Has The Beauty Industry Gone Too Far ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't use any of the really expensive products as there's no way I could afford it. However, I have used retinol based creams, at night only, for a few years now & they definitely work. They smooth out your skin, making your pores look smaller & your skin generally better, though lines don't disappear. I started with ROC, then progressed to Skin Doctors Retanew which is a bit stronger & they only recommend that you use it every other day. I'm currently on a Vichy night one from Ebay & that one is great too. The downside is you MUST use SPF as the retinol makes your skin sensitive to the sun & you can look shiny in some photo's, even with powder.:up:

I use Liz Earle to cleanse my face and ultrasun to moisturise and protect.
.QVC did introduce me to Liz Earle (although I don't regularly many of her other products) and it works for me,due to my high sensitive,high colour roscea skin.

My GP recommended Ultrasun to me,so I was thrilled when it came to QVc and I use it everyday,without fail.

I'm happy with what I use and I think it works.However at 37,that statement probably could only be tested in another ten years time.

I think the beauty industry is always striving for better and the next "big" thing.I'm not into gadgets at all - but it reminds me of the gadget industry - always waiting to release the next generation (whats wrong with the one you made last time??!!!)

I've never been able to afford "luxury" or "high end" skincare - so I don't really know where I sit,with the industry? If I had the money,maybe I'd give it all a go? I really don't know?

My grandmother is 90 yrs of age.Has amazing,beautiful soft skin on her face.Yes,its wrinkled - but at 90,I should think so!!! Maybe she/I just have good genes? Doesn't that account for a lot - after all we're all made up of genes?

That said my MIL has not aged well - yet her daughter (my SIL) has very good skin - and she can afford very good skincare? An argument for both sides really?

These companies are treading a very fine line. They claim to moisturise deeply into the lower dermis layers of your skin. This is where they should be more careful with their claims. If a product is designed to get to the lower dermis, it becomes a medicine and a medicine must licensed. I am sure we all know how expensive that would be but funnily enough, I never hear any sales reps / beauticians admitting to this fact. The whole thing has got way out of hand and sooner or later somebody will be challenged, could shake some sense into these people!

Inge

I find the whole 'luxury' side of the cosmetic industry ridiculous.
gold, platinum,caviar, rare lotus seeds.seaweed thats had music played to it, not to mention the martian rust. I mean where's the evidence that any of this has any benefits whatsoever for skin. Just because its rare and expensive doesn't mean its automatically good.(who knows how much of the actual 'rare' imgredients they even put in the product anyway)

Been using alpha H for about a month now after looking into the research on glycolic acids and its benefits, and my skin looks a lot better, smoother,more even toned, even got asked what foundation I was wearing in work the other day and I had none on at all.
This is the first skin product range that has actually made a visible difference to my skin that I can see, rather than just being a nice moisturiser.

Not QVC but last night I caught a bit of IW and Linda Lusandi(sp) and her skincare range. Oh its made with ededwiss(sp),swiss mountain water,caviar etc,etc. Then she did the oldie but goldie which shows she knows bog all about skincare. This will help closes your pores :giggle: This statement was so big in the 70s and 80s. Trouble is if you closed your pores you would be dead! Yes because your skin breaths through your pores. Remember the old James Bond movie Goldfinger? The girl painted head to toe in gold paint. She died because her skin could not breath.

I've only heard/read on bottles that they claim to hydrate the UPPER layers of the epidermis. There is usually an * after the word 'moisturise' which says 'upper layers of the epidermis'. Which brands claim to go deeper?

Not QVC but last night I caught a bit of IW and Linda Lusandi(sp) and her skincare range. Oh its made with ededwiss(sp),swiss mountain water,caviar etc,etc. Then she did the oldie but goldie which shows she knows bog all about skincare. This will help closes your pores :giggle: This statement was so big in the 70s and 80s. Trouble is if you closed your pores you would be dead! Yes because your skin breaths through your pores. Remember the old James Bond movie Goldfinger? The girl painted head to toe in gold paint. She died because her skin could not breath.

I read an interview with Eve Lom where she said any therapist who tells you a toner will close your pores is not worth the paper her qualification is written on. But on Eve Lom's cleanser, it says you should splash cold water on your face to 'close the pores'! I know Space NK owns the brand now but surely they need to get rid of that?

Latest posts

Back