Import Tax

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

RedorDead

Registered Shopper
:mad:I ordered a Skagen watch from Watchzone on Sunday (fed up waitiing on QVC waitlist) and yay it arrived this morning HOWEVER, I had to pay £23.86 import tax. Never had this charged to me before. Has anyone else had the same thing?

Yes the limit is £18, once a seller accidentally wrote on the package that it was £1 more and I had to pay Post Office handling charge and Excise duty. I had the invoice inside the packet so was able to prove to Customs it was under and claimed back the money.
There is no VAT if the item is valued under £18 or if it is marked as a gift under £36.

Yes the limit is £18, once a seller accidentally wrote on the package that it was £1 more and I had to pay Post Office handling charge and Excise duty. I had the invoice inside the packet so was able to prove to Customs it was under and claimed back the money.
There is no VAT if the item is valued under £18 or if it is marked as a gift under £36.

Strange thing is it didnt happen to me at any other time. I buy Italian charms from Pugster in the USA and I never had to pay import duty...seems strange

I have always tried not to go over the limit so never had to pay anything extra, but my brother did get a football top from somewhere and when I was asked for £45 tax I could not understand. Obviously he had went over the limit but it is a bit disturbing when a delivery man starts asking for money!

I believe that Customs dont always check every package, so obviously some get through with no charges. I order a lot from the US, and its completly random as to if I get charged or not. (over the £18 limit).

I always factor the possibility of the charges though into my buying, so if I do get stung, then I know it was still worth it.

I've been lucky so far! Two Christmasses running I ordered some very expensive silver & turquoise jewellery for Kevin, real chunky man stuff, made by Navajo artists and it got through, phew! I often buy bits n bobs and so far they've got though too.:)

Was this item delivered by courier? All parcels delivered by couriers are recorded so you are more likely to get charged. The Royal Mail does not keep a record of every parcel posted so I suppose that you only get charged if they happen to randomly select your parcel out of the many that they deliver.

I ordered some jewellery from Australia a couple of times and had to pay tax and duties, but their very good website warned you about such.

I agree it's ridiculous with prices going up that they have kept the same limit. Yes completely random whether you get caught or not.

Latest posts

Back