I have got a little place in Spain!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We really like Santiago de la ribera but avoid it in the summer - tend to go down when there more out of season and sit on the front and watch the world go by. We love our little neck of the woods it is still quite Spanish and really quite quiet.
It's funny before we went there we had been unsure of buying in Spain but we really do love the region we're in.
We wake to cockerells and donkeys braying, a bit different to here.
Oh I so miss it!

Have you Julia? That's nice!
I haven't but I have got a husband......! What's that Julia, oh, you haven't, have you......?

OK, that was mean.......meh, who cares.....! lol
(Could be a hut on a hillside for all we know - I wouldn't want a house in Spain anyway - far too hot & full of expat chavs.......bleurgh!)

I have to say this is the most surreal thread ever. It started off where everyone was having a go about Julia and her Holiday home in Spain and has gotten to the point where other people are doing exactly what she's been accused of ie bragging about their own H homes in Spain but doing it by way of this thread.
Also KWC looking at your quote you have not taken into consideration that Julia has a partner called Chris and just because she may not be married to him doesn't invalidate the seriousness of her relationship one iota, she may, like me, see no need to have a ring/ceremony/piece of paper to validate her feelings for him.

As for her "bragging" about her holiday home, she has worked on QVC for fifteen years and previously on TV even when her children were small and she could have justifiably stayed at home but chose not to. I'm not overkeen on her myself but she's worked hard enough to deserve her luxuries so why shouldn't she mention them. I'm sure if she was an actor/pop star/footballer no one would bat an eyelid.

Other people may think I'm overreacting to this but I don't find it funny pulling people to shreds just because they have things, and for your information I neither own my home here or have a holiday home, my choice.

It was me who said/started about her dearest wish IMO is to be married - if she wasn't insecure about it,IMO,why would she/does she wear a wedding band and engagement ring............like I say,just my opinion...........

as for the little place in spain,well good luck to her :)

I really dont think people are bragging about having property there. I have a place in Spain Ive had for 12 years. We worked hard fo 20 years to buy it.

Last edited:
What I was saying about bragging is that I watched the clip of Julia discussing her place in Spain and I don't think she bragged either anymore than you are insisting you haven't so when I compare you to her I'm only saying you are saying it in the same tone she is and people are insinuating she is bragging well read as you want.
I don't have a problem with people being proud, happy etc if they have managed to buy, or acquire a holiday home any more than those who go on holiday two or three times a year, it's a matter of choice and preference and I have no doubt that unless someone is born into money they have invariably worked hard not just for a holiday home but their main home and anything else they choose to spend their money on.
What I am saying is that Julia has worked hard too, working when her children were young to have these possibilities, in my book it's called working hard so why should she be hauled over the coals about having her place in Spain? Before someone say's anything about children, childcare etc I made the decision to work part time when my children were small and therefore chose not to earn vast amounts of money apart from the fact that I couldn't be bothered to go past O levels at school, all my choice as working hard was hers. These choices have affected what I now have but I don't begrudge someone else having more I just need to prioritise to get what I truly want.

As for marriage, I would rather thave a long term relationship that is stable and where my kids knew we as parents wanted to be together than opt for a marriage that doesn't last. I still wear rings on my wedding finger, one because it is ultimately a ring finger, two because it stops you getting chatted up when out and about and three because I am committed to my relationship and it's a visual reminder to people that this is the case and as there are so many judgemental people out there it is something they can see.
In fact that is my only concession to pleasing others.

I've got a little place in Greece ...... it's called Artemis Towers. I've already booked me airfare and I'll be turning up any day - anyone care to join me, I'm sure we'll all be welcome!!! :mysmilie_17:

Thank you lizdelassa. I fully agree with your views and I always try to delight in and celebrate the achievements of others.

I've got a little place in Greece ...... it's called Artemis Towers. I've already booked me airfare and I'll be turning up any day - anyone care to join me, I'm sure we'll all be welcome!!! :mysmilie_17:

Oh that it were ours! We'd love to have a little place in Greece but we can't afford one. However, I don't begrudge anyone else having one, or even mentioning it.

Last edited:
Oh that it were ours! We'd love to have a little place in Greece but we can't afford one. However, I don't begrudge anyone else having one, or even mentioning it.

Ah, never mind Artemis, as long as you're happy, that's what really counts. We don't have a holiday home, though I'm sure it would be lovely. I don't mind other people talking about theirs either, it's nice to dream!

one day I would love a home abroad and say good luck to anyone who has a place abroad wherever it may be...
it must be nice to be able to pop over for the weekend or a long weekend whenever you can manage it
for now I will have to make do with my fortnight in the summer hols!!!!!!

I have to say this is the most surreal thread ever. It started off where everyone was having a go about Julia and her Holiday home in Spain and has gotten to the point where other people are doing exactly what she's been accused of ie bragging about their own H homes in Spain but doing it by way of this thread.

I'm a bit confused here - you don't think she was bragging but you think those who mention their own home are doing it and using this thread to do so ? I did not pull her to shreds, in fact I said even though I don't like her much I understood her excitement. I mentioned my place to show that more 'ordinary' people have places than you might think and I think this thread has brought that out and I haven't seen anyone 'bragging' about their places, in fact it has been nice to find other people who have shared experiences. I don't feel the need to brag to anyone on a forum I'm likely never to meet!

As for Santiago de la Ribera, I only found that on my last visit and I loved the Spanishness of it.

I've just read this with great interest and agree and disagree with alot of your comments, I live in Spain, but I just wanted to add, I have to work to be able to live here, and I have just transferred my life in the UK to here, I don't sit on the balcony every night with a glass of wine in my hand, or sit every day on the beach, in reality, yesterday it rained all day and night but today the sun has been shining, but the temperature today was around 11 degrees, and I feel the cold here just like I did in the UK, I race home after work to watch all the soaps, just like I did in the UK, I go to Iceland for all my shopping, my point is, having a house abroad isn't the be all and end all, and I haven't made this post to offend anyone.

We'd really love a place aboard the only thing is the place we dream of having a home is just a huge dream.
We know a couple who have a place that they live in for most of the year as well as property and a business in the uk.
The only thing is the property they had built cost something between £1.5 - £2 million.
If anyone saw a Million Pound Place in the Sun from the Algarve where Ronaldo likes to holiday and Man U / England have trained that's the place.

Bags dream on ................

http://www.valedolobo.com/home/

:mysmilie_701:

Last edited:
I think everyone's missing the point. It doesn't matter if posters here talk about their holiday homes etc. But when TV *salespeople* do, along with the cost of getting their roots done every month and how many bathrooms they have while telling you what a bargain a thirty quid bottle of skin cream is, you just feel they're not living in the same world as you. It makes them remote.

Julia loves to talk about herself, so I am sure she just mentioned it in a normal way, as she mentions daughter Sophie, Son, etc...I am happy for julia that she has a place in Spain she can enjoy - she sure works hard enough for it. Some of the things that she has to talk about in an engaging, positive way (Quaker Factory, Indigo Moon, Kim n Co spring to mind) not to mention having to go on telly and have her bits n bobs scrutinized by the likes of us lot sitting safely behind our monitors.

On another note, I don't have a little place in Spain or anywhere else, but I have something much more valuable, the ability to appreciate the moment. Too many of us are sitting there wishing for this or that, or to win the lottery. We should either get off our backsides and do something about it, or accept that actually, we're pretty happy and lucky just where we are.

I agree that we probably all don't appreciate what we have in life enough Ll'OE and I would add good health to the top of your list, because to me that is by far the most important. However, it's natural and fun for us to dream a little bit as long as we don't let it take over our lives!

Web Copy http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html
MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

just a thought - tee-hee
Xeroph xx

Web Copy http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html
MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

just a thought - tee-hee
Xeroph xx

:mysmilie_61:

Thanks Xeroph, that gave me such a good laugh!!! I love it.

I often burst out laughing when I read the comments on this forum, while my kids are in bed. Sometimes they ask me the next day what was so funny that I was laughing my head off!

:mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back