It's Not All About You

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand bitching about problems you may have had with orders or returns, I totally get that.
What I don't get is people whinging about the hard sell that the presenters do - its their ****** job! They're glorified sales people, but instead of standing in your local shopping centre or ringing you, they're on the telly. And you have the choice of walking away (or changing the channel as it were).
The impression I get from this forum is that most of you hate QVC, think the presenters are absolute halfwits and the products are crap. Maybe I'm wrong!

I don't hate QVC :wink:

What a lot of people complain about is where presenters either give a lot of "Me, me, me" or constant declarations of jumping to the phones instead of actually describing and demonstrating the current item.

People want to be able to make an informed decision on what to spend their cash on - especially important where QVC can cancel your account where they arbitrarily feel you're returning too much.

And if people want to whinge, well why not? Is anyone forcing YOU to read it? Most complaints are done with humour and restraint.

Last edited:
Well Catherine has certainly raised a stink..in every sense of the word. I'm not into toilet humour myself but guess a lot of people find it funny. However I still like her as a presenter and after all they are all about the sell whether hidden behind a sweet smile or not and we would be daft to assume otherwise.

I can understand bitching about problems you may have had with orders or returns, I totally get that.
What I don't get is people whinging about the hard sell that the presenters do - its their ****** job! They're glorified sales people, but instead of standing in your local shopping centre or ringing you, they're on the telly. And you have the choice of walking away (or changing the channel as it were).
The impression I get from this forum is that most of you hate QVC, think the presenters are absolute halfwits and the products are crap. Maybe I'm wrong!

Welcome Weeble. I don't hate QVC I hate shoddy service, waiting 3 weeks for orders to arrive etc. I have many products I love that I have commented on and many I think are absolute rubbish that I also comment on.

As for the presenters for everyone who likes one there are others that dislike them. Granted their job is to sell but I don't want to hear about their horses, cats, dress size or children when I want info about a product I want to buy. Too many times products arrive and they have to be sent back because the presentation has left out a vital detail about ingredients because they've been waffling about something totally irrelevant. It's an obvious ploy to make us feel that they're our friends and that somehow they're letting us into their lives so therefore we're more likely to buy.That is hard sell cleverly or not so cleverly disguised and I don't like it. I don't expect the assistant in JL to tell me about her family and pets while i'm trying to make an informed choice about a product.
This forum is a great place for letting off steam and having a laugh in equal measure. I would direct you to anything written by Cavegirl or Iclaudipuss to see just how lighthearted it can be.

Welcome Weeble. I don't hate QVC I hate shoddy service, waiting 3 weeks for orders to arrive etc. I have many products I love that I have commented on and many I think are absolute rubbish that I also comment on.

As for the presenters for everyone who likes one there are others that dislike them. Granted their job is to sell but I don't want to hear about their horses, cats, dress size or children when I want info about a product I want to buy. Too many times products arrive and they have to be sent back because the presentation has left out a vital detail about ingredients because they've been waffling about something totally irrelevant. It's an obvious ploy to make us feel that they're our friends and that somehow they're letting us into their lives so therefore we're more likely to buy.That is hard sell cleverly or not so cleverly disguised and I don't like it. I don't expect the assistant in JL to tell me about her family and pets while i'm trying to make an informed choice about a product.
This forum is a great place for letting off steam and having a laugh in equal measure. I would direct you to anything written by Cavegirl or Iclaudipuss to see just how lighthearted it can be.

Ta: what am I - chopped liver? :wink:

Apologies, How could I forget you Klarionthewitchboy.:mysmilie_12:

Apologies, How could I forget you Klarionthewitchboy.:mysmilie_12:

Thank you, LE. I do like my bile and bitchiness to be appreciated. :bow:

To be fair - cavey and pussy are far more creative in their mockery :devil:

Thank you, LE. I do like my bile and bitchiness to be appreciated. :bow:

To be fair - cavey and pussy are far more creative in their mockery :devil:

I hope you're not going to post on twitter that I've mortally wounded you. You're definitely up there with the cavey and pussy.
I now have to apologise to anyone else I've missed out. Actually you're all hilarious that's why I love this forum.

I hope you're not going to post on twitter that I've mortally wounded you. You're definitely up there with the cavey and pussy.
I now have to apologise to anyone else I've missed out. Actually you're all hilarious that's why I love this forum.

No, but I am going to run off to the top of Ben Nevis to become a hermit.

It's all your fault, and if only you knew! :nod:

I like this forum - is a nice breath of fresh air. And the way people rally round one another is heartening :sun:

What a ridiculous statement. YOU are the one watching it. If you are so bothered about the government cuts and you do do indeed already have a house full of all the crap you will ever need TURN QVC OFF! No one is making you watch, just like no one is forcing you to buy the things. Jeez. What are you after? A channel selling Betterware?

I've read these forums on and off for a while and the majority of you seem to slate QVC for just about everything. Do you realise there are other channels you can watch?
I'm not interested in watching craft hours or anything gadgety - and you know what? I DON'T! I certainly dont spend the hour sat on my sofa watching it and then come on here and rip the whole show apart.

Well welcome Weeble. Nice to have you along. Start with a bang :grin: Heres my two penneth for what its worth. We all get along really well on here. A few odd grumbles here & there but on the whole not a bad lot. This is a forum where we all come to air our views. maybe at times those views may be controversial but thats what a forum is for. Yes we whinge & moan a lot at times but isn't that better than shouting at your kids/ husband etc ?

I certainly don't hate QVC. It has in the past been of great help to me when I was very unwell around Christmas time many years back & could not face the hassle of the high street.I don't watch the shows I haven't the slightest interest in either. However this forum has opened my eyes to some of the hypocrisy attached to all shopping channels. QVC is certainly not alone in that.

People who work in the public eye have to put up with good times & bad times. It goes with the territory I'm afraid & sometimes they are just asking for it.There are few celebrities out there who don't get their fair share of flack from time to time.

So welcome along & join in. :handshake:

When I first joined this forum, I thought I was the only one who didn't like Catherine as a presenter - I don't know her personally so I wanted to make that distinction clear! I disliked her right from the very first time I saw her on QVC - it's a feeling I get sometimes, when I think someone is totally fake. I know the other presenters are on there to sell too - that is their job - but she more than any of the others (even JF!) makes me cringe and I just can't listen to her anymore.

Welcome to the forum weeble.
I have to say, the point of any forum is to discuss relevant issues. Where else can we say how we feel? QVC wouldn't be on air if it weren't for the presenters, so of course they will be criticised. I can't see QVC allowing criticism of them on their website and I agree with others who say they want to hear about the product, not all about the lives of the presenters. If you look at other threads on this forum, you will see that we all have differing opinions and not all the comments are critical so yes, I do think you're wrong there. I'm glad I found this forum; there's a lot of support on here.

Going back to Catherine, I was looking at her QVC blog yesterday after this thread started, and a lot of the comments posted on there by QVC viewers were rather sycophantic IMO and she conveniently ignored the ones which weren't. It does seem as if she can only cope with people fawning over her and as Klarion said maybe she should take some time out - no-one can expect to be in the public eye and never be criticised, it's a harsh world out there!

Last edited:
I have to say I really like CH - and although I imagine its intriguing to come here and see whats written - its almost like googling yourself...............don't do it!!! I'm surprised she "tweeted" about it....(I don't get twitter).......as its many said times here - if you put yourself into the public eye -you open yourself up to these things.As much as JR is slated here - shes nothing more than professional about it............I've certainly never heard her make references to this forum or whats written her........................yet CH,DB,LD,CS....all at some point have got their knickers in a twist about it...............

Like I say I like CH - I do think she having a hard time at the mo - no longer with her partner,not updating her blog,she was quite good at........................Im not such a fan that I can't see her faults - I like Craig -but I'm not "upset" if someone here critises him...........sometimes I can why.....................the presenters should see their own faults.........its how we all grow:heart:

What a ridiculous statement. YOU are the one watching it. If you are so bothered about the government cuts and you do do indeed already have a house full of all the crap you will ever need TURN QVC OFF! No one is making you watch, just like no one is forcing you to buy the things. Jeez. What are you after? A channel selling Betterware?

I've read these forums on and off for a while and the majority of you seem to slate QVC for just about everything. Do you realise there are other channels you can watch?
I'm not interested in watching craft hours or anything gadgety - and you know what? I DON'T! I certainly dont spend the hour sat on my sofa watching it and then come on here and rip the whole show apart.

Hello Weeble, Yes, I know there ARE other channels I can watch, but we're not talking about a soap or a drama series here, which I'm sure most of us would not bother to watch if we didn't enjoy it...it's a shop (albeit on telly). It's a shop that many forum members have used, and have been happy with. On occassions we aren't happy with it , and naturally want to talk about it with other likeminded people, compare experiences if you like (good and bad). This sort of talk happens in everyday life too, you might tell a friend or colleague what you've bought, what good, or bad service you got in a shop. I think if that person's response to you was on the lines of "if you don't like it, don't go there, it's your choice" it would be rather unhelpful, and a weeny bit rude. Like any shop or service that we use , it is natural to feel a bit upset if that service seems to be going downhill, especially when it's a niche retailer like a shopping channel.On the high street at least, you do have more places in which to take your custom.

Anyway Weeble, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it, and if you don't I'm sure you'll take your own good advice and find somewhere that suits you better, seriously though it's a great place to be, and there's something for everyone!

Welcome Weeble...but why join a forum that seems to wind you up with its comments? Come back with something light-hearted Luv; most of the input here is funny, informative, friendly, only a tiny part is unwarranted criticism.

Jude xx

It's a new one, isn't it? Join a forum to criticise it :wonder:

I read her blog not long ago and the main contents of it was her blowing off where ever she could and getting a kick out of people noticing. She likes to do it when waiting for a bus, sittng on the metal bench so that it sounds louder. No wonder her man left.

Oh my Gawd! Friggin Gross!

Over the years, I have declared my love for Catherine, forgiven her every idiosyncracy, every annoyance, every silly affectation,defended her obsequiousness...however, even I have my limits. She has basically just ruined herself for me, every time I now see her on air, all I will think about is her randomly farting or doing a poo. Quite frankly, I don't need that visual!:mysmilie_460:

Ever hear of feminine mystique Catherine?, being lady-like?, keeping thoughts to one's self?, that sort of thing?

What's the point of carrying around £300 Lulu Guinness handbags and wearing £100 Butler & Wilson dresses, if underneath it all, you're quite...well I won't write what I'd like to write here...

Have you ever heard the expression "It was like polishing a turd?".

Please sort yourself out will ya.

No, you haven't committed the crime of the century, but you're a grown woman,who "appeared" to have a modicum of class, could we get back to that Catherine please.

A once loyal fan.

.. it seems in response to this forum
quote from her Twitter she types....

"Amazed at just how hurtful some people can be on internet forums...really feeling very saddened by it. Live and let live, I say"

"People often do things that don't amuse me or appeal to my humour but I don't attack them for it...gonna retreat for a while, I think x "

I think this should be a closed thread maybe.

Moynah, Catherine never comments when the threads are full of devotion to her and there have been loads like that here.

Moynah is that picture your little baby? Hes gorgeous:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back