is opi stuff good for brittle nails?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

angiebabe1

Registered Shopper
My nails seem very brittle at the moment and prone to snapping, I checked on qvc and there seems to be mixed reviews, I'd prefer a kit with more treatment than colour any recs please.

:mysmilie_348:I have found Leighton Denny's Hydra-Flex serum & shield the best treatment for my very brittle nails, they are much more flexible now and do not split or break like they used to
Opi's Nail Envy made them even more brittle & Pro-Strong was totally useless for me.

Hi, I've used Nail Envy for some time and did notice a difference re: the splitting and peeling I was having however would add that since using the Leighton Denny crystal file in conjunction with the NE my nails are far stronger. I now have to cut them down rather than them breaking. Just a thought. x

Hi. Nail envy made my nails grow really quick but they still split and flaked. I have been using Elegant Touch Diamond Shield with calcium & protein for a few months and makes the nail much stronger than OPI. However, I still get flakes and splits, so maybe the LD recommendation is worth a go....love the OPI varnish though, so much better quality than Nails Inc, haven't tried LD polishes.

I tried everything they offered over a period of 6 years or so including Nail Envy, Pro Strong and another where you used one if you had dry and brittle nails and another for soft ones. The best thing I found was Trind which not only strengthened my weak nails but repaired a vertical split in my thumb and big toe nails and didn't make my nails so strong that they snapped. I have quite thin, weak nails but the Trind definitely helped.

Hi, I've used Nail Envy for some time and did notice a difference re: the splitting and peeling I was having however would add that since using the Leighton Denny crystal file in conjunction with the NE my nails are far stronger. I now have to cut them down rather than them breaking. Just a thought. x

I have noticed my nails have been a lot better since I have been using glass or crystal nail files.

Hi. Nail envy made my nails grow really quick but they still split and flaked. I have been using Elegant Touch Diamond Shield with calcium & protein for a few months and makes the nail much stronger than OPI. However, I still get flakes and splits, so maybe the LD recommendation is worth a go....love the OPI varnish though, so much better quality than Nails Inc, haven't tried LD polishes.

Now that I have found Nails Inc Kensington top coat any lacquer lasts a lot longer on my nails without chipping. I only own a few Nails Inc colours which I got as freebies - have never bought because the colours always look one dimensional and creamy to me whereas OPI tend to produce a lot more shimmery ones. Have a few LD ones and they are ok (love Supermodel colour) however I always find that the varnish lifts away from the ends of my nails after a couple of days' worth of wear.

Have tried all the QVC brands, they make my nails more brittle if anything.

I just massage some sweet almond oil into my nails and cuticles once a week and give my nails a few varnish free days a week.

I used to be a Trind maniac and I still am to some extent - it's fabulous stuff but I am so lazy and hate using nail polish remover. IMO it is the very best "varnish type" nail strengthener on the market. I still use it if I have a split from forgetting to use my regular stuff (see below) for a week or two.

However, then I discovered Milagro, which comes in a plastic bottle with a pad on the end, you just rub it into your nails, it's like water. It takes a long time to work - as long as it takes your nails to grow - but it's absolutely wonderful stuff. If you simply want good nails and are not bothered about wearing polish, this is the way to go (although it's also supposed to work thru nail polish). You start off using it twice a day but I only use it every couple of days or so now, I keep it on my bedside table and just rub it on when I think about it, then I rub some moisturiser on top - a cuticle cream comes with it, that's OK, or sometimes I use Trind Nail Balsam or ProStrong moisturiser - always something on top.

I used to get it on eBay but they've stopped listing it cos no-one buys it except me, now it's available on their website, the only place in the UK I think:

http://www.body4real.co.uk/product.php?productid=17911&js=y

Here are my 66-year-old nails, weak and peely all my life until now:

MyNails_Yippee.jpg

clemenzina :mysmilie_1516:

Has anyone tried the Perfect Formula Strengthen & Seal Gel Coat that was recently on QVC?
It has two 5 star reviews and on qvc.com it has 122 reviews, most of those are 5 stars too!

It's on waitlist at the moment.

I used to be a Trind maniac and I still am to some extent - it's fabulous stuff but I am so lazy and hate using nail polish remover. IMO it is the very best "varnish type" nail strengthener on the market. I still use it if I have a split from forgetting to use my regular stuff (see below) for a week or two.

However, then I discovered Milagro, which comes in a plastic bottle with a pad on the end, you just rub it into your nails, it's like water. It takes a long time to work - as long as it takes your nails to grow - but it's absolutely wonderful stuff. If you simply want good nails and are not bothered about wearing polish, this is the way to go (although it's also supposed to work thru nail polish). You start off using it twice a day but I only use it every couple of days or so now, I keep it on my bedside table and just rub it on when I think about it, then I rub some moisturiser on top - a cuticle cream comes with it, that's OK, or sometimes I use Trind Nail Balsam or ProStrong moisturiser - always something on top.

I used to get it on eBay but they've stopped listing it cos no-one buys it except me, now it's available on their website, the only place in the UK I think:

http://www.body4real.co.uk/product.php?productid=17911&js=y

Here are my 66-year-old nails, weak and peely all my life until now:

MyNails_Yippee.jpg

clemenzina :mysmilie_1516:

You are never 66!!!! Seriously? You have shamed my 38 year old hands into hiding. Tell us what else you use to see if we can all look that good :mysmilie_82:

I adore OPI nail envy and am never without a bottle (and usually a back up in stockpile too!). It works better than any other product for me and it's the product I always come back to when my nails need some help. I have a nail that flicks up at the end when it gets long but nail envy straightens it out for me. They grow more quickly and really strong, I can tell the difference after only a couple of weeks.

BUT - I do think it has a drying effect on the nails, no problem for me really as my nails are quite oily so they can stand it (I use it as a base coat - it's the only one I can use that stops my polish peeling off in one big piece) but my mum has dry nails and nail envy really wrecks her nails, they go flaky and dry really quickly. So it sounds like it may not be the product for you this time?

Latest posts

Back