Julia Roberts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

brissles, what a wonderful woman your Gran sounds, they sure don't make them like that any more. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy reading the Queen Bee of Q's story, as I'd get bored reading about anyone who is so far up themselves.

I know we all have our opinions, but mine is that her life is hardly of the workhouse variety. Had 'jobs' in the entertainment industry all her life, dancing and posing, and now describing items on screen. Owned a palatial Spanish villa with infinity pool, clearly mixes with other 'hard working' souls i.e. Simon Wilson, her partner bangs drums for a living, and writes novels when she has the time. I appreciate she's had health issues, but so have thousands of others - me included, diagnosed with Lupus 20 years ago but carried on working regardless.

My 'inspiration' is my grandmother, long since past. Born in 1899 the eldest of 13 children she helped to raise - yet didn't know about the facts of life until she was 24 and her future husband, my grandfather, told her ! She lived in a mining community and filled the tin bath with hot water in front of the fire for her husband home from the mine. She cooked on 1 gas ring and an open range fire. She had an industrial injury when working in the steel mills, - her right hand and arm got caught between two gigantic rollers which literally flattened it - no H & S in those days, yet she was a superb cook and baker. A wonderful woman who wore a spotlessly clean wraparound 'pinny' every day. All this a world away from today, but HER autobiography would have been well worth the read.

I don't know if Julia has got worse or if it is my tolerance levels have dropped but she seems to have taken on a different persona of late. Personally I think it all started to go down the Swannie when she became addicted to twatter.

She is still the very best at giving sizes and useful information but dear god she should be considering she has been doing it since Adam was a lad.

Its the flirting and the girlish coquetry, and all that hair flicking and head shaking.
It gets old in women on their 20s. Seeing it on someone pushing sixty is mutton prancing as lamb.

Such a pity, because she knows how to do it very well - sizes, comparisons, colours, fit, fabrics... She is just choosing to act like a caricature of herself, at the moment.

brissles, what a wonderful woman your Gran sounds, they sure don't make them like that any more. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy reading the Queen Bee of Q's story, as I'd get bored reading about anyone who is so far up themselves.

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes she was exceptional, BUT she lived in an era where her neighbours were of a similar ilk. Everyone lived from hand to mouth, but their homes were spotless as was the 'front step'. Gran would be called upon to 'lay' people out when they died, she would help with home births, and then bake a cake in the afternoon ! The toilet was outside next to the coal shed, the bath was in one of the bedrooms, and I certainly remember the gas lights on the wall that gave out a green glow and hissed when they were lit. I have my memories of sitting on her knee with her ample bosom in her rocking chair, with the open fire crackling and the smell of home baked bread in the range oven. She was the generation of the Downton Abbey era, would give anyone her last ha'penny, and she often did. So when I hear of c'lebs being 'role models' and 'an inspiration in what they've achieved', to my mind they haven't a clue.

brissles, you have been blessed to have such wonderful memories. Wonderful people like your Gran are remembered because of all these qualities. They don't need to go through life pointing out how incredible they are. It's just evident for all to see.

I loved your post.

I just turn off when Julia's on just now. She is so uppity just now. Fed up with listening to her rant on about her book. Do you know it has 5 star reviews. Aye Julia you never stop telling us on air or Twitter. Number 2 is due out this week so be prepared

Like Evie said people like our grandparents were more of an inspiration to them and really had a torrid time . There lives were a bitch not a beach!!

I just turn off when Julia's on just now. She is so uppity just now. Fed up with listening to her rant on about her book. Do you know it has 5 star reviews. Aye Julia you never stop telling us on air or Twitter. Number 2 is due out this week so be prepared

Like Evie said people like our grandparents were more of an inspiration to them and really had a torrid time . There lives were a bitch not a beach!!

Well I am a baby boomer born at the end of 1948 and life in the 1950's wasn't exactly a picnic either. New clothes and shoes at Whitsuntide only, just one present from mum and dad and a stocking filled with tangerines,bits for my dolls house and chocolate money at Christmas. No central heating but everyone was the same. Life was better than in my grans day though.

I thought it was just me getting very tetchy, but I have had to mute Julia quite a lot just lately. She has always been a bit of a diva, but imo the older she gets the worse she is getting. I don't wish her any harm... but I really don't want a commentary on her family.

Agree with all of the above, never been a big Julia fan but she does her job very well!! Probably the only presenter that can handle Simon of Butler & Wilson and I do like these shows!! You can see she's very full of herself and try not too take her too seriously really!!?? :mysmilie_3:

Latest posts

Back