I know I should get a life but...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Me too Carol, and I got all the smacks for my little brother too!!

as with me and Sis then..she's five years younger and was such a delicate tiny little thing she didn't get smacked often at all! I've always said life ain't fair!

Just tell him to stand still while you grab a chair Lottie! Um..I didn't wait till I got to the blue in the face stage I'm afraid..if I told her 2 or 3 times to no avail, then it was a smack - I got told once and once only!

Haha you're mum sounds like mine. we got 'THE STARE' and if we were lucky a verbal warning, but that was it. the smack came next and you knew damn well it would.
It didn't take long to learn to stop misbehaving when you saw 'THE STARE'.

Haha you're mum sounds like mine. we got 'THE STARE' and if we were lucky a verbal warning, but that was it. the smack came next and you knew damn well it would.
It didn't take long to learn to stop misbehaving when you saw 'THE STARE'.

Exactly the same for me too!1 But it worked!!

I don't like tissue when it's said "tissssssyew", it's oh so pretentious. I know it's not really spelt "tishoo" but I prefer it said that way :giggle:

Hahaha I hate that too, well actually I don't hate it, but it annoys me as much as it makes me giggle, and the same goes for posh news reporters who pronounce sexual as "sekssyewal" - it seems such a drawn-out, fussy way of saying it :sweat:

I too am extremely irritated by most of the above - hate the use of myself instead of me/I and I can't understand why people seem to think that as soon as 'there' is in a sentence, the verb has to be singular (There is fifteen pearls in this necklace). Staying on the necklace theme, so many presenters don't know the difference between a countable and uncountable noun (I can't believe the amount of pearls in this necklace). Yes, of course language evolves, but the above examples point to a sad lack of grammar lessons in our schools, I'm afraid. Perhaps Murphy's English Grammar in Use should become a compulsory 18th birthday present!

It's not just the lack of grammar lessons in the schools, but it's the fact that many teachers and also teaching assistants do not know basic grammar themselves.
Teachers and teaching assistants should have to pass enhanced grammar and spelling tests before being let loose in the classroom. As it is, both teachers and teaching assistants are lacking in these skills and also in numeracy skills and so ought to be tested in this too. Many teachers enter the profession later in life and haven't done maths for years. Many teaching assistants have no quals in Maths and English yet are working with children and are out of their depth. Some do make an effort to put this right, but how many don't?

When people say "oh" when they should have said "zero" - one's a letter, the other's a number - learn the blimmin' difference!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

One of my biggest regrets is that I was taught english during the seventies and my school embraced I.T.A.

When I went to school at 4/5 years old I could already read and spell. But I had been taught by my mum. So I spelled words out in capital letters as that is what she had taught me.
I was horribly confused to suddenly be confronted by phonetics and the ITA system. I had work returned to me with big red 'see me' written all over it, because I refused to use the ITA system.
My mum went to complain to the school to be told " This is the way we do it, the children will learn the correct way when they are 7 or 8. At which point she pointed out that I already knew the correct way.

By the time I reached senior school, the system had fallen out of favour. But in the meantime we had not been taught any grammar. I didn't know what a noun was or knew when to start a new paragraph. The assumption was made that we already knew this at 11 and it was never taught again. I was too embarassed to admit I didn't know and subsequently hated english lessons.

It's something that I have been acutely aware of all my life and feel totally disadvantaged by it when it comes to expressing myself in writing.

I don't think teachers realise how important basic grammar is. I had terrible difficulty with any essay's and also french lessons too. as of course they talked about conjugating verbs etc and I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

One of my biggest regrets is that I was taught english during the seventies and my school embraced I.T.A.

When I went to school at 4/5 years old I could already read and spell. But I had been taught by my mum. So I spelled words out in capital letters as that is what she had taught me.

By the time I reached senior school, the system had fallen out of favour. But in the meantime we had not been taught any grammar.

I also learnt ITA and I can't see any problem with it to be honest. Your mum shouldn't have taught you using capital letters for a start, that isn't the proper way.
Not all schools used ITA, only a select few so she should have sent you to one that didn't use ITA. It's a risk you take to try and teach your children before they go to school or using a method which is different to the school you choose to send your child. By the 70s, ITA was being used in fewer schools, it was mainly a 60s phenomenon.

The ITA method was devised by Pitman in order to introduce children to phonics, given the problems many children experience with the anomalies of the English language. It was also thought that this method would help where traditional methods might fail (as in children who struggle with problems like dyslexia).

I did grammar at school till I was blue in the face, so it doesn't always follow that if you did ITA you didn't do grammar.

When people say "oh" when they should have said "zero" - one's a letter, the other's a number - learn the blimmin' difference!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I do that, mainly because I can't be bothered to say zero all the time (my phone number has 3 of them in it) :grin:

How many people would say zero one six one instead of oh one six one etc.? hehehhe

I'm not sure anyone had a great deal of choice of Primary school in the 60s and 70s when schools were often over-crowded. My little primary school had a huge baby-boom in it's catchment (as did all surrounding schools) so that in my final year (yr6) there were more than 70 kids in that year split into two classes with classrooms in the school hall, corridors, local church halls. In spite of class sizes over 35 everyone in my class passed their 11+ and in English we were parsing sentences which gave me a great foundation when it came to learning French and (shudder) Latin at high school. It was the same in maths, the high school was excellent but I really didn't learn anything new until the third year (yr9) in English and Maths.
I would agree that learning to read before school makes little difference long term; my sister taught me to read by the time I was 3, but with my own children I made no real efforts to teach them to read other than maybe their names and singing the alphabet and they haven't been disadvantaged by waiting to be taught in school. We did use language in lots of other ways: singing and rhymes and just talking a lot which seems to be the way to learn how to speak correctly (without excluding local accents and idioms which I love).

Jude xx

It has been bugging me lately the way words are pronounced in a 'lazy' manner, for instance AY the other day constantly said 'bedder' instead of 'better', likewise with 'fordy' instead of 'forty'.

Some good grammer peeps may be able to help here, but say I am using a cleanser, I would say that I use it in the morning or in the evening but AY says 'on a morning or on an evening' which to me does not sound right, is this correct as it has puzzled me for literally actually yuurrs!? Thanks!

:flower:

I'm not sure anyone had a great deal of choice of Primary school in the 60s and 70s when schools were often over-crowded.

In those days there were no class limits and so you could easily change from school to school and class sizes were regularly over 35. Nowadays if you move house or want to change school it's often impossible to get into the closest school because it's over-subscribed and doesn't necessarily give preference to those in the closest proximity. Nowadays, 30 seems to be the limit and preference is only given if a child is in care or a child of a travelling family, or on religious grounds if the school is Catholic for example. I'd say it's much harder to switch schools nowadays.

Latest posts

Back