I think I have been duped again

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

saffie

Registered Shopper
I received my order of l'occitane the other day, it was the almond one, I have used it twice, and can smell absolutely nothing, neither on my skin, nor after in the bathroom, and as for making my skin soft can't feel a thing. I can truly say hand on heart, that my supermarket brand which costs a £1 is far superior and smells lovely on my skin for a fair while, the one I use is imperial leather bath cream love story, although it's for the bath I use it in the shower. I'm making myself a promise no more ordering something if I can't smell it or in the case of makeup see the colour in real life, all that money down the drain...Pardon the pun.

I've never rated the almond one, used to wonder why everyone raved over it. The original honey one by contrast, that used to smell throughout the whole house for ages afterward and I've never found another as good as that. Like Yankee Candles, maybe formulas are a lot more weaker now days.

I received my order of l'occitane the other day, it was the almond one, I have used it twice, and can smell absolutely nothing, neither on my skin, nor after in the bathroom, and as for making my skin soft can't feel a thing. I can truly say hand on heart, that my supermarket brand which costs a £1 is far superior and smells lovely on my skin for a fair while, the one I use is imperial leather bath cream love story, although it's for the bath I use it in the shower. I'm making myself a promise no more ordering something if I can't smell it or in the case of makeup see the colour in real life, all that money down the drain...Pardon the pun.

return it !!!!

Everything is watered down these days.

I know Q don't sell it but I found Fairy Liquid to be next to useless after years of excellent use.I found i was having to use loads of it instead of one small drop.

Looked online and the formula has indeed been changed and others have noticed including Which magazine.They are no longer rated number one.

i think its the new way of getting higher profits for less.

Oh and the bottle is smaller.

My wife uses the almond one and likes it, could be that all batches are not the same but I can smell it around the house. I do admit though there are many cheaper options these day that do smell as good if not better.

Everything is watered down these days.

I know Q don't sell it but I found Fairy Liquid to be next to useless after years of excellent use.I found i was having to use loads of it instead of one small drop.

Looked online and the formula has indeed been changed and others have noticed including Which magazine.They are no longer rated number one.

i think its the new way of getting higher profits for less.

Not sure that you are supposed to use fairy liquid as a shower gel :mysmilie_17:

There are lots of lovely shower gels and body washes around these days. I used to buy L`Occi, and almond was one of my favourites but the price began to creep up and up and one day I asked myself why I was spending such a lot of money on stuff which was literally going down the drain. I stopped buying L`Occi and have had a whale of a time swapping and changing, trying and using lots of other brands and have found many good ones amongst them. Champneys. Sanctuary, Yves Rocher, Soap and Glory, Boots No7, Original Source, Jason, just to name a few of them and most of them regularly found on offers and much much cheaper. The World is an oyster.

in case it is of interest
i used to love the Naked Bodycare range for bath and shower and hair products
no nasties at an affordable price and high quality ingredients, textures and smells

Boots then bought the company and appeared to have killed it, at least that is what it looked like for a year

they now have a range called Kind Natured
which seems to have inherited the Naked tradition and approach
no sulphates, parabens, petrochemicals etc
i have just bought a load of body washes and bath soaks for £2.49 each at Boots (current half price offer)
Amber and Pink Pepper 250 ml body wash and 300 ml bath soak for £2.49 each
and they are gorgeous
also got the Bergamot and Sea Salt ones,
and the Coconut and Passion Flower ones
(this smells nicer then the title suggest, with Patchouli, Sweet Orange, Clove and Passion Flower
and reminds me a little of an Elemis one)
all gorgeous, my kind of quality and cheap as chips
am well happy, as i was truly bummed out about Naked disappearing ....

I hate that! It really grinds my gears when you pick up a product you've been using for a while and notice that the pack is a fifth to a quarter smaller and yet the price has stayed the same. And it also fills me with despair when something I love has "new recipe" on it. In other words, they've found a way to sell you more air or more water and you know full well it won't taste or be the same.

My current favourite skin care and bath products are by 'balance me'. I have a few bits I got off the front of magazines and liked them, then I took advantage of a brilliant offer they ran with the Telegraph for about £90 of product for £16.95. When they arrived I liked them so much I ordered a second ( naughty me!) so I am stocked for ages now. The reason I like them is I have been so impressed with their rose otto body wash and moisturising cream for the body. My skin has never felt so good and the smell is divine. They are an ethical company and I have found the face and eye cream to be excellent for my 55 year old skin.Their balm and oil is so much better then the Liz Earle one I used to love ( no longer buy her stuff, haven't for years.) if you join their free loyalty scheme, you receive two freebies initially ( I received a 30ml face cream and a 15 ml eye cream) then you get something else each time you order. I'm not affiliated with balance me by the way, I am just loving their stuff.

Personally, if I can smell something around the house, or on my body after I've stepped out of the shower, that would be a black mark for me. We are surrounded by a cocophany of clashing and competing smells... what with the longer lasting washing powders and fabric conditioners, deodorants, body lotions... it gives me a headache.

I like the almond oil occasionally, and do find it makes my skin feel nice, but don't find the smell lingers - a positive for me. If I want a scent, I want only that scent. Most of the time I prefer to have everything unperfumed, or so lightly perfumed it isn't overbearing.

We're all different in what we like and what we expect.

I couldn't agree more with your above post May :mysmilie_497:

I'm very sensitive to the smell of lots of everyday things, cleaning products, shower and bath items and so on. I don't use fabric conditioner as they all smell too strong.
I like the Yankee melts but only certain ones, very few actually.
I use Ecover camomile washing up liquid, it only has a light scent and does not dry out my hands as hate using rubber gloves.
Any bath product that lingers on the skin is a no for me. I use Clinique unscented body lotion which is a fantastic product.

I felt conned at Christmas when buying two different L'Occitane sets so had to pay almost £12 in postage costs when presumably the sets originated from the same warehouse! Never again. I've now fallen in love with 'Original Source' shower gels, which cost £1 each at the moment for 250ml size. I love the Lemon and Tea Tree, Lime, Mango and there are plenty others to test......knowing I could have bought 12 for the price of the inflated QVC postage costs is still grating on my nerves....grrr

We are using Original Source Blue Ginger at the moment, but don't know what blue ginger is.

All their ingredients are natural eg real lemons, not lemon scent.

My current favourite skin care and bath products are by 'balance me'. I have a few bits I got off the front of magazines and liked them, then I took advantage of a brilliant offer they ran with the Telegraph for about £90 of product for £16.95. When they arrived I liked them so much I ordered a second ( naughty me!) so I am stocked for ages now. The reason I like them is I have been so impressed with their rose otto body wash and moisturising cream for the body. My skin has never felt so good and the smell is divine. They are an ethical company and I have found the face and eye cream to be excellent for my 55 year old skin.Their balm and oil is so much better then the Liz Earle one I used to love ( no longer buy her stuff, haven't for years.) if you join their free loyalty scheme, you receive two freebies initially ( I received a 30ml face cream and a 15 ml eye cream) then you get something else each time you order. I'm not affiliated with balance me by the way, I am just loving their stuff.

big fan of BalanceMe too

the box was a great offer
i would have ordered it if i didn't already have extras of the items 'in stock'
always squirrel away the magazine promo stuff
and, low and behold, there is one going at the mo on the £2 Glamour mag
3 great option imho, a steal at £2 each

a 100ml hand and body wash, smells citrussy,
my friend who now lives in the states fell in love with that one hard last time,
so i had to stock up for her and myself, hehe

the 30ml Radiance mask is really lovely , has some acids in it, but gentler the Alpha H, but still delivering

the 5ml tinted Wonder Eye cream is great, i don't like using concealer every day
and it is light enough to pat in under the eye, so a great choice for me
the 10ml tube is £20 at BalanceMe, so i have already collected 5 tubes and will try for a few mores before the month is out

the tinted lip balm is nice enough also, but the above options are even more stonking bargains imho

If anybody wants to a buy a range which is totally fragrance free then these are great. They`re skincare, shower, handwash, shampoo, liquid soap and gel bases which are sold to aromatherapists so they can mix their own blends. The bases do not contain perfumes or essential oils.
I love the cucumber cleanser base, the face wash and the aloe vera gel and I`ve also used the shampoo base and moisture cream. I have sensitive skin and find these bases are great and I also hate highly fragranced products too. P and P is capped at £3.95
http://www.naturallythinking.com/categories/Aromatherapy/Cosmetic-Bases/

I like Le Petit Marseillais range, which I think someone on this forum put me onto, but I buy them in North Cyprus as they are less than half the price charged in this country.

Last edited:
My mother likes loccitane soaps and indeed I purchase them for her birthday and Christmas (easy presents), but she doesn't like heavily fragranced products, so because of this, these soaps suit her 'down to the ground' as it were. I know that for the money it seems expensive, but she likes the fact that they leave her hands soft and supple and that you use all of the soap and they don't turn to 'mush'. So yes they are probably overly priced, given that they sell a lot there are either a lot of gullible people in the world or they do actually have some benefits. I suppose they 'tweak' the products from time to time to reflect the change in prices for the products. In some cases these changes may mean that the quality of the products may seem inferior compared to the price paid.

in case it is of interest
i used to love the Naked Bodycare range for bath and shower and hair products
no nasties at an affordable price and high quality ingredients, textures and smells

Boots then bought the company and appeared to have killed it, at least that is what it looked like for a year

they now have a range called Kind Natured
which seems to have inherited the Naked tradition and approach
no sulphates, parabens, petrochemicals etc
i have just bought a load of body washes and bath soaks for £2.49 each at Boots (current half price offer)
Amber and Pink Pepper 250 ml body wash and 300 ml bath soak for £2.49 each
and they are gorgeous
also got the Bergamot and Sea Salt ones,
and the Coconut and Passion Flower ones
(this smells nicer then the title suggest, with Patchouli, Sweet Orange, Clove and Passion Flower
and reminds me a little of an Elemis one)
all gorgeous, my kind of quality and cheap as chips
am well happy, as i was truly bummed out about Naked disappearing ....

I loved Naked Bodycare and was so upset when Boots bought and then destroyed it. Such a quirky website with great customer care and the products were brilliant. I bulk bought their Thirst aid moisturiser from Superdrug when it was 50% off and would have bought more if I had know it was disappearing. Googled for ages to find out what had happened to the company, so really happy for this update. Will check out the body products, but just wondering if there is any chance that their skincare range may also reappear,

Latest posts

Back