best Presenters Qvc have But .....

During the Lalique at the start of the presentation of the Satine Eau de Parfum Julia mentioned she was "gifted" it by the guest, yet during the whole 5/6 minutes of "selling" the item she didn't mention anything about the fragrance, Considering she had been given it for free she could have made a little more effort to tell the viewer how long it lasted on her, when she wore it , other peoples opinions on it, which fragrance it reminded her of , instead she kept sniffing the fragrance stick and talking about how it would be a lovely gift and how nice the bottle looked.

I get that different brands give the freebies out to the presenters so they then rave about it during there shows however what was the point of the guest giving this to Julia to try which she offered zero feedback on it?

During the Lalique at the start of the presentation of the Satine Eau de Parfum Julia mentioned she was "gifted" it by the guest, yet during the whole 5/6 minutes of "selling" the item she didn't mention anything about the fragrance, Considering she had been given it for free she could have made a little more effort to tell the viewer how long it lasted on her, when she wore it , other peoples opinions on it, which fragrance it reminded her of , instead she kept sniffing the fragrance stick and talking about how it would be a lovely gift and how nice the bottle looked.

I get that different brands give the freebies out to the presenters so they then rave about it during there shows however what was the point of the guest giving this to Julia to try which she offered zero feedback on it?

Sorry but I find Julia Roberts full of her self. Can`t watch anything she is presenting.

She probably hasn't used it and / or doesn't like it but felt somehow obliged to make a public declaration of her gift that she was "gifted," or better still, GIVEN! She is a "gifted" enough presenter to be able to try things out in a timely fashion so as to impart some personal knowledge of a product, so that fact she did not do so supports my theory.

I wonder what other freebies other QVC presenters are given?

She probably hasn't used it and / or doesn't like it but felt somehow obliged to make a public declaration of her gift that she was "gifted," or better still, GIVEN! She is a "gifted" enough presenter to be able to try things out in a timely fashion so as to impart some personal knowledge of a product, so that fact she did not do so supports my theory.

I wonder what other freebies other QVC presenters are given?

Oh you tell she either hated it or had "gifted" it away lol

Catherine Huntley is another one who 'shows off' by stating that she is so 'lucky' to have been 'gifted' or given a 'sample to try' and how lucky she is in her job blah blah blah, it does annoy me that she mentions that this and then expects us 'punters' to buy it, though I have noted Jill Franks has done it recently also. I think there should be some sort of clause so they don't mention these things, I mean it is one thing to think (and half-know it happens), but another thing to get it confirmed. Though saying that I wonder exactly how much Butler and Wilson Julie Roberts has actually purchased herself. Her 'oh I like this piece' will probably usually mean, 'oh there you are have it with my complements' I am surprised he is not bankrupt!

Catherine Huntley is another one who 'shows off' by stating that she is so 'lucky' to have been 'gifted' or given a 'sample to try' and how lucky she is in her job blah blah blah, it does annoy me that she mentions that this and then expects us 'punters' to buy it, though I have noted Jill Franks has done it recently also. I think there should be some sort of clause so they don't mention these things, I mean it is one thing to think (and half-know it happens), but another thing to get it confirmed. Though saying that I wonder exactly how much Butler and Wilson Julie Roberts has actually purchased herself. Her 'oh I like this piece' will probably usually mean, 'oh there you are have it with my complements' I am surprised he is not bankrupt!

But how is this different to a BMW dealer giving salesmen cars to drive, Burger King or Wetherspoons giving lunches to their staf etc, etc.

Sales reps give freebies all the time in business - from mugs to holidays or iPads.

It doesn't bother me to be honest - loads of occupations have 'perks'.... lucky them.

I'm getting a free holiday this year! :) Lucky meeeee! Yes meeeee, me, no one else, but meeeeeee! Gasp! Gasp! Flick, flick! Sorry, was just having a bit of a Jill Franks moment. Free holidays are good, though.

But how is this different to a BMW dealer giving salesmen cars to drive, Burger King or Wetherspoons giving lunches to their staf etc, etc.

Sales reps give freebies all the time in business - from mugs to holidays or iPads.

It doesn't bother me to be honest - loads of occupations have 'perks'.... lucky them.

I doubt in Burger King or Wetherspoons the staff say to their customers "oh it's lovely that chicken burger, I was given it as a freebie" or bragging about free holidays or iPads. I can't think of anything that would put me off more, yet QVC presenters ain't bothered that they're seen as bums.

Last edited:
In answer to your question Julius, - Carla Lazlo admitted on the Diane Gilman hour that she had 17 pairs of jeans - only 7 of which she bought herself, as she had been given all the others as samples. Craig has often admitted to having Yankee Candles 'to try', and never stops spouting about his Kelly Hoppen bedding or Fallopianopsis (?) Peony flaars. Julia must have the largest collection of B & W outside the shop for the freebies she has admitted to over the years (YES, that's evidence for anyone who asks).

In answer to your question Julius, - Carla Lazlo admitted on the Diane Gilman hour that she had 17 pairs of jeans - only 7 of which she bought herself, as she had been given all the others as samples. Craig has often admitted to having Yankee Candles 'to try', and never stops spouting about his Kelly Hoppen bedding or Fallopianopsis (?) Peony flaars. Julia must have the largest collection of B & W outside the shop for the freebies she has admitted to over the years (YES, that's evidence for anyone who asks).

Wow! It seems like they do very well - and I bet that's only the tip of the iceberg. I'm going to enjoy MY FREE HOLIDAY that I personally am getting this year! Yes, my free holiday will most definitely be enjoyed. I like having a free holiday, even if I will have to work quite hard once I'm there, it will be great.

I think it is one thing to give samples to try so they are able to say about texture, staying power, smell etc and the USE of a Dyson to say how it sucked up dog hairs but gifts for the sake of gifts, no.

Why do you have to have a bangle GIVEN to you to be able to sell it, having it on for the shows in preceding days should be enough to know about comfort etc.

Carla on the other hand is a brand ambassador so needs samples to be able to talk in depth about her product. IMO these are two different things.

I think it is one thing to give samples to try so they are able to say about texture, staying power, smell etc and the USE of a Dyson to say how it sucked up dog hairs but gifts for the sake of gifts, no.

Why do you have to have a bangle GIVEN to you to be able to sell it, having it on for the shows in preceding days should be enough to know about comfort etc.

Carla on the other hand is a brand ambassador so needs samples to be able to talk in depth about her product. IMO these are two different things.

Yes, I see your point. I think you are right. But I think giving a gift to someone is a bit like giving a tip to a waiter in a restaurant, it's non-contractual and not obligatory. It's merely a gratuity given because someone wants to give it. I don't think it's particularly wrong for companies to give gifts. It's a fairly standard thing in telly. Any TV bashes that I've been to (admittedly I've only ever been to 3) I've noticed that people are often given "goody bags" of trinkets, luxury products, perfumes, beauty products etc. The value of a goody bag can run from £100 to several thousand. Often journalists who do the Oscars junket interviews are given a goody bag by the PR / publicist. If the interview goes well, the goody bag is placed on the table after the celeb gets up to leave. Nothing is ever said, just a discreet look in the eyes for a fleeting second, and then they walk away. Someone like Barry Norman must have got hundreds of those things!

Someone like Barry Norman must have got hundreds of those things!

I used to live close to Barry, and he was of the old school generation of real reporting - light years before the advent of PR goody bags in recent years. Although he did dine out at some rather 'nice' places.

I don't object to presenters getting items to try as being familiar with a product will help when selling it. However Jill Franks telling us she was given a Yankee candle TSV but gave it to someone as a present is taking the proverbial.

Yes, she did 'do' Big Girls Blouse

No, that was Hilda Ogden in Corrie. You're clearly a youngster Julius !

Latest posts

Back