Jackie Kabler

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She'd probably just ask the restaurant if she could borrow a lettuce leaf to look at (mind you, the type of restaurant she would probably frequent would STILL ask a million squid to do that). I know I keep on saying it, but when you look at her old publicity photos, she was very pretty and healthy-looking some years ago. We all age - that's normal, - but starving yourself isn't.

I imagine being from a PR agency background Larry is usd to eating out an awful lot which usually means they yearn for home cooked or never eat at home. I imagine Jill would be the type who would go to very expensive restaurants and have a lettuce leaf and water which will show on the bill at a 100 squid a portion.

I hope Jill's other half can cook - apart from getting a takeaway or eating out, his only chance of getting a meal would be to do it himself, I'd think. I find I enjoy cooking much more when it's winter and am more inclined to try out different recipes (although I confess that most of the time I stick to the old favourites). And definitely the occasional takeaway or meal out, winter and summer!

Oh yes H I agree, tried and tested is the best. I'm the same no matter what the season you can't beat just relaxing at the end of the day with a nice takeaway. :mysmilie_5:

A sign of the times I have to agree đź’Ż%!
The difference between a homemade Shepherd's pie and a ready meal one is unquestionable. I make my own stews,chicken dishes & mashed potato when I can as I work shifts. I do buy ready meals for convenience but to rely solely on takeaways etc is frightening. People just don't want to use a potato peeler and pan & cook the meat from scratch...as instilled in me. Recently I had the horrendous novo virus, first thing I ate after 3 days was a piece of toast & I couldn't believe the salt in it was overwhelming. Salt & sugar will be the next war to fight against!

Ugh sugar ...the enemy to my teeth ...my own worse enemy is me too ....love cadburys ....I won't touch polos anymmre though ...my new dentist has told me they are one of the worst sweets for teeth ....and this is true for my cousin as they lost all their teeth as young age eating loads ....( extreme amount but I am taking heed ) ...I just don't think it is possible to go cold turkey for the rest of ones life with sugar ...unrealistic ....people just rebel when they've been off it a while ....I am doing everything new dentist is advising and ..he's even going to show me how to use my electric toothbrush properly ...I am 53 ...and still want to know before I have full dentures .....I have always attended the dentist....always cleaned teeth regularly but I think I should have been referred to a hygienist with the NHS ..so I've had to go private to get some treatment that I feel NHS have left out ...so sugar is a problem for sure these days .....I can't go cold turkey so will have to compromise ...and take all the advice I can .....

Casserole tonight ....we eat mainly non processed dinners and I think that keeps the weight down at least ...I can't stand ready meals ...but of course they are handy :wink:

Just caught up with this thread and found it fascinating. Being able to cook is very important in my family and is a big part of keeping house. My mum would often cook for 30 to 40 people from scratch and serve many dishes. It was an expectation that before marriage a girl should be able to cook a range of dishes (sexist, I know but practical!). Somehow being the youngest sister I got away with the cooking lessons and cooking duty, as the elder two were always called into the kitchen to help out, while I had my nose in a book. It was only when I got married and my SIL casually asked me how I make pilau rice that I realised my mistake - I should have had a pre marriage crash course! At the time, I found myself making up the recipe (how hard could it be?!) and then registering her shock.

Over the years I did learn to cook but not before serving my poor hubby some awful and tasteless meals. It didn't help that whenever he cooked the food tasted delicious and he has a real flair when it comes to serving it. But due to him working double the hours I worked, it didn't seem fair to expect him to come home and cook too. I would always panic when guests dropped in near meal-times, and even now, I find it hard to believe when someone compliments a dish I have cooked up.

I find Youtube invaluable when trying out a new recipe - really helps to see what they are doing and how it should look.
I try not to cook on work days, instead I bulk cook on my days off and often freeze portions. But food is always cooked from scratch because then you know everything that goes in, and avoid all the fillers they put in to bulk out recipes. We do have the occasional takeaway or meal out but TBH it is a treat and I don't know how people afford to do it regularly.

Now I am teaching the kids to cook (boys and girls) by having one of them cook lunch on Sunday with me on a rota. Yesterday my 17 year old son made tandoori chicken with roast veg and cous cous. It was delicious.

This is astounding! Most of my family started cooking from a young age and remember cooking around 14yrs!

Simple meals mainly but at least we could cook and I loved doing Food and Nutrition at school! Taught me well and still enjoy cooking! :mysmilie_852::mysmilie_852::mysmilie_852:

Latest posts

Back