Is bonding really another name for plating - Veronese

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

tristar

Guest Shopper
They make a big thing of how this isnt gold plating, its gold bonding, are they the same? Im unconvinced, but going on the price of gold even at qvc, I might have to gve it a go. No longer can I pick up bits for presents and the gold hours are rare now on qvc, the gold hours with Jan last week, were the first in ages.

i like the finish of both the veronese and the epiphany its very good in my experience. excellent vfm

I believe they are almost the same thing. I won't buy plated stuff if I intend to wear it much as the plating, rolled gold etc wears off. I would rather have silver instead.

As far as I know they are all exactly the same.
Before he retired 10 years ago my Dad used to run a metal finishing company and along with a lot of top secret military work they also used to "bond/plate/enrobe both base metals and silver in both gold and platinum for LOTS of the jewelry makers , suppliers and manufacturing companies.
From what I can remember it is all to do with how thick a layer is placed on top of the original item.
I will give him a call tomorrow and see if I can find out any more about it , if anyone is interested.

Yes they also say on Veronese 'cladding' and 'enrobing' both tell us nothing and are a bit misleading, both open to interruptation

I bought a Veronese chain for my stepmother about three years ago. A bit like a rope chain. I explained that it was silver "bonded" with gold, really so that when the hold wore off she wouldn't feel cheated. She wears it every single day. Never takes it off and if is still perfect. She wears it with a couple of other necklaces so it really gets put through the mill.

I am somewhat surprised and impressed. I'm sure at some point it will wear off but it's showing no signs at the minute.

I dont doubt its longevity just question whether an expert would think 'bonding lovingly/cladding/enrobing/ would be the same as plating. they go to great great pains on Veronese to stress it is not plating! well I think it is the same as plating, they say it isnt, I just wonder.

Don't forget "cladding" and "enrobing"

.......and "flashing" !

GemsTV's term for it..........to suit their new American customer market. :smirk:

All to do with the number of microns of thickness of gold added. But Veronese do use 18k gold, though these days it does seem a very bright yellow colour instead of (if I may use the phrase!) 'a soft buttery' yellow!

.......and "flashing" !

GemsTV's term for it..........to suit their new American customer market. :smirk:

All to do with the number of microns of thickness of gold added. But Veronese do use 18k gold, though these days it does seem a very bright yellow colour instead of (if I may use the phrase!) 'a soft buttery' yellow!

I agree - it looks far too yellow for 18ct gold - my wedding and engagement rings are 18ct and the gold is much paler. The Veronese stuff looks closer to 22ct - like the gold used in Indian jewellery.

i have earrings and necklaces and rings that as you all say looks more like 22ct i wear them as much as i like and they still look as new. i must also add i got all the pieces for under a tenner in last clicks so even better value with two "noble" metals enrobed with each other lol

i had an accident with one piece and i could see the deepness of the plating and its several mm thick so good quality. i have bough other plated stuff and within a day or two the plating wears off so i stick to qvc's bonding range and its very good even if you pay full price which i dont.

the epiphany i prefer to plain silver as this tarnishes over time as well and the platinum cladding makes the pieces really weighty and they dont tarnish. for me a thumbs up.

As far as I know they are all exactly the same.
Before he retired 10 years ago my Dad used to run a metal finishing company and along with a lot of top secret military work they also used to "bond/plate/enrobe both base metals and silver in both gold and platinum for LOTS of the jewelry makers , suppliers and manufacturing companies.
From what I can remember it is all to do with how thick a layer is placed on top of the original item.
I will give him a call tomorrow and see if I can find out any more about it , if anyone is interested.

Ask him to tell us about the top secret military work as well, sounds far more exciting than anything on QVC....

On the Veronese hour yesterday that woman was saying how you shouldn't wear your Veronese Jewellery when you wash your hands a lot, or go near salt water, or sand, or washing up liquid..... Etc etc. no doubt because the plating will wear off the minute you do. I've got a Veronese ring and I don't wear it because like a few oths of yu have said, its a totally different colour to the rest of my rings, both 9 and 18ct gold.

i have earrings and necklaces and rings that as you all say looks more like 22ct i wear them as much as i like and they still look as new. i must also add i got all the pieces for under a tenner in last clicks so even better value with two "noble" metals enrobed with each other lol

i had an accident with one piece and i could see the deepness of the plating and its several mm thick so good quality. i have bough other plated stuff and within a day or two the plating wears off so i stick to qvc's bonding range and its very good even if you pay full price which i dont.

the epiphany i prefer to plain silver as this tarnishes over time as well and the platinum cladding makes the pieces really weighty and they dont tarnish. for me a thumbs up.

I have a white gold necklace that finally has lost its rhodium coating and it looks like tarnished silver. It would probably be quite expensive to get the rhodium redone so I will look for a replacement chain in the Epithany. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who I can send my white gold necklace to get redone or at least to get a quote as I believe there are a lot of postal services?

When I bought the white gold necklace I did not realise that it was the rhodium that gave it its nice colour. That said it was a lovely necklace as it has a sort of diamond cut and it used to glitter on its own.

A good local jeweller who does repairs or makes bespoke should be able to rhodium plate it for you. Not a high street chain of course.

I agree - it looks far too yellow for 18ct gold - my wedding and engagement rings are 18ct and the gold is much paler. The Veronese stuff looks closer to 22ct - like the gold used in Indian jewellery.

I have a lot of Indian jewellery as I like 22ct gold Veronese matches the colour,I'm lucky that my OH is friends with an Asian jeweller.
Lynn:glass:

I love rose gold but find Veronese rose gold very pink whereas the rose gold I have is more of a soft coppery gold. I have both modern and older pieces. Both 9ct and 18ct gold.

I did buy a set of three rose gold Veronese bangles and they have "piped down a bit". They're still very definitely rose gold but not such a bright colour. That suits me to be honest and works better with my real rose gold bracelets. But there isn't really any sign of them going back to silver. They do tarnish though which I find a bit odd. They come up fab if you clean them. Having said that I've got one expensive rose gold ring and that tarnishes too.

I haven't bought much Veronese though because I think a lot of the styles are dated. I don't particularly like diamond cut pieces for instance. But I love Ginetta as a guest.

Going completely off track here but if you're buying gold as an investment the rose gold may not be a good choice. Gold with a high level of copper doesn't have the same scrap value as yellow gold. Some jewellers won't even buy rose gold for scrap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back