"If you don't have the money in your account right now, buy it anyway"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't care for "people", I care for one person - my mother. I'm not, as you will have seen, a natural carer, and this is not something I ever imagined myself having to do, but 12 years ago when she could no longer be alone you couldn't see the rest of her "loving" family for dust. I turned round and there I was, alone, and here I've been ever since - my mother's carer. Not once in those 12 years has a single relative offered to help, and not once has one of them asked if I'm Ok, or if my mother needs anything. I haven't had so much as an hour's help from anyone, nor a penny's contribution towards the cost. As far as I'm concerned, I now have no family. There are a collection of people out there who share my DNA, but they're most certainly not my family and I sincerely hope that I never see any of them again. If every one of them would be obliging and drop dead, I'd be delighted.

Then you will have nothing to reproach yourself for, Scout, knowing you are doing the best for your mum. Any child who can deny his/her mum, and ignore her needs, probably wouldn't feel that he/she ought to be behaving any differently.

I don't care for "people", I care for one person - my mother. I'm not, as you will have seen, a natural carer, and this is not something I ever imagined myself having to do, but 12 years ago when she could no longer be alone you couldn't see the rest of her "loving" family for dust. I turned round and there I was, alone, and here I've been ever since - my mother's carer. Not once in those 12 years has a single relative offered to help, and not once has one of them asked if I'm Ok, or if my mother needs anything. I haven't had so much as an hour's help from anyone, nor a penny's contribution towards the cost. As far as I'm concerned, I now have no family. There are a collection of people out there who share my DNA, but they're most certainly not my family and I sincerely hope that I never see any of them again. If every one of them would be obliging and drop dead, I'd be delighted.

Ah, sorry - I thought you meant you were a paid carer in a home or something like that. As another long-term carer, I completely sympathise.

Reading your post has just made me realise why my auntie is so bitter towards her sisters, she was the last one at home when when my grandmother became ill and bedridden, my grandmother died 20 years ago after years of illness, and although my auntie never complained she must have spent the best years of her life looking after her, without any help apart from the occasional visit. Maybe I understand a little better how she feels now!

Just to clarify some information posted earlier; Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 applies to all businesses and have been in force for several years. It lists 31 banned practices and also refers to actions and practices that would affect the transactional decision of an average consumer. How an "average consumer" is defined can change dependant on the circumstances but it does not solely apply to the old or vulnerable.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284442/oft1008.pdf

There is no basis in law to support the argument that consumer protection legislation does not apply because no one had a gun put to their head or was forced to watch QVC.

Just to clarify some information posted earlier; Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 applies to all businesses and have been in force for several years. It lists 31 banned practices and also refers to actions and practices that would affect the transactional decision of an average consumer. How an "average consumer" is defined can change dependant on the circumstances but it does not solely apply to the old or vulnerable.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284442/oft1008.pdf

There is no basis in law to support the argument that consumer protection legislation does not apply because no one had a gun put to their head or was forced to watch QVC.

Actually, the CPRs demonstrate that DF did not do anything to contravene their requirements.

They say: 'The European Court of Justice interprets the "average consumer" as "reasonably well informed and reasonably observant and circumspect, taking into account social cultural and linguistic factors".'

It is ONLY where the product or service is specifically targeted at a more defined consumer group that any other consumer definition comes into play.

As DF was selling face creams, you'd be hard pressed to prove these were directed specifically at a 'vulnerable' group unless you're now saying that vanity reduces our capacity to make rational decisions!

Latest posts

Back