Ignorance may be bliss, Chloe.......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

YEP, I'm another Celtic wearer, and find they 'do it ' for me. Never particularly thought about the 'green' issue, but I suppose the carbon footprint from Cornwall is the size of a gnat compared to arriving by the container load from NZ, Ozzy or China.

I was just researching this site to see if they would be any good for louise66. I have a pair of their basic boots (like a LO stinger) and think they are fine, although the inside is very woolly rather than furry! I find them quite a struggle to get on and off, mind, perhaps because I do not use them very much so have not worn down the lining! They say a lot about Eco stuff but I do not know from the site if they meet Louise's ethical requirements. It says that the animals were used for meat and thus the skins were available and used, rather than having to slaughter specifically for boots. Are they not the original uggs firm?

PS It says predominantly British sheep with some from Europe.

Last edited:
Maybe surfing some sites outside the UK would turn up other alternatives; somewhere colder like Canada for info from Vegetarians and Vegans who've found warm alternatives to leather and fur/sheepskin. My niece is a vegetarian (and Canadian) but has lived in Arizona for about 20 years otherwise I'd ask her. There's a vegetarian society based in Toronto www.veg.ca but I'm sure there are others out there.

DD just reminded me there's a branch of this shop in Brighton - turns out they sell online too: http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

Louise, try www.nznature.co.nz. I purchased boots and slippers over 8 years ago and they are fab quality and still going strong. I rate them better than uggs (which I have) as I think they are tougher and better made. The website has lots of info regarding their ethical standpoint but if you drop them a line, I'm sure they would answer in more detail. I found them to be very helpful.

I would be concerned with whether or not the materials were ethically sourced, and how the animals were treated, if I could come to terms with the animals dying so the boots can be manufactured. Mum told me to go for a pair, to help combat my circulation problems; I just can't get my head around the animals being killed, which is why I would go for manmade but that would be defeating the object; sheepskin boots are intended to provide warmth, manmade materials don't generate the same heat. So, the first hurdle for me, would be to decide to actually purchase and wear sheepskin boots, and THEN find an ethically inspired brand. I know a lot of people do wear them, and that is their choice. I think I'm better off just forgetting about them.

I couldn't wear them. I really love the way they look and I'm sure they're really comfortable and warm, but I would never be able to live with the fact that they were a living creature that has gone through hell and lost its life so that I can have warm feet. It makes me feel sick when I think about it. I have a real problem with the term "ethically sourced" too. I don't accept that it's ethical for any animal to have been bred and slaughtered entirely for the benefit of humans. The only way I'd ever be able to wear sheepskin would be if the sheep died of old age or committed suicide.

Louise, try www.nznature.co.nz. I purchased boots and slippers over 8 years ago and they are fab quality and still going strong. I rate them better than uggs (which I have) as I think they are tougher and better made. The website has lots of info regarding their ethical standpoint but if you drop them a line, I'm sure they would answer in more detail. I found them to be very helpful.

Polly, are these true to size or do you have to go up or down? I'm liking the rubber soles.

Mazza, I read somewhere that Celtic are the original Ugg boots, but can't remember where. It may have been on the Celtic site.

my friend is a vegan and does not wear even leather shoes. I am not vegetarian but always thought that sheepskin was a by product of the meat trade. imo uggs are a premium product expensive but worth every penny. they are the world market leader, the brand is recognised globally. I have never had to throw a pair away. one pair I have had for 6/7 years. in a way if you buy one pair and they last for a long time you are buying less in the long wrong.

if I were a vegan or anti skin I would not wear uggs/emu et all. there are alternatives that will keep you warm.

Polly, are these true to size or do you have to go up or down? I'm liking the rubber soles.

Mazza, I read somewhere that Celtic are the original Ugg boots, but can't remember where. It may have been on the Celtic site.

I am a size 5.5 and I went for a size 5 in the boots and slippers. They have a nice fluffy, thick inner sole and I wear them with walking socks. If I had been a size 5 I would still have ordered a size 5 as I think size 6 would have been a bit too generous fitting. If you are a half size, I would recommend going down rather than up.

I think the ethics of wearing sheepskin boots of any brand are very much up to the individual. Most things are made in China, these concerns must also apply to shoes, handbags etc unless manmade fabrics are used, then there is another discussion to be had about worker exploitation in manufacturing.

On a practical level I struggle with both UGG and EMU as their sizing is inconsistent across styles and even colour in the same range. I wear a size 5 shoe. I recently visited the QVC outlet in Warrington and tried on lots of EMU boots and slippers and could barely get into a 6 in the waterproof boot in the tan, black was too big, the 3 button ones in a 5 were way to big. the leather ones too small in a 5. I was a 4,5, or 6 in the slippers depending on the colour. I think the problem is lack of quality control.
I tried the basic UGGS on in a shop and struggled to get a 6 on and they were tight on the calf.
I have given up on buying a new pair and plan to repair my 3 years old bought from QVC shop size 4 EMU's, hole in toe, they were always slightly too small and waterproof them

Latest posts

Back