Honey Bells

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think that when something is o astonishingly bitter as a normal grapefruit is, it's natures way of saying "do not eat me". Typical human behaviour to ignore that and eat it anyway, or to try and alter its genetics to make it sweet. We'll be seeing human ears grown on a mouses back next :0)

Yeah think you're right BurlyBear, i never ever liked ordinary grapefruits, but my daughter was buying the red ones, and urged me
to try them, and i liked them, but they obviously don't like me, natures way of telling me i suppose

Not sure why they are being called Honey Bells - they have Ben known and sold here in the past as Tangelos.
I do remember Ugli fruits - used to like them I seem to recall but that was back in the day when anything other than the usual orange, apple, pear or banana was exotic and exciting (am very old!)

There is an enzyme in grapefruit (and other thick skinned citrus fruits such as blood oranges) that contra-indicates with many medicines. Don't worry if you are a marmalade fan, the enzyme is destroyed in the high temperatures of the cooking process, but as many people eat these fruits raw, they should be avoided if on medication. Another fruit that falls into the category of thick-skinned citrus fruits is a pomelo, which was fashionable for a short while about 12 years ago.

what's a pomelo dips? another cross?

i seem to remember uglis were quite nice but then again i like grapefruit. as barbs says the red ones asre really nice and don't need sugar added. the attraction to me of the 'new' fruits, is variety - i get very bored with the fruit available win winter. i'm not a huge apple fan and really it's just apples, pears and oranges.

wow! the link in that article to breast cancer is astounding! 1/4 grapefruit a day makes you 30% more like;y to get breast cancer because it increases oestrogen levels??? what about people taking HRT?

I used to love all kinds of fruit but in the past 5 or so years I've found it too acidic for me and I've more or less stopped eating it. I can manage cherries (yum), melon and mango but don't enjoy apples, pears, oranges, bananas etc. Grapes are a complete no-no, I get heart burn even thinking about them. Grapefruit are banned ads I'm taking statins.

I eat lots of veg and salad to compensate, plus a small glass of fruit juice most days.

Linda xx

I used to love all kinds of fruit but in the past 5 or so years I've found it too acidic for me and I've more or less stopped eating it. I can manage cherries (yum), melon and mango but don't enjoy apples, pears, oranges, bananas etc. Grapes are a complete no-no, I get heart burn even thinking about them. Grapefruit are banned ads I'm taking statins.

I eat lots of veg and salad to compensate, plus a small glass of fruit juice most days.

Linda xx

Is that small glass of fruit juice fermented Linda? lol

what's a pomelo dips? another cross?

It's not a cross, it's a natural fruit from Asia. If you do see it in the supermarket, it's often in the exotic fruit section rather than the citrus as it is classified as an exotic. HTH!

Latest posts

Back