Hi guys

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've just had a quick look at the catalogue for tomorrow and there are 10 items listed for each hour :jump:

I'm not surprised - sensible business decision - because the catalogue items are going for higher prices than the items that we see 'fresh to air'

I suppose it's because people see something and have all day to really set their minds on it - then bid more when it comes to auction (or put a high auto-bid in)

Hopefully though, more catalogue items per hour will mean that the auctions speed up a bit ( might make it a bit easier for the auctioneers as well - they do a brilliant job but there's only so much you can say about each piece of jewellery!)

Great idea for all the reasons Jantac says and also because I have bought an item, say in an early auction, and then something similar that I prefer has come up later - now we can see more items that will be auctioned and will be better able to make an informed choice.

Great idea for Rocks and us! :biggrin

ANOTHER lovely piece of bling for Daz :dance:

Attachments

• EM814.jpg
    EM814.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 110
I've just had a quick look at the catalogue for tomorrow and there are 10 items listed for each hour :jump:

Night everyone - I'm off to bed :zzz:

I'm not surprised - sensible business decision - because the catalogue items are going for higher prices than the items that we see 'fresh to air'

I suppose it's because people see something and have all day to really set their minds on it - then bid more when it comes to auction (or put a high auto-bid in)

Hopefully though, more catalogue items per hour will mean that the auctions speed up a bit ( might make it a bit easier for the auctioneers as well - they do a brilliant job but there's only so much you can say about each piece of jewellery!)

Great idea for all the reasons Jantac says and also because I have bought an item, say in an early auction, and then something similar that I prefer has come up later - now we can see more items that will be auctioned and will be better able to make an informed choice.

Great idea for Rocks and us! :biggrin

I guess I'm alone in not liking the new format with so many auctions advertised in advance. I guess that it probably does make financial sense for Rocks to maximise pre-bidding, good for them, less good for us bargain hunters I fear! Not that I begrudge them, I'd love to see them make a nice profit (on everything I don't want anyway hahahaha).
But I really miss the option of getting what I've requested up because there's no time - and knowing in advance that none of the auctions are things I want to buy actually stopped me bothering to watch last night. I liked the element of surprise before.
And I think the whole lack of time for requests might well stop me bidding on smaller pieces in future - I have previously thought "oh, I'll buy that £5 ring for a look, then request three of the items from my wishlist over the weekend to ensure that I get something I want out of my single postage". Now, I'd probably leave the ring as I'd not want to risk having to pay more in postage, then possibly the same again to return it!

I guess I'm alone in not liking the new format with so many auctions advertised in advance. I guess that it probably does make financial sense for Rocks to maximise pre-bidding, good for them, less good for us bargain hunters I fear! Not that I begrudge them, I'd love to see them make a nice profit (on everything I don't want anyway hahahaha).
But I really miss the option of getting what I've requested up because there's no time - and knowing in advance that none of the auctions are things I want to buy actually stopped me bothering to watch last night. I liked the element of surprise before.

And I think the whole lack of time for requests might well stop me bidding on smaller pieces in future - I have previously thought "oh, I'll buy that £5 ring for a look, then request three of the items from my wishlist over the weekend to ensure that I get something I want out of my single postage". Now, I'd probably leave the ring as I'd not want to risk having to pay more in postage, then possibly the same again to return it!

I completely agree with you Anne. I haven't watched at all tonight for the same reasons.

am not worried either way. I still find it enjoyable to dabble in the odd bid and hang out in chat.
things can get frenetic when frequent requests come up in chat, but also quite a few of the items which are scheduled have been requested by viewers earlier for a time when said viewer is likely to be watching. requesting via help line helps the backroom crew get stuff ready for us ahead of time as it's not all available from the vault in the evenings. not to mention the 1,001 things that are going on behind the scenes during transmission.

Last edited:

I have an example of this tonight. My first purchase from rocks was the amethyst solitaire in 9ct yellow gold that was in the catologue today and went for £56 (I think) tonight. I got it for £16 two weeks ago!

As has been said, good business manoevre for Rocks.tv. They are working hard and can't keep operating the way they have been up until now. (Sadly for us bargainhunters ;)...)

For me it's not the higher prices ... we all knew we were getting cracking, never to be repeated bargains at the beginning and would inevitably have to pay more as word spread.

But what I really liked when Rocks first started was not knowing all the items that were going to come under the hammer .. the thought that Steve might delve in his drawers and select something I just had to have kept me watching from 5.00 -11.00 every night.

10 pre-selected items being auctioned every hour leaves little time for specific requests ... no bad thing in my opinion because it was getting a bit out of hand, but it also prevents the presenter being able to respond to more general requests or auction items that haven't been scheduled for that particular hour.

Please don't get me wrong I love the auction format .. an absolutely genius of an idea from Steve and co. The CS is second to none. The chatroom is great fun except when it gets a little heated. I appreciate time is money but I just don't want to know all (or 99%) of the items beforehand, I need that element of surprise to keep me watching .... and bidding.

Last edited:
I am only dipping in and out now, since I have completely skinted myself for the forseeable future! I also have a life to lead, in amongst. I do like to have a browse of the catalogue though, and if it contained something I was interested in, I might be tempted to watch it live and/or bid. Steve & Co know we will always be back, as long as our experience of shopping with them has been good.

It was inevitable that the pace would increase to keep up with the growing number of new viewers, so the opportunity to browse all day is a cute business move. The prices were always going to go up too, but there still seem to be amazing bargains to be had - a Kama bracelet went for £18 last night, I paid £27 for mine. Not that I am grumbling, I've had some cracking bargains myself when I've just happened to be paying attention at the right moment ;)

I imagine there will be loads of new designs and products aired in the coming months, (great, because I love Sarah's designs) and there will likely be more changes to the systems as the company flourishes (please God). The run up to Christmas will be interesting. There is loads of competition out there for this very lucrative market; The Jewellery Channel appears to have polished up it's act, Rocks & Co about to launch etc. Watch this space, as they say...

I think it's probably been a bit of a learning curve for them, and I must say, they've really adapted quickly. We all knew the ridiculous prices couldn't last forever, so those of us that have grabbed some may buy less in future. There seems to have been a lot of new buyers this last week, and the prices have reflected that. I think we have a tendancy to forget the their prices are still cheap compared to the high street - we're all too used to getting bargains!!!! Still, we can live in hope for a quiet evening bidding wise!!!
:doggie:

am not worried either way. I still find it enjoyable to dabble in the odd bid and hang out in chat.
things can get frenetic when frequent requests come up in chat, but also quite a few of the items which are scheduled have been requested by viewers earlier for a time when said viewer is likely to be watching. requesting via help line helps the backroom crew get stuff ready for us ahead of time as it's not all available from the vault in the evenings. not to mention the 1,001 things that are going on behind the scenes during transmission.

On tuesday evening I asked, not in chat, if a pair of earrings & a pendant could be auctioned. I was told they would be put in the auction within the next couple of days, I am still waiting.

Annoying me a little that people in chat ask over & over (and in capitals if they feel they're being ignored) for items & they're put in almost straight away. I've then witnessed people complain when it's not the right piece. Once that piece has finished they're then asking for something else.

I don't often see something I would like to try to buy & there must be others like me as the items I do like seem to be quite popular, possibly due to their rarity & often go above the budget I've set myself :( yet I often see other items in the same design or colour on two or three nights in a row.

Although I do have some I'm not that keen on Marcasite or brown/yellow gems, I don't wear yellow gold and rings are out as I have fingers at the bog roll end of the scale :D

The items I have received I have been great, I would just like more opportunities to buy!

If you're watching Rocks my favourite range is Tookalon! :D

Hi Daz, how you doing? been bling buying?

I haven't been on rocks tonight, cos I get too tempted lol I have a wishlist though and if any of those ever come up then i'm having them lol (those and lots of Kama charms lol) have you seen the kama charms? oh I have a wishlist as long as me arm of those hehehehe

Latest posts

Back