Julia Roberts looks really nice tonight

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i love the empire line. For those of us who carry their weight on the bottom half they're a godsend. They can make you look as though you've gone down a dress size. I really think it depends on what sort of figure you've got.
I wish i was top heavy and all my friends who are complain about it. I supposed it's all about making the most of what you've got.

I can't get away with the empire line either. They tell us that it is slimming but if you are busty you lose the shape of your waist and look shapeless. At least I do.

Yes, this is what I find. If you are quite busty without a defined waist then the empire line is pretty disastrous. If you have a neat bustline and narrow rib cage then you will look smaller.

I thought Julia looked nice in the leopard print dress. It was the short of shape and length that I would wear (and I'd wear it with boots too, cos I have terrible legs!)

I have big boobs, big hips and thighs - and a bit of a tummy (plus the terrible legs! And big upper arms...and a short neck.) so I have some of the same dressing challenges that Julia has, plus a few of my own - so I sympathise.

My boobs make so many tops look tacky and tarty. I can't ever wear something that buttons up the front cos there will be unattractive straining and gaping...

Anyway. I didn't mean to go on all "me me me". I just wanted to say that I sympathise with JR on the dressing front. I'd never really seen any Tiana B before and I thought many of the dresses would work for my figure. I thought one was hideous though - the black and brown thing that Julia said she had considered wearing.

Ooh blimey I've just remembered. I'll tell you what did annoy me!

Almost every time Joy came out Julia said some variation of "Ooo Look at Joy she's a huge enormous size 16 heifer and astonishingly this dress looks pretty good on her - Stands back in amazement"

Now I've seen Joy IRL. She has a killer figure - plus she's tall so she can carry off the curves way better than a shorter person, and I think it's rude to say that kind of thing about her.

Plus what if you're bigger than Joy? (My bum and thighs definitely are bigger than hers.) If it's some kind of miracle that a size 16 looks nice in this dress then what hope is there for the larger sizes?

Ok, I feel better now. :D This rant is in no way related to not being able to shimmy into a size 16 high waisted pencil skirt in New Look this morning when I consider myself a size 14! ;) :D

Last edited:
Don't get too downhearted Love A'Kin, it's a well known fact that a majority of clothes on the High Street are made to EU sizes.........remember they are metric sizes, if you were able to buy good old fashioned English sizes you would most definately have no problem. ****** EU and their systems!!!!!! xxxxxx

Hey L'Akin don't put yourself down:flower: New look's sizes are definitely on the skimpy side.
I think joy should be the model they use for all the clothes, she's certainly a more realistic shape than the other skinny minnies.

Joy is a size 18 and always looks great. Don't worry about New Look - their sizes are all over the place!

Thanks my lovelies! :sun: :flower: :heart: :flower: :sun: I keep telling myself that hubby loves my bum and that's all that matters!

Thanks my lovelies! :sun: :flower: :heart: :flower: :sun: I keep telling myself that hubby loves my bum and that's all that matters!

You're absolutely right. The magazines would have us believe we all need to be a size 0, but the truth of the matter is men like curves. Thank goodness for that.:grin::grin:

Too true, but what I do is ask my husband if a certain outfit looks ok..........I make sure that he has his glasses of when I ask him!!!!! I always look ok then. xxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, I feel better now. :D This rant is in no way related to not being able to shimmy into a size 16 high waisted pencil skirt in New Look this morning when I consider myself a size 14! ;) :D

I really wouldn't worry - size means very little these days when it comes to clothing I think. I used to be a 12 many years ago and I've been as far up as an 18 (even a 20 in Next clothing!) but I no longer care because....... I now buy a 14, sometimes a 16 if it's something quite fitted however my size 12s that I packed away so long ago - still fit!! That just shows you how it's the sizing at fault, not us. Over the years, garments have become less and less accommodating so take heart in the fact that you wearing a New Look 16 is probably the equivalent of a decent sized 12 if the garment were cut properly in the first place!!

You're absolutely right. The magazines would have us believe we all need to be a size 0, but the truth of the matter is men like curves. Thank goodness for that.:grin::grin:

They do my lovely, and I'm so used to dressing my particular areas of "flubber" as my daughter calls it that - usually - I wouldn't change a thing. My daughter has a flattish bottom and she says she'd rather have mine! (She says i can keep my thighs though) Bless!

:giggle:

I really wouldn't worry - size means very little these days when it comes to clothing I think. I used to be a 12 many years ago and I've been as far up as an 18 (even a 20 in Next clothing!) but I no longer care because....... I now buy a 14, sometimes a 16 if it's something quite fitted however my size 12s that I packed away so long ago - still fit!! That just shows you how it's the sizing at fault, not us. Over the years, garments have become less and less accommodating so take heart in the fact that you wearing a New Look 16 is probably the equivalent of a decent sized 12 if the garment were cut properly in the first place!!

I have sizes from Wallis 12s to a Next 18 as well I think! In some shops cuts I have to put up with a gaping waist if I want things to fit my hips and thighs.

I do Ok with M&S sizing on the whole - but my mum loves to tell the story of how she went into the changing rooms with three 14s in the same skirt and came out with the one that fitted the best cos they varied wildly!

Too true, but what I do is ask my husband if a certain outfit looks ok..........I make sure that he has his glasses of when I ask him!!!!! I always look ok then. xxxxxxxxxxx

That's the way Maz!

I have sometimes been known to complain when my hubby doesn't notice that I've spent extra time putting my face on, or just had my hair done, or lost 5 pounds etc...

But the flipside of that is that he also doesn't seem to notice when I haven't bothered to put a face on, my roots need doing, or I've turned into a time of the month barrel on legs.

Bless him. I probably don't appreciate him nearly enough!:heart:

I have sizes from Wallis 12s to a Next 18 as well I think! In some shops cuts I have to put up with a gaping waist if I want things to fit my hips and thighs.

I do Ok with M&S sizing on the whole - but my mum loves to tell the story of how she went into the changing rooms with three 14s in the same skirt and came out with the one that fitted the best cos they varied wildly!

I'm with your mum - I have done exactly the same thing with clothes. As I have with some bras as well! You pick up 3 or 4, exactly the same size and you can more or less guarantee that one will be a better fit over others. I do think LE Lover is right to a degree - sizes are skimpier in many cases and it depends on the shop as you say. I wear a Wallis 14, a Next 14 or 16, and a Per Una 18????? They should sort themselves out!

I'm with your mum - I have done exactly the same thing with clothes. As I have with some bras as well! You pick up 3 or 4, exactly the same size and you can more or less guarantee that one will be a better fit over others. I do think LE Lover is right to a degree - sizes are skimpier in many cases and it depends on the shop as you say. I wear a Wallis 14, a Next 14 or 16, and a Per Una 18????? They should sort themselves out!

I think Next resized a few years ago and suit me better now, but I was unable to buy anything from there for years before that. M&S are like QVC - they have too many different suppliers so quality and sizing vary between garments - but any reputable supplier ought to be able to more or less standardize sizing within the same garment surely?! But No - as my mum's and your experience shows.

Maybe I should have taken a bundle of size 16s into the (grotty!) New Look changing room? Perhaps one of them would have fit?! :D

I'm a size 16 on top, 14 in trousers and a 12 in skirts. I cannot be bothered buying clothes anymore because its too much of a chore which is why I spend all my money on QVC beauty things instead!

I'm a size 16 on top, 14 in trousers and a 12 in skirts. I cannot be bothered buying clothes anymore because its too much of a chore which is why I spend all my money on QVC beauty things instead!

That's been my usual modus operandi too! :D No lippie or blusher has ever been known to make me feel fat or a funny shape! :D

I didn't buy many clothes for ages because I had things to wear - I just need to lose a stone to do so! I also had loads of tattifilarious stuff that I thought still had plenty of "round the house" wear in it.

However, I had a big sort out recently and dumped all the tatty stuff. (Well I kept a few bits for decorating and big cleaning jobs!) and charity shopped everything that was too small. My body is clearly comfy where it is right now so I just need to get on the same page and accept it!

Do you know what i think you'd look really nice in that I just don't have the figure for?

One of those high waisted pencil skirt style dresses that look like a capsleeve top and skirt. OR Recreate the look with separates to get the sizing perfect.

Of course I could just be obsessed with high waisted pencil skirts at the moment...! :blush: :D

I found kind of what I mean on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HIGH-WAIS...081969348QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWomen_s_Clothing?

Latest posts

Back