Hotel Chocolat TSV 17/10/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

REPORT ON USING NON-HC CHOCOLATE

Just tried using some chocolate bars.

The "beater spring" looks very fragile, so whatever you use has to be very finely grated to avoid damage. Also, because it may have a higher melting point than HC choc, Youtube videos suggest heating the milk a bit first in the machine before sprinkling it in.

I first tried a 150g bar of Lidl chilli choc. I broke up the squares into smaller pieces, then put into my Kuhn-Rikon pull-chop to break it up finer.

This took ages, and really gave me muscle ache, and yet it still had lumps which were far too big for the Velvetiser, as well as some fine powder.

So I only used the powder parts and this worked OK, then I put the rest into my Bullet-type machine (Ninja auto-IQ) and this seemed OK, but it was less than 100g.

It tasted fine, although I haven't tried the HC chilli yet to compare.

Next I put 2x150g bars of Lidl sea salt choc into the Ninja, thinking I'd make a large batch at once.

This was a bit of a disaster. It ground it up OK, but then it jammed up around the blades, and "joined back together again" so it took ages to scrape it off the blades, and it was still lumpy as it had joined back together into soft lumps. Perhaps the machine had melted it a bit by friction.

So I put this into a container, then had to chop the lumps back into a powder. Then I made a drink with 35g, but this time the machine made a loud noise after 30 seconds. Couldn't see any reason tor it, and after removing and replacing the whizzer, it was OK.

The drink was fine, but I haven't yet tried the HC equivalent.

So It seems I will have to actually GRATE the chocolate manually, which I was trying to avoid as I dislike grating anything.

As I said, the "whizzer spring" does look very delicate, so I don't know how long it will last. You have to be very gentle cleaning it, and try to avoid touching it.

You'd hate my feet then! If I don't grate with my Microplane then fine it off with my Scholl my feet make more noise than my dog's claws walking on wood.

Sainsbury's used to do a tube of Belgian choc in the form of tiny buttons to stick in hot chocolate. I've not found anything to match it but I've not tried HC either.

I have a milk warmer/frother from Lidl that I now use for hot choc. I don't find it gets the milk hot enough but a quick twirl in the microwave after it's been in the frother does the job.

I can't make it as good as the frother does so obviously the whizzing around does a good job.

Anyone tried Carluccio's hot choc? It was so rich, smooth and delicious. I've never tasted anything like it. That was years ago, though. Is it still going?

Sainsbury's used to do a tube of Belgian choc in the form of tiny buttons to stick in hot chocolate. I've not found anything to match it but I've not tried HC either.

I have a milk warmer/frother from Lidl that I now use for hot choc. I don't find it gets the milk hot enough but a quick twirl in the microwave after it's been in the frother does the job.

I can't make it as good as the frother does so obviously the whizzing around does a good job.

Anyone tried Carluccio's hot choc? It was so rich, smooth and delicious. I've never tasted anything like it. That was years ago, though. Is it still going?
I think Carluccios restaurants all closed a few months ago...victim of Covid

I just had my first cup, a classic 70%.

A bit sweet for me as I don't have sugar in or on anything.

But I am really looking forward to trying my own chocolate, for example I already have chilli, and salted, and will try a chocolate orange, grated in my pull-chop, will be a lot cheaper.

I will also look out for bulk-buy packs of a different make, please let me know if you can recommend anything. I will also try my normal instant coffee, and also cocoa (which I have unsweetened) but it is always difficult to mix smoothly.
I didn’t buy it as I would just make way too much and put on weight but I had a capuchino made with my Delongi coffee machine to which I added a shot of Baileys. It was delicious

I use about 4 pints of milk every day, but 1L of this is to make daily yogurt. Then I have a lot of semi-skimmed fresh milk on my cereals (4 types mixed together), and all the rest is skimmed UHT. I buy semi-skimmed in 6 pint bottles, and have a large stash of UHT skimmed, and often buy 36 at once as they come in 12s.
I’ve started making Kefir but the starter pack on seems to last for 3 litres. In fact the third litre seperated so I filtered it in muslin to make kefir cheese

I've looked at the Lidl one in the past but wasn't tempted as there was no demo to show what it did, unlike the one on QVC.

But if it does the same as the HC then it would be a fraction of the price, although the HC one did give lots of samples, plus 2 ceramic cups, reportedly worth £20, but I'll probably never use them.

OH might like them, but when I'm on my own, I DO DRINK directly from the machine, as it is already hot on the inside, and well insulated, so it keeps the drink hot. If I poured it into a mug, I would then need to microwave it, so I don't see the point as the machine is very comfortable to drink from. And I would have 2 things to wash up!

Everyone!! What are you doing??? What an absolute and utter faff to make a cup of hot chocolate o_Oo_O If I may make a suggestion. Whisky bottle, uncork, pour, drink. Ahhhh. 10 seconds maximum. Cheers 🥃 (y)

A 12 year old Glenlivet is only about £40 as well. A complete steal compared to HC :sneaky:

CC

Everyone!! What are you doing??? What an absolute and utter faff to make a cup of hot chocolate o_Oo_O If I may make a suggestion. Whisky bottle, uncork, pour, drink. Ahhhh. 10 seconds maximum. Cheers 🥃 (y)

A 12 year old Glenlivet is only about £40 as well. A complete steal compared to HC :sneaky:

CC

Never liked whisky or other spirits EXCEPT in liqueur chocolates, so perhaps I should add some to my hot chocolate drink?

CC
You beat me to it CC! I've loved all these posts & read every one with the same feeling of bemusement I get if I ever see Morris dancers.

You beat me to it CC! I've loved all these posts & read every one with the same feeling of bemusement I get if I ever see Morris dancers.
I saw them once in a pub in Shenston when I first met Mr CC. The Fox and Hounds in fact. Grown men leaping about fancifully while waving scarves and having jingle bells around their knees. I've not been drinking by the way :p

CC

Just putting it out there I’m not really that fond of chocolate, its hubby that really likes his chocolate.
Give me a bag of crisps and some midget gems any day.
Only hot drink I drink is black no sugar decaf coffee once in a blue moon when I feel cold. 😂

Try Fire Eater crisps then, my current favourite - - really hot.

The packet says "Do you dare to eat them?" and "Searing hot".

Chilli and lemon are my favourite, much hotter than Walkers "Max strong chilli".

You have been warned, not for the faint hearted and if you want to keep your sense of taste!

Just putting it out there I’m not really that fond of chocolate, its hubby that really likes his chocolate.
Give me a bag of crisps and some midget gems any day.
Only hot drink I drink is black no sugar decaf coffee once in a blue moon when I feel cold. 😂
I read your second sentence but for some reason didn't see gems - it gave it a whole new meaning 🤣

The very one! God that was years ago. We sat out the back as it was a sunny day, pint of cider, still dating Mr CC really, then our romance was interrupted by some drum bashing, squeezebox squeezing band of Morris Men lol. At least we knew we both had a sense of humour!

CC
That's lovely 💕

Try Fire Eater crisps then, my current favourite - - really hot.

The packet says "Do you dare to eat them?" and "Searing hot".

Chilli and lemon are my favourite, much hotter than Walkers "Max strong chilli".

You have been warned, not for the faint hearted and if you want to keep your sense of taste!
Seabrook prawn crinkle for me.
You sound to have a too hot and spicy taste for me 😂

Latest posts

Back