I'm so sick of all this American stuff

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Theyll never sell British stuff in any quantity because most of you lot wouldn't pay for it. As soon as a clothing item appears that's over £40 it starts..... "ooh isn't it expensive! Not at THAT price! Cheaper in TKMaxx! Must think we're millionaires" etc etc

Clearly the majority of QVCs female viewers want to dress cheaply. Which is fine, as long as looking cheap is the effect you're after. I don't suppose it matters though, seeing as you're all "dressing for me" ha.

Cheap in price but not quality or appearance ;)

I have stuff in my wardrobe that I have had for years. All classics, no high fashion or 'last season' designer.

I buy and wear what I like. I dress for me. If you're confident and you look good you will attract attention without dressing especially for it!

Personally I won't touch designer clothes with a bargepole. All that money for a 'name' - what a waste. I have in the past so I am more than qualified to express that opinion. I take pride in dressing the way I do for a fraction of the cost of most of my work colleagues. And they're always admiring my outfits. It's far more fun to creatively put an outfit together with your current clothes and a few reasonable additions than to go out and spend a small fortune on one item just because it has a special label. That's just me, but I would rather use my own imagination to create a look than pay over the odds for it.

Of course, a gorgeous handbag that can't be recreated always finishes the look :cool:

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I agree loveheart. Still some of these posts make me smile with the assumptions that are made about what folk wear, what age they are and indeed what they look like!

I have no problem with anyone saying they don't like certain items, each to their own what I do object to is the insinuation that anyone who buys said items is a sad, frumpy, nutter.

But I AM a sad frumpy nutter loveheart...!! :sad::tongue:

Well I have a wide price range in my wardrobe, if I like it and can afford it I buy it. That being said I feel a greater sense of achievement when someone says they like something I'm wearing when it cost me a tenner (or less!). Usually I say "thank you, it was only £8!". My sister dies of embarrassment each time I say it to one of her friends but I can't help myself.

I do have some Kim and Co trousers and I am a complete convert. My thunder thighs no longer look quite so thunderous!

I've been 'banging' on for ages about this on different threads. i.e always American vendors, always SHOUTING American vendors - Lenny Feinberg and Mally are 2 who need shutting up, so at least I am not alone in my thoughts.

Yes, I realise that most of the fashion is stretchy stretchy - because it will fit all figures, so its cost effective in the buying power.

HOWEVER, as we all know, the Americans have never been high up on the list for fashion, although they did go overboard for the padded shoulder. Neverthless, had anyone heard of BOB MACKIE before he came on qvc ? - apparently a top Hollywood designer. No, me neither, and I'm a bit of a film buff who also takes an interest in the hairdressers and make up artists on set. Having holidayed in the States many times, I have found very little clothing of quality to actually buy, and I'm a serious shopper. So I do think we get the thin edge of the wedge because an American owned company foist their own 'designers' on to us.

And yes I do switch OFF if I have a grievance, but it doesn't stop me from airing it !

I've been 'banging' on for ages about this on different threads. i.e always American vendors, always SHOUTING American vendors - Lenny Feinberg and Mally are 2 who need shutting up, so at least I am not alone in my thoughts.

Yes, I realise that most of the fashion is stretchy stretchy - because it will fit all figures, so its cost effective in the buying power.

HOWEVER, as we all know, the Americans have never been high up on the list for fashion, although they did go overboard for the padded shoulder. Neverthless, had anyone heard of BOB MACKIE before he came on qvc ? - apparently a top Hollywood designer. No, me neither, and I'm a bit of a film buff who also takes an interest in the hairdressers and make up artists on set. Having holidayed in the States many times, I have found very little clothing of quality to actually buy, and I'm a serious shopper. So I do think we get the thin edge of the wedge because an American owned company foist their own 'designers' on to us.

And yes I do switch OFF if I have a grievance, but it doesn't stop me from airing it !

To use a couple of well worn cliches - "different strokes for different folks" and "speak as you find"......

I'm a plus size, have also holidayed in the States many times and found the range of clothes available to me so much better there. I've shopped in chain stores, department stores, Marshalls, Target and boutiques - and I've found incredibly inexpensive silk, linen, and beautiful cotton clothing that I just can't buy here.

I've also bought a couple of Susan Graver tops and they are OK.

Have any of you ladies actually seen anyone else wear anything off the telly?

I have never seen one other person wear a scarflace or carry a Vellutti bag by that Moira C woman.

Seen plenty of Kipling bags about & years ago I used to see quite a few dressed up in Indigo Moon.

Well, I AM a lady of a certain age and I am also somewhat larger than I would like to be.............I also have a wardrobe overflowing with Kim & Co, I love it.

BUT, I adore Joe Browns clothes and Fat Face, have quite a bit from Next too and the odd designer piece (cast off from sister!) and I mix and match the whole lot together quite happily.

(My husband will tell you that I am also a mad old nutter, but that's another story!!)

Ooooh talk of crimplene brings back awful memories of wearing a crimpline, yes crimplene bridesmaid dress when my sister got married in 1969. Mind you it was worse for her because she was wearing a homemade white crimpline wedding dress and she now cringes when she looks at the wedding photographs !

Latest posts

Back