Jilly Halliday

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mam

Registered Shopper
Am I alone in finding Jilly Halliday increasingly irritating as a presenter?

Her command of the English language is abysmal. Listening to her with Harald yesterday giving measurements of "thirdy eight and fordy two and asking viewers to send in their "texis" made me switch over even though I love listening to Harald. She shows a distinct lack of enthusiasm for everything she presents and her stock phrase of "proving to be a popular choice" has me reaching for my stress toy!! I know Jill Franks gets a lot of criticism for her use of English, but imho, Jilly Halliday is much worse.

Hope I don't get hammered for expressing my opinion. :whew:

She's very popular on here, Mam, but I agree with you about her limited use of English, and the fact that she persists with this "thirdy" "fordy" "fifdy" "sixdy" malarkey. It's really not such a difficult thing to correct, is it? I don't watch these days but back when I did, I remember a Philosophy show she did on her own in which she said about every single item, "and this is absolutely superb, and you know, this will stand you in good stead because it's absolutely superb." Every ruddy thing was "absolutely superb"; not the greatest selling technique in the world and hardly likely to convince customers interested in a product to part with their money. She was also one of the presenters, and I have to say, most of them were guilty at that time, of saying, "and you're absolutely loving this"; ahhhhh! but then she would put her own spin on that by adding, "...and I don't blame you because it's absolutely superb and will stand you in good stead, and at just fordy pounds it's absolutely superb..."

"This is definitely, definitely worth going for".

The number of times she says this is ridiculous. It doesn't really mean anything and it annoys me. She has very limited vocabulary and seems to be on auto-pilot throughout each show, just skimming through. She doesn't seem to like any of the products in particular.

Despite this, she does come across as a very decent kind of person, not full of herself, doesn't try to poke fun at the models, doesn't go on and on about herself. I am sure she is a modest and kind lady - so that is why she is well-liked and not often criticised here. However, the fact remains she isn't really a very good seller.

And she needs a ****** good haircut!

Couldn't agree more Ricky. Her hair is way too fine to have it so long. It needs layers, texture, some colour, just something other than it hanging there flat to her head. I've never seen her on with Michael de'Cesare. He could do something with his liquifix I'm sure :giggle:

I don't really tend to listen to a lot of the presenters now, when I watch I often mute it and if I'm interested in the item, do the research online but what I will say is, why doesn't she get her hair cut?!?!? It could look so lovely, it needs layers to give it body, at least a good 6" cut off, even maybe a long sweeping fringe, would probably take years off too.

I don't really tend to listen to a lot of the presenters now, when I watch I often mute it and if I'm interested in the item, do the research online but what I will say is, why doesn't she get her hair cut?!?!? It could look so lovely, it needs layers to give it body, at least a good 6" cut off, even maybe a long sweeping fringe, would probably take years off too.

I tend to mute or switch off Claire (I love my mummy) Sutton, Debbie (I'm so very funny) Greenwood and Jill (I'm high maintenance) Franks. I rarely watch Anne D and I never watch the dreadful Craig. I quite like Jilly, but agree that she could do with a bit of a makeover.

To my mind she's quite inoffensive, just gets on with presenting but with no real passion or enthusiasm. With a decent haircut I think she could be stunning as she has a lovely face.
Oh..one thing that really gets on my wick about her though is the way she says "bubbye" to T-callers!

I think she is just bored with the whole thing now. Every time I see her she seems so unenthusiastic about whatever she is presenting. And she could do with a new haircut.

Jilly can look beautiful (long hair or not) as long as she stays behind something. She ventured from her post with mad Harald yesterday and not only did she look uncomfortable but she also looked odd with her ballet pumps sticking out from under her trousers like flippers. We all bang on about Julia but Jilly always wears ballet pumps and black trousers.
She is inoffensive (which is almost offensive in itself!) and seems nice but her presentation is always the same. Same comments, same words, same habits. She needs to poach a bit of character from the presenters who have too much.

I actually don't mind her, but agree about the hair thing. She's never been the same since she stopped appearing in Little Britain..........

little_britain_narrowweb__300x4310.jpg

I don't watch JH very much but having seen her on yesterday's show with Harald, she was pleasant but so flat and lacking in personality and va va voom....and she could do with a hair re-style. It even seemed to drag him down, he was much less flambouyant and exuberant compared to the earlier show with AD (who was a bit too yappy ...imho). Didn't see the evening show with JR so don't know how that went by comparison.

There are many presenters that get on my wick, and I either avoid watching when they're presenting or have on mute. Why QVC have so many long term presenters, I don't know. They're free lance aren't they? I just feel they have their feet well under the table and they need a bit of a shock to bring them back to life...some young blood, maybe? Get with the program and up your game for gawd's sake. I often watch QVC USA and they seem much more enthusiastic and professional. There's not a single presenter who irritates me...just as well I can't order! 'Well worth going for, snap it up' are the phrases that seem to be on a loop and grate on me most from JH and totally agree that she's bored.

I just find her boring.
Find I mentally switch off & don't register what she's saying, bit like a boring teacher would be on a Friday afternoon.
Don't dislike her as such, she's too bland to dislike. But I do get a bit annoyed, when she's presenting jewellery shows without a model, that she's never got her ears pierced so you've no idea how the earrings would look when worn.

She just seems like someone has wound her up with a key at the start of the programme and she just delivers what she needs to, almost like she doesn't even think about what she's saying, it's all automatic.

QVC presenters should take a leaf out of Loen IW's book IMO, love her. She always makes me giggle!

yeah I agree she seems to have lost (did she ever have any to begin with?) the passion for the job, she seems very much uninterested in what she is presenting.

Also she badly needs a haircut, I fear that as she gets older her hair on top will get thinner and scrimpier all the time. I wouldnt want to end up balding just because I wanted to keep my hair long. Regular trims keep the hair looking healthy, less pressure on the roots as well and a bit shorter doesnt mean scalped just maybe to below her shoulders would look so so much better on her!

Aw I like Jilly - one of my faves :clapping:

I find her really easy listening and "on with the job".I rarely hear her talk of her "outside" life.

I admit she has a few well used phrases,but IMO,so do the other presenters.

And I tend to say bubbye too:blush:

I think that most presenters could do with a bit or re-training as some of the phrases they all use are getting so dated that they are becoming annoying.

Most people who work go to training sessions and refresher courses why should QVC be any different?

Latest posts

Back