I know I should get a life but...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think zero is more common in America than it is in this country. If I were saying the number 0.4 I would say nought point four, not zero point four. 0 x 4 would be nought times four equals nought. Zero might be the way it ought to be said over a radio transmission (or similar) but it's far more common in this country to say "oh" or nought in normal conversation.

I have never once heard James Bond referred to as zero zero seven! :grin:
And each time someone quotes their phone number at me (and let's face it they all begin with 0) I never hear anyone say Zero.

When I write numbers though, I usually put a line through the 0 to show it's a number, especially if it's a mixed code of letters and numbers :happy: I do wish people would do that more.
I work with computers a lot.

I think zero is more common in America than it is in this country. If I were saying the number 0.4 I would say nought point four, not zero point four. 0 x 4 would be nought times four equals nought. Zero might be the way it ought to be said over a radio transmission (or similar) but it's far more common in this country to say "oh" or nought in normal conversation.

I have never once heard James Bond referred to as zero zero seven! :grin:
And each time someone quotes their phone number at me (and let's face it they all begin with 0) I never hear anyone say Zero.

When I write numbers though, I usually put a line through the 0 to show it's a number, especially if it's a mixed code of letters and numbers :happy: I do wish people would do that more.
I work with computers a lot

I have done that for years and every time Mrs Bates still arses it up and claims she doesn't understand this and it confuses her terribly (boo freaking hoo) yet when she is repeating numbers to me and I say letter "o" or number "0" she will confidently inform me of the wrong choice.
When 24 hour clock times are being given the often are oh not zero here or am I dreaming that?

No Lottie I wouldn't if talking about James Bond specifically because oh oh seven is synonymous with the Bond brand but not being a fan I can't think of a time that I would ever need to say anyway. However, my use of zero instead of 'oh' or 'nought' was in answer to your question below and it was you who saw fit to diversify into something totally unrelated.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Lottie
I do that, mainly because I can't be bothered to say zero all the time (my phone number has 3 of them in it) :grin:

How many people would say zero one six one instead of oh one six one etc.? hehehhe

All Primary Schools have an admission number(PAN)- for example in the village where I work two schools have twenty, another thirty, one forty and another one has forty-five. You cannot have more than thirty children with one teacher in a KS1 class so that is why you end up with mixed age group classes. Teaching assistants need to have a basic maths and english qualification to be employed in my area, but it is not the equivalent of a GCE. I agree that many teachers and teaching assistants do not have the correct grammatical knowledge to help their pupils and many cannot model correct English when they speak.It is a very sensitive issue as someone can easily be upset if corrected, yet if you leave it children will not know the correct form and are at a disdavantage when competing for jobs with Europeans who have better spoken English and grammar skills.

Teaching assistants need to have a basic maths and english qualification to be employed in my area, but it is not the equivalent of a GCE.

Unfortunately you are wrong. It's quite possible to get a level 2 TA with no maths and english quals, or with poor quals (i.e. D-G). Adult Maths and English quals at Level 2 are considered to be equivalent to GCSE at Foundation level. However, knowing that this exam can be passed at a rate of around 50%, I would say that it doesn't guarantee the person having an excellent working knowledge of basic maths - which you need if you are going to be able to teach maths up to and including all levels possible at KS3. I teach no end of teaching assistants who are working in schools and I know they do not have either a GCSE or GCE C and above, or an adult qual.

. . . . It is a very sensitive issue as someone can easily be upset if corrected, yet if you leave it children will not know the correct form and are at a disdavantage when competing for jobs with Europeans who have better spoken English and grammar skills.

I have personal experience of this every day, and it's not just Europeans who have better skills. The nature of my work means that we need every possible language on a daily basis, so my colleagues come from all around the world. My non-British workmates are, in the main, able to speak and write much better English than most of the young people we work with. I sit between a Columbian woman and a French woman, and neither of them can understand how it is that so many English graduates are unable to construct a letter that's grammatically correct. It really is embarrassing when so many of my colleagues are more skilled in their second language than so many Brits are in their first - and when I see an Argentinian correcting a letter written by an English graduate.

While watching coverage of the terrible events in Norway I was struck by the excellent English spoken by many Norwegians who were interviewed. It was not just grammatically correct, it was fluent and expressive too.

Just found this thread and I'm with you on 'paintent' 'expresso' 'bergamont' but I don't think my biggest pet hate has been commented on (apologies if I am wrong) for which CH is by far the worst culprit, but others including the sainted Pipa also say "we have got" , why not "we have" the got is ugly and unnecessary. I attended a grammar school and we weren't allowed to use "got" in written work at all, it had to be "have"; drives me crazy!

Watched the two Tiffany Style Lighting shows today where two smaller lamps were titled on screen as being "miniture" rather than miniature ...

Its not about the grammar as to be honest mine would not stand up to examination but i just want to scream and often do when every I mean every piece of jewellery would look good with a crisp white shirt and a pair of jeans OMG if I hear that one more TIME.............. in truth I am finding the beloved QVC more and more irritating so hardly ever watch now.

Its not about the grammar as to be honest mine would not stand up to examination but i just want to scream and often do when every I mean every piece of jewellery would look good with a crisp white shirt and a pair of jeans OMG if I hear that one more TIME.............. in truth I am finding the beloved QVC more and more irritating so hardly ever watch now.

I am so with you there - tedious, boring, affected, same old ............

I do agree with you on this one. I am sick of hearing about the crisp white shirt teamed with jeans. The presenters should appear in that ensemble everytime there is a jewellery show. In fact, I think QVC should make it compulsory and then we'll see how they like it! :giggle:

thought it was just me! QVC was always the first thing I put on on my TV, now it's the last. I also find the "crisp white shirt" annoying and also the way we are told we can see "the colour coming through" aaaaaaarrrgh!

In view of the approaching spotty Lulu Guinness TSV I'm bracing myself for the onslaught of references to "poker dots". Coming from Lancashire I'm used to properly articulated consonants. It's polka dots people; POLKA dots!

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back