Ironing

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I throe away my iron when my husband left me for a blond flusey 10 years ago and can count on one hand the times I have had to borrow one, usually when making curtains to iron the hems.
And to think that I am doing my bit for the planet as well.:1:

did you throw it at him ? Just think...she's lumbered with ironing his smalls now and you're free !!! :elmo:

Iron? What's an iron?

I have not ironed anything for over ten years now....

I don't have the inclination, time or patience for it.

I shake out creases while wet, then hang and fold very carefully.

If something is too creased to wear, it goes back in the wash!

Body heat sees to the little creases whe the garment is worn.

:1:

My MIL irons FIL pants because over 15 years ago she had to go into hospital and her sister came to look after the kids and did some chores for her - including ironing the pants. FIL has never forgotten this and now insists his pants are always ironed! I caught her ironing them one day (which was a shock in itself and no they are not small!) and she looked really embarrassed and told me about it. I told her to stick it and stop doing but she said he can tell when she doesn't do it. I said she should still say tough but sadly he rules her life for her.

On another matter about the ironing I heard Debbie say on the Morning Show that she sent her ironing out and it cost her £45 a week. Perhaps I should start an ironing service around Wimbledon...

I remember as a teenager telling my mum how exactly I wanted my jeans ironed. :11: She worked as a hand presser in a clothing factory, so a professional really.

Now these days I just slap the iron down and move it around. :54:

I don't iron pyjamas, bedclothes, underwear, socks. Oh I do pillow cases though.

I have to admit that there is something nice about ironed pillowcases. Doesn't matter about wrinkly sheets but pillowcases are different!

i am probably going to get hate mail for this, but i try to iron everything. for me it is about the iron killing germs. i wash bedding on low washes - in fact everything is on as low wash as possible and then steam iron everything. please don't be mad at me!

LLL, I love the feel of steam ironed bedding and that was great when I had the steam press but with a family of 5 I haven't the time to do everything. I can see why people would want toreally iron most things, just for the sheer luxury of it. The most ridiculous thing I ever knew regards ironing extremes was a an old friend of mine who ironed her face flannels and dishcloths.

I feel so inadequate.....i don't iron tea towels, towels, bedding, socks, underwear.....

just clothes (and even then I try and just smooth them down after tumble drying to avoid the ironing.....) where did it all go so wrong???!!!???? :confused:

I've never wasted my time ironing things that don't need ironing..towels, underwear and the like. I too tried a press, and didn't get on with it at all. Would have been better if I had a bigger place and could have it ready to go in say, the spare room, but in my small place, I had to store it away, lug it out, and it was heavy and awkward I also found that some things like short sleeved shirts looked better done by a conventional iron as I found that small areas were hard to target, and whilst it took creases out in some places, it put extra ones in, in others. Duvet covers and sheets were a faff too, as it wasn't that easy to feed the it through as the hanging fabric would get caught up in the hinges, as well as trailing the floor. I also managed to burn myself more than once when lifting my hands away from the garment on the board. I've got a steam generator iron now, and though it's heavier than I'd like, it does a good job.

I've never wasted my time ironing things that don't need ironing..towels, underwear and the like. I too tried a press, and didn't get on with it at all. Would have been better if I had a bigger place and could have it ready to go in say, the spare room, but in my small place, I had to store it away, lug it out, and it was heavy and awkward I also found that some things like short sleeved shirts looked better done by a conventional iron as I found that small areas were hard to target, and whilst it took creases out in some places, it put extra ones in, in others. Duvet covers and sheets were a faff too, as it wasn't that easy to feed the it through as the hanging fabric would get caught up in the hinges, as well as trailing the floor. I also managed to burn myself more than once when lifting my hands away from the garment on the board. I've got a steam generator iron now, and though it's heavier than I'd like, it does a good job.

Thanks Merryone....as I suspected the press seems to be more hassle than it's worth

My ex used to iron everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING. His haridan of a mother used to come round to our house and give me filthy looks as I sat on the sofa with a glass of wine while he ironed all his own work shirts. In fact she even once asked why I wasn't doing it. "It's no longer 1950" was my response. Honestly! Stupid woman!

Anyway, for some reason when he moved out, he didn't take the iron and ironing board. That was about 2 years ago - and I have used it once since. Well I was about to wear these trousers which had got completely creased to buggery at the bottom of a drawer. I looked helplessly at the iron and my fiance sighed and did them for me!

So ladies (and gents) throw away your irons! Be free of the tyranny! Embrace your creases! Etc etc etc!

I remember when I used to go round one of my mates houses when I was a teenager, and she had an ironing board up permanently in her bedroom, sometimes when we were just staying in and watching telly, she'd be beavering away at the ironing board, she honestly loved ironing as much as she liked buying clothes. I lost touch with her, like you do, but recently bumped into her, and asked the obligatory "what are you doing now". She's single, childless, very happy and has her own ironing business. I told her I might throw some work her way!!!!

I think that everyone is different. As I said before I couldnt be without one now and it did take a few weeks to get the hang of it - the first few times it took way longer than using an iron. Now I love it and will iron everything except socks - even underwear and yes 'flannels and dishcloths'. I just love to see everything nice and smooth and folded. I think that the finish you get is far better than with an iron. My son always gets highly commended at Army Cadets for the creases in his uniform trousers as I use the press and spray starch - they come out like a knife edge. :1:

I have a Domena press (from Argos) and I love it, and yes, it does cut down ironing. I do iron the bedding and tea towels, but I'm not that anal that I iron undies, unlike my Dad who irons EVERYTHING, and I mean absolutely EVERYTHING! :laugh:

:doggie:

I hate ironing , but get pleasure from seeing a completed pile of ironing , just a pity I'm the one that has to do it lol:31:

I've done the ironing for years - and I am a bloke :1: I also use a steam press, so much quicker, and easier on the arms. No ironing board, the water lasts for ages. I just would not be without it now. Makes ironing a piece of cake. And sorry girls, I am married. It goes back a few years to when my mother accidentally put a crease in one of my best shirts. When I complained, she said if I could do any better, then I knew where the iron was. I did the ironing ever since then. Sorry, I don't iron underwear, towels, or pillow cases :21:!

Latest posts

Back