Honey Bells

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flying Pigs

Registered Shopper
Was having a nosey on QVC USA and the TSV on there today is fruit - a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. Never heard of fruit being sold by QVC ( except as plants) and never heard of honey bells. Does anyone know anything more about them?

You don't get any marks for repeating the Q as an answer.....Aaaaaaaarrrrgh...34 years since my O levels and I'm still brain-washed!

Jude the obscure xx

In America, there is a long history of buying fruit by mail order. There are businesses and catalogues dedicated just to apples or pears etc. I remember attending a course on best practice in selling by mail order about 10 years ago and we reviewed several gift catalogues dedicated to fruit, which seemed very foreign to the UK delegates! I think it goes back to America's history of rapidly expanding into laregly unpopulated areas in the 19th century and using the railways to distribute fresh foods.

I think that this must just be an extension of that trend.

Thank you Dips. Fresh fruit is so available for us that it seems strange to have a TSV. on the other hand they sell the meats and pies don't they. Fruit has such a short shelf life generally that I can't imagine ordering by post. What would the carriers do to it!

Thank you Dips. Fresh fruit is so available for us that it seems strange to have a TSV. on the other hand they sell the meats and pies don't they. Fruit has such a short shelf life generally that I can't imagine ordering by post. What would the carriers do to it!

Heavens could you imagine the mess they'd make with this, plus what about the potential for creepy crawlies !!!!!

Why would anyone want to cross a grapefruit with a tangerine? Something very bitter with something very sweet, to get some sort of nondescript middle ground?

I'd rather eat an orange.

Why would anyone want to cross a grapefruit with a tangerine? Something very bitter with something very sweet, to get some sort of nondescript middle ground?

I'd rather eat an orange.

I'd rather eat a grapefruit (with demerara sugar on, nom nom!) but I'm not allowed to so presumably I wouldn't be able to eat Honey Bells (I nearly wrote Honey Boo Boo then! lol) either, so shall (probably luckily!) never get to find out if they're 'nasty or nice', though like Burlz I suspect the former! :thinking: :grin:

remember those ugli fruits? cross between an orange and a grapefruit. never see them these days.

Hadn 't thought through the grapefruit bit- I'm not supposed to have them either KWC but I like the idea of Honey Boo Boo except it would be cannibalism!

remember those ugli fruits? cross between an orange and a grapefruit. never see them these days.

Probably a reason for that Janie! :puke: Grapefruit is kinda a 'marmite' fruit I think, you either love it....or hate it! Blending it with something else still makes it half grapefruit tasting surely? LOL

Hadn 't thought through the grapefruit bit- I'm not supposed to have them either KWC but I like the idea of Honey Boo Boo except it would be cannibalism!

I did google it initially to see exactly why but it was clearly so relatively uninteresting I have forgotten it, so I just stick to 'No grapefruit. Grapefruit bad.' train of thought now....! :grin:

As for nomming on a Honey Boo Boo, that wouldn't work either, as not very PC to mention it but I also have to stick to a low fat diet.....! :mysmilie_465:

Being nosey but why are you not allowed to eat grapefruit,, the reason i ask is i was going through a period of eating them
every day (red grapefruit) instead of all the usual fruits and loving them. I then took an awful pain in my side and was off
work ill for 4 days, and we all put it down to the grapefruit, so was wondering if i'm allergic to it also :)

Being nosey but why are you not allowed to eat grapefruit,, the reason i ask is i was going through a period of eating them
every day (red grapefruit) instead of all the usual fruits and loving them. I then took an awful pain in my side and was off
work ill for 4 days, and we all put it down to the grapefruit, so was wondering if i'm allergic to it also :)

Grapefruit is contraindicative re. the medication I take for Raynauds & high blood pressure - I thought it was a bit odd so did google it initially & turns out it really isn't a good idea at all so simply avoid it completely now! :nod:

Think it's because of contra-indications with some prescription drugs, Barbs.

Sorry Kitten, just spotted your response.

SparklyBarbs - you may well be allergic to grapefruit, people can be allergic to virtually anything & grapefruit is a funny thing, I do have some weird recollection about not eating it to excess....though how many grapefruit would constitute an 'excess', I'm not sure....! LOL

I was eating it every day, and loving it with jelly, (red grapefruit) not so bitter. I then took an awful pain in
my side and was in agony, even ended up in hospital, tests were clear, so im a bit scared to eat it again,
just incase. Never knew that about blood pressure tablets, i am on them so must google that. Thanks
for replies :bow:

Remember the Grapefruit Diet?

The enzymes were supposed to eat your fat away from the insides.

Or was it Pineapple?

Or was it Pineapple?
It was the grapefruit diet, and funny enough i can't eat pineapple either, but red grapefruit isn't so bitter, its
actually very nice, but obviously nearly kills me (bit dramatic i know) LOL

Or was it Pineapple?

I have a very acidic stomach (hereditary) so have to be careful with grapefruit, pickled onions etc. - need cheese and crackers with my pickles if I indulge, and you're right BB if the acid level is too high and there isn't anything for it to work on it will start to work on the stomach lining, effectively digesting it.

The pain you experienced SparklyBarbs could be excess acid causing chronic indigestion - its painful, but if you are on BP meds I would check for contra indications. I'm not a GP lol...

Also applies to pineapple - vet prescribed pineapple juice for my rabbit when it had a blocked stomach!!! It worked

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back