I look forward to your company........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
No you don't. You haven't a ****** clue who I am, I am not in the same room, and you are looking at the cameraman, so stop saying it.

That phrase, along with "thank you for joining me" are the biggest lies in broadcasting - whether its selly telly or the likes of squishy faced Lorraine Kelly. The media trainers have a lot to answer for, and need to realise that the viewer slumped in front of the box is neither 'joining or looking forward to the company of any presenter'. Far better to say "if you are watching you won't be disappointed", if they must say anything at all.

Life's full of little pleasantries though isn't it?

'How are you?' - when we don't really want to know the answer... 'Did you have a good break?' - when we don't really care either way... etc, etc.

Selly Telly Talk is just the same - pleasantries to make us feel comfortable - I don't mind being 'welcomed' and sometimes I am 'looking forward to' the presentations.

Funny how different things annoy us.

its all very american. many years ago i went to florida. never ever have i had such good service, smiles and variations of greetings

All part of the "I'm your friend you can trust me" ploy to make you part with your cash on things you don't really need.

its all very american. many years ago i went to florida. never ever have i had such good service, smiles and variations of greetings

Never having been to US I understand that the service is above our own (but very much at a price?) but is all that greeting and smiles not all a bit false?

Still which is worse, an insincere smile or a grump? LOL

In a bricks & mortar store I'd rather have the smiles and "have a nice day" welcome than the "if it's not on the rack we haven't got it!" approach.

Not sure there's a cost to the American version of customer service since most things seem cheaper when I've been over there! :mysmilie_14:

And the day I made my first order, the person on the end of the phone said "Welcome to the QVC family". I thought that was very unpleasant and manipulative. If only I had listened to my instinct and not placed another order!

(This was a reply to shopperholic's post, I pressed the wrong button)

And the day I made my first order, the person on the end of the phone said "Welcome to the QVC family". I thought that was very unpleasant and manipulative. If only I had listened to my instinct and not placed another order!

(This was a reply to shopperholic's post, I pressed the wrong button)

It's very patronising of them, but if they are my "family" surely I can borrow what I like then and not have to pay for it. :mysmilie_14:

Or "a VERY good evening to you"

Or how about: "AND a very good evening to you." (Usually as they turn round from their forced fit of laughter / "banter" with their guest as the set comes into vision). The other day Simon Biagi said: "ANNNNNNNNNNNND a very good morning to you..." Eugh!

Life's full of little pleasantries though isn't it?

'How are you?' - when we don't really want to know the answer... 'Did you have a good break?' - when we don't really care either way... etc, etc.

Selly Telly Talk is just the same - pleasantries to make us feel comfortable - I don't mind being 'welcomed' and sometimes I am 'looking forward to' the presentations.

Funny how different things annoy us.

Yep ! certainly right there !!

Never having been to US I understand that the service is above our own (but very much at a price?) but is all that greeting and smiles not all a bit false?

Still which is worse, an insincere smile or a grump? LOL

its a funny thing all the smiles etc now all the british companies are doing it. smiling. chatting etc. its called customer service

I may be THE grump, but when I receive a cold caller saying "hello Linda, and how are you today?" I get extremely irritated.

a) they are NOT my friend so who says they can call me Linda ? I'm old fashioned, I like to be called Mrs..... by total strangers.
b) I'd rather they get to the point instead of asking after my health. No doubt if I went into a barrage of my health issues they'd regret asking.

and yes
c) I know they are trying to earn a living by doing the god-awful job sat in a booth reading from a script, so I'm always polite.
and
d) now I'll wait for the same ones on here who will always say white to my black !....... I'm ready for you !

What do folks think of business answering the phone with the persons name, AXY Ltd Jane here how can I help you?

I only need the name of the person if I am taking notes of the conversation and then I ask for their full name (and time and date it!)

What do folks think of business answering the phone with the persons name, AXY Ltd Jane here how can I help you?

I only need the name of the person if I am taking notes of the conversation and then I ask for their full name (and time and date it!)

I work in a private doctor's surgery and we HAVE to answer "Good morning/afternoon, company name, (my name) speaking." Woe betide if we don't and the boss is at the other end of the phone!

We're also supposed to say "how can I help you" but I think that's a bit too far.

A lot of patients do reply "hello (my name)" so I must be doing it right!

Latest posts

Back