How did QVC handle the bad news

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
I'd be very interested to know how QVC broached the subject of the atrocities in Belgium this morning. I know that QVC normally just divorces itself from anything going on in the real world, so intent are they on peddling their potions and mediocre fashion - in a mediocre fashion.

Did they acknowledge or make any sort of reference to the events? Did they suspend programming? What did they say and how did they handle it?

I'm sure it can't be easy to sell face cream when people are caught up in death and carnage. Was it "business as usual" at QVC, flogging dead horses?

Did you tune in this morning? What were your observations?

Last edited:
Q never comment on news outside of Q towers - unless Crystal Palace have won ! I cant remember them even saying anything when the new royal babies arrives.

Whether it will be different at the passing of her Majesty and will go off air who knows - but being an American company it may be unlikely. (remaining on that sad note, I expect it will be a sea of mobile phones taking pictures of her coffin along the route, as seems to be the norm these days - shaking my head in disgust)

Seems like they probably didn't say anything at all. Sometimes I like QVC for the escapism but who would seriously want to watch Sara Griffiths screeching like some demented banshee about an ink roller when significant events are happening?

Seems like they probably didn't say anything at all. Sometimes I like QVC for the escapism but who would seriously want to watch Sara Griffiths screeching like some demented banshee about an ink roller when significant events are happening?

Sara Griffiths herself?

Q never comment on news outside of Q towers - unless Crystal Palace have won ! I cant remember them even saying anything when the new royal babies arrives.

Whether it will be different at the passing of her Majesty and will go off air who knows - but being an American company it may be unlikely. (remaining on that sad note, I expect it will be a sea of mobile phones taking pictures of her coffin along the route, as seems to be the norm these days - shaking my head in disgust)

They mentioned it when Kipling brought out a new monkey to commemorate the occasion of the new prince, and of course Q were selling it.

They mentioned it when Kipling brought out a new monkey to commemorate the occasion of the new prince, and of course Q were selling it.

I didn't see this but it sounded like an offence to the new prince. Tbh, I thought it was a joke when I first read it.

I've always assumed they don't mention things outsider QVC land because it could prompt you to change channels and therefore not buy whatever they are flogging.

Did they acknowledge or make any sort of reference to the events? Did they suspend programming? What did they say and how did they handle it?

Why on earth would you expect them to make any reference to this? They're a shop, not a news channel. Boots and M&S didn't refer to it or close their doors either, why would they?

If I am honest I find these comments rich/funny/bizarre coming from a person who when told I lost my family in a bomb explosion glibly said "I am sorry for your loss BUT". But then tact, compassion and common decency can sometimes be lacking from posts in this forum - not all the time I hasten to add but occasionally from certain folk.

I don't think they mention news items except I remember Claire mentioning the floods in passing.I don't want them to start discussing these things in general,there are enough other channels doing that.

If I am honest I find these comments rich/funny/bizarre coming from a person who when told I lost my family in a bomb explosion glibly said "I am sorry for your loss BUT". But then tact, compassion and common decency can sometimes be lacking from posts in this forum - not all the time I hasten to add but occasionally from certain folk.

windowshopping, I am sorry to hear of your lost. As someone who lives in Belfast so many over the years will know how you felt and would have grieved with you.

Its not QVC's job to suspend anything outside their aim to sell. If and when there is a minute silence for the victims, I will say them might do that as they have before.

Jeremy Kyle was cancelled and its seems all hell broke loose because it was. Didn't your paper deem to mention that Julius?

Windowshopping. I must have completely missed that thread. I am sorry for your loss. Awful circumstances. No buts.

I don't particularly want, need or expect QVC to comment. I don't expect someone at the door of my local supermarket announcing the news either.

Would not expect them to mention what is going on in world outside qvc towers they are all on a different planet anyway.

Yes I agree, to put it politely Julius isn't exactly the most compassionate of people, going by the comments he's made. "BUT" should never be a word mentioned anywhere near that someone has lost their family, that's so sad.

Why on earth would you expect them to make any reference to this? They're a shop, not a news channel. Boots and M&S didn't refer to it or close their doors either, why would they?

Exactly what I was going to say, I couldn't agree more.

Simon Biagi should really think before he speaks, he laughingly said "there's going to be a lot of bombs going off this morning!" isn't an appropriate thing to say in the light of things, I'll give LuLu her due for telling him it's not appropriate, the man is constantly cheesy and trying to be funny, this time though it bit him on the bum.

Message to self.......stop channel hopping!! :mysmilie_13: