high prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I know that Yong Kim and Join are highly prized by some, but watching Yong Kim today and the prices now being asked, are simply abortive. Very few items were under £125, and I balked at seeing a knitted tunic with assymetric hem for £148 !!!!!! If I had that money to spend on a long jumper, I would head for the nearest department store and have a good old root around for better choice. These prices are not unheard of on the Continent, where they are more discerning buyers, (and why they tend to look a lot more chic), and for for superior quality.

QVC know there are some people who would buy absolutely anything from them, anything, even though with just a couple of clicks of the keyboard (if they've got one) they will find what they're buying much cheaper anywhere else, but that's QVC and the pull they have over their die hard QVCers for you. This 30 day money back guarantee is old hat now as the majority of companies accept returns, but QVC charge their customers for the privilege, yes even the ones that never send anything back. But yes brissles I totally agree with you, QVC could charge £500 for the imaginary Young Dim and yep, the die hard QVCers would probably pay it.

I really would like to know who buys the shapeless designer Yong Kim and Join clothes, imo they get more expensive and less wearable everytime I see them. I didn't think that Katie (new presenter) looked that comfortable in her get up yesterday, but
the bag lady was in her element...:mysmilie_17:

My view is that many QVC customers are quite vulnerable or lonely. A friend of mine went through a divorce and the terminal cancer. As most of us were at work all day she saw Q as her friend. When she died there were literally dozens of QVC items not used and useless to her. She fell for the family line and spent thousands of pounds. God bless her died too young

I also think some people are addicted to the high a delivery gives them. Of course they`d deny being addicted but when they receive a parcel that high kicks in, gives them a buzz which is short lived and then they order something again and just to get the same feeling. I honestly think its subconscious in some people and they kid themselves that they actually need something and then wheel out the justifications for it such as I`m working I deserve it, I`ve been ill and it will cheer me up, I`ve had a tough week, my goldfish has just died and I`m upset etc etc etc.
I think its a phase most go through or have been through, some come out the other side wiser and kicking themselves, others just carry on regardless.

I must admit I was quite shocked as well as the prices. I mean seriously £150 for a top!! On a few occasions I've visited the outlets I've seen quite a few Yong Kim & Join pieces. I don't feel the material is anything special & a lot of them had small holes, which I guess is why they were returned, yet still Q were trying to flog them in the outlet for £40 or more. I was once at a car boot sale & a lady was selling quite a few Qvc brand clothes on a rail. There was a really nice Yong Kim dress but it was so bobbly it was really fit for the bin. You would think at these price points the material would not go bobbly. These prices are similar to high end high street stores such as Ted Baker, Reiss, Hobbs etc. Although that said I Don't think they sell tops at that price point. I quite like the style of some of the more basic pieces of Yong Kim but would never pay those prices.

My view is that many QVC customers are quite vulnerable or lonely. A friend of mine went through a divorce and the terminal cancer. As most of us were at work all day she saw Q as her friend. When she died there were literally dozens of QVC items not used and useless to her. She fell for the family line and spent thousands of pounds. God bless her died too young

I quite agree on this. A woman who delivered sterile supplies to us at work was always saying how she relied on parcels for something to look forward to . She lived alone and I don't think saw family much. It's sad and I am sure these companies must know they have these vulnerable customers.However,no one forces them to buy.
Very sorry about your friend.

I have said enough about Yong Kim in the past--it is just not my style but for some it suits.However the mark up on these pieces must be astronomical & I mean astronomical.No matter how much Ingrid Tarrant tries to justify the designer look, will wear forever etc etc it just does not add up.It is HYPE in the first degree.The fabric & detail in the garments are probably no more than half the retail price Q are selling them for.There are many designer brands that people aspire to the name but IMO Kong Kim is not one of them.If someone buys a piece & is genuinely happy with the price they have paid OK but how many think they have 'something special' & should like it?

I quite agree on this. A woman who delivered sterile supplies to us at work was always saying how she relied on parcels for something to look forward to . She lived alone and I don't think saw family much. It's sad and I am sure these companies must know they have these vulnerable customers.However,no one forces them to buy.
Very sorry about your friend.

I too can relate to this. I had surgery on my back just over 2 years ago & was housebound for 6 months. QVC did become my new best friend & I did buy quite a lot of stuff, purely out of boredom. I am able to get out a little bit more these days but not as often as I like. I rely a lot on internet shopping & still buy from QVC. Having the QVC channel on in the background is still something I do most days as its good to hear familiar voices. No one forced me too buy stuff, although I am a bit of a sucker for all their sales pitches & thinking that if its limited stock it must be such a bargain & I need to pick up my phone immediately & add one to the basket. Ha! I think I would have gone crazy without Q. How sad is that lol! It did help me through a difficult stage. I am still quite addicted but not just from Q, but any online shopping. I do look forward to the parcels arriving, but think its no different to the high you get when out shopping on the high street.

I watched a programme years ago about people in debt because of overspending. The presenter was Alvin...(can't remember his surname).
One woman had loads of Qvc items still in boxes, including lots of Tova perfumes.
Alvin asked her why she had bought so much of the same perfume, she said that Tova always said that men threw themselves at your feet when wearing it....seriously!!
He asked her if this had actually happened yet, and she just looked at him sheepishly.

Gullible? sad? easily conned? probably all those things, but up to her eyes in debt, and Q parcels, most certainly.

I watched a programme years ago about people in debt because of overspending. The presenter was Alvin...(can't remember his surname).
One woman had loads of Qvc items still in boxes, including lots of Tova perfumes.
Alvin asked her why she had bought so much of the same perfume, she said that Tova always said that men threw themselves at your feet when wearing it....seriously!!
He asked her if this had actually happened yet, and she just looked at him sheepishly.

Gullible? sad? easily conned? probably all those things, but up to her eyes in debt, and Q parcels, most certainly.

And their you have it, the reason QVC continue, their ability to take advantage of the vulnerable and the gullible in getting them drawn into the hype is remarkable, disgusting and underhand, but still remarkable.

And their you have it, the reason QVC continue, their ability to take advantage of the vulnerable and the gullible in getting them drawn into the hype is remarkable, disgusting and underhand, but still remarkable.

They are retailers, they sell stuff - people buy it.... what's the problem with that?

You never miss an opportunity to rave about Ideal World, how are they any better? They use exactly the same techniques to buddy up to the viewers. In fact, they're worse with some presenters like the ex-bid crew.

So let's not vilify QVC when all they are doing is offering stuff up for sale.

They are retailers, they sell stuff - people buy it.... what's the problem with that?

You never miss an opportunity to rave about Ideal World, how are they any better? They use exactly the same techniques to buddy up to the viewers. In fact, they're worse with some presenters like the ex-bid crew.

However just with people afflicted with a compulsion to gamble they eventually reach a point where it's no longer safe & fun , it becomes a burden on their existence.

Where monies are involved and company morals are remiss , ill advised purchases will occur and cause real problems at the end of the month

Essentially what i'm saying is if you happen upon ch.16 that's one thing but where teleshopping differs from high street is that the average person isn't going to fall for the markups which are levied on all goods sold thru the telly , however people who are infirm & older for example do get taken in by the spiel of these conglomerates...

i like the few bits of yong kim i have. but i buy them for tiny prices £20 for a top that i have had for 7 years at least a new dress for £40 that i wear at least one a week. its quite a vast range and i dont like all of of it but i enjoy the cheap bits i do have. would never pay full price or even half but thats just me

No I never miss an opportunity to rave about Ideal World, not that I need an opportunity because I can create my own :mysmilie_15: Thing is though, it was QVC who we were discussing at the time, and if Ideal World did the same I'd comment on them doing it as well because I'm not a hypocrite you see, if Ideal World used a weird type of bright light, an up light, way brighter than usual, like they did in the JM TSV, I would question what they had to hide, but then again, with free returns offered by Ideal World, the customer wouldn't be losing their return postage, so it really wouldn't be as bad, did I mention Ideal Worlds great products at great prices, fast delivery, fast refunds, oh and er........free returns :mysmilie_17:

Disclaimer.....I do not watch any Ex Bid presenter.

Last edited:
No I never miss an opportunity to rave about Ideal World, not that I need an opportunity because I can create my own :mysmilie_15: Thing is though, it was QVC who we were discussing at the time, and if Ideal World did the same I'd comment on them doing it as well because I'm not a hypocrite you see, if Ideal World used a weird type of bright light, an up light, way brighter than usual, like they did in the JM TSV, I would question what they had to hide, but then again, with free returns offered by Ideal World, the customer wouldn't be losing their return postage, so it really wouldn't be as bad, did I mention Ideal Worlds great products at great prices, fast delivery, fast refunds, oh and er........free returns :mysmilie_17:

Disclaimer.....I do not watch any Ex Bid presenter.

Reason for QVC getting so much stick, 1, ridiculous high prices for tat fashion. 2, misrepresentation of products and not giving the real information. 3, add ons to products such as tech products that are worthless but mean they can charge more. 4, arrogant presenters who think they know more than the brand reps. 5, and this is just me maybe, JF and SG. 6, the fact that most presenters say the LOVE every product and have everything which is just a blatant lie. 7, high price postage and a third class delivery service. 8, the time it takes for returns to be processed and refunds made..... I'm sure this list could be added too by others

Last edited:
Reason for QVC getting so much stick, 1, ridiculous high prices for tat fashion. 2, misrepresentation of products and not giving the real information. 3, add one to products such as tech products that are worthless but mean they can charge more. 4, arrogant presenters who think they know more than the brand reps. 5, and this is just me maybe, JF and SG. 6, the fact that most presenters say the LOVE every product and have everything which is just a blatant lie. 7, high price postage and a third class delivery service. 8, the time it takes for returns to be processed and refunds made..... I'm sure this list could be added too by others

Yes I agree, it's not even as though they reward their loyal customers by capping the p&p like Ideal World (oops! raving again) to sample the tat on offer. I don't get their archaic way of operating as a business because I don't know if they've changed this, but if ever anything was missing from a QVC item, you had to send the whole thing back, yet Ideal World will just send the missing part out to you, this isn't "raving" about IW, it's just stating a fact.

Ideal World have upped their game fashion wise and many of their garments are exactly like Join ,YK except the prices are much more reasonable . The fabrics appear to be the same too.I haven't bought any fashion from IW for years but I have noticed the similarities. If people want to pay a higher price then that's up to them. I do think YK in particular is cashing in on the " designer" aspect.

I think Q's business model was based on making a good chunk of their profits from ridiculous P&P charges - guessing they're moving away from that (and maybe finally listening to their customers) but as part of that transition, they're quietly upping their prices to cover what will be lost when they lower/change their P&P costs.

The new and revolutionary (ahem, 10 years too late) P&P pricing structure will then be introduced with great fanfare as to how they've listened to their customers and they've reduced P&P costs, blah blah blah...all the while, upping the prices of their goods on the sly by way more than they're reducing P&P costs.

Hasten to add this is pure speculation!

This thread has been very interesting. To the ladies who say they were at home and QVC became a friend! I hope you feel better and richer soon. To others who have pointed out the facts of high prices, P&P cost it's just the facts. Yes smelly telly use technically hypnotic style and really know how to sell. The more you listen the more you will be sucked in its what they are trained to do as presenters. Training courses give them the phrases and sales targets are set. You would never be in a shop for hours listening to a sales assistant for hours. It's almost like brain washing. Yes those lonely or unhappy will be tricked and QVC know what they are doing.

Latest posts

Back