GTECH - any opinions?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought the Twister a few days ago. £20 thereabouts including postage. I am very pleased with it especially for stairs. The handle is fragile as alot of the reviewers have pointed out but I am quite careful with things. I like the fact that I can take the battery off and just charge it on its own. Also it can hang from the back of a door.

I've bought a second one for my parents from ebay which looks like being a QVC return. Waiting for it to arrive.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.831527.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

I am tempted by this (despite trying to give up QVC) because I actually need it, if it is as good as the demo.

I tried to price compare on-line, but couldn't do so without the model number (there are loads of different ones).

Rang CS, it is an SW23, but google doesn't find this one anywhere.

The nearest seems to be SW20, which seems to be more expensive than the TSV, but it has a bigger battery (7.2V not 6V for the TSV) so should be more powerful and last longer.

I love my Gtech as much as you love your Easiyo !!! My OH is very fussy, not to mention heavy-handed, but thinks it is a marvellous machine. He even has been heard talking to it......along the lines of 'Common, let's give you your daily exercise and feed'. Men in white coats may be on their way......

PS - Loving the Easiyo - am now addicted I think. Just put in an apple & blackberry one that came today and after that am going to use your method to do another mango.

Last edited:
Good little machine

I have the blue GTech that was a TSV poss a year or so back now and it is great. Use it constantly. Mine only has the 1 speed and a headlight.

maybe i should give this one a try?? am really trying to be good and haven't watched any presentations yet................but it was so useful when it worked! my OH thinks i killed it from over use last time! god i am so weak............

Love my GTech - bought it when it was quite cheap but don't know the model. The dog thinks it's the enemy and dances around it barking like a mad thing, but then it is rather marvellous at sucking up the bits and pieces of paper and plastic she rips daily.

I bought a GTech when my swivel sweeper handle broke and I could'nt find a replacement so I thought I'd try it but compared to the swivel sweeper it was pants I eventually found another swivel sweeper and use it every day the GTech is in the back of the cupboard I'm wondering if there's a difference in the models as some of you think there great and others like me found them pretty useless

Mine arrived by a Hermes courier this morning.

I haven't been able to try it yet as it will need a 16 hour full charge, so will report again about this.

But I have to say it looks like a quality product. It was made in PRC, whatever that means (I guess "People's Republic of China" but most Chinese items just say "Made in China", even my ipod).

The handle is in 3 sections, made of metal with plastic clips, which click together securely. There is also a plastic hand-grip that fits on the top, and a small handle attached to the sweeper for use on stairs. The long handle clips onto this.

The utility room where I was going to keep it plugged in has the power sockets 3ft 6inches above the floor, and the mains cord for the charger is about a foot short to use these sockets, so I will have to find somewhere else to keep it, a bit of a disappointment as the utility room would have been the ideal place. Otherwise, I could get a short extension lead, I suppose.

I also thought it had a swivel handle, which I really like, but it doesn't, just a back and forth type of handle.

BYW I couldn't find the charger at first, and was on the verge of phoning QVC when I found it. It was inside the rubbish compartment!

Last edited:
I've since discovered that it does have a swivel handle.

It is supposed to be charged initially for 16 hours, yet the charging light changed from red to green in about an hour, indicating it was fully charged! However, I'll keep it on charge as I want to get the best life out of the battery.

Here is part of a review which says the same as I did above - - -

"However the reason I have given it 4 stars is because the cable for the docking station is too short. My plug sockets are 100 cm above the floor which means I can't recharge without standing the sweeper on something.

This is ideal for people with disabilities because it is lightweight, but the reason electrical sockets are raised these days is to help people with disabilities!"

Someone gave it 1 star and said the handle keeps coming apart, I don't think they have assembled it right.

Last edited:
No I didn't but I've been thinking about you Stratobuddy, don't forget to charge it fully and then use all the power up and then fully charge again each time as best you can. Sometimes I let mine run down till nearly stop by turning it upside down while it's on and leaving it for a while. Also, don't exceed the charge time as this will affect the battery in the long run. I'm all for maximising the use and it really is a great little device. Enjoy!!

I haven't been able to try it yet as it will need a 16 hour full charge, so will report again about this.

Can I ask how you know it will need a 16 hour full charge before first use? There's nothing in the destructions to advise you to do this, and I didn't hear it recommended on the presentation I watched (although I know QVC are ones for mentioning *the* key bit of info on only one out of the ten or so presentations, then wondering why we don't all know about it :dull:).

Mine seemed to have a bit of power in it when it arrived yesterday but we put it straight on to to charge anyway and when the light went green we gave it a go. The performance was fine but I wouldn't say it lasted the full 45 mins. I thought the days of having to charge new electrical appliances for days before you first used them (even if they flashed to say they were fully charged after a short time) were gone, but perhaps I'm wrong? I know this one has is supposed to have a safety cut-out to prevent it being over-charged so that is can remain in the charging dock when not being used, and the destructions do state it should always be switched off if the battery has been emptied as deep discharge can damage it...

I think I assumed it would need a 16 hour initial charge as all my other rechargeable gadgets needed this.

I let my vinyl kitchen floor get a bit dusty so I could try it out when it arrived!

I had to keep emptying it, because as soon as there was a bit of dust in the pan it started to blow back out again with the spinning brush acting like a fan. They ALWAYS demontrate it with hard items like glass, drawing pins, etc, which would not have this problem, but dust is what it will encounter most of the time.

It is good to just put it back onto the charger after use, with no wires to plug into it. I've found a suitable cardboard box to stand it on in the utility room so that the plug reaches the socket.

I haven't yet used it long enough to discharge it.

It uses NiMH batteries, which should NOT need fully discharging like the previous type of NiCd rechargeable batteries. In fact I believe it is better not to fully discharge NiMH batteries. They can be overcharged, so I am hoping that the charger really does cut out when they are fully charged, although I will probably not keep mine switched on 24/7.

Last edited:
I think I assumed it would need a 16 hour initial charge as all my other rechargeable gadgets needed this.

I let my vinyl kitchen floor get a bit dusty so I could try it out when it arrived!

I had to keep emptying it, because as soon as there was a bit of dust in the pan it started to blow back out again with the spinning brush acting like a fan. They ALWAYS demontrate it with hard items like glass, drawing pins, etc, which would not have this problem, but dust is what it will encounter most of the time.

It is good to just put it back onto the charger after use, with no wires to plug into it. I've found a suitable cardboard box to stand it on in the utility room so that the plug reaches the socket.

I haven't yet used it long enough to discharge it.

It uses NiMH batteries, which should NOT need fully discharging like the previous type of NiCd rechargeable batteries. In fact I believe it is better not to fully discharge NiMH batteries. They can be overcharged, so I am hoping that the charger really does cut out when they are fully charged, although I will probably not keep mine switched on 24/7.

Exactly Stratobuddy. This spitting out business is the problem I had especially with dust bunnies on hard floors, it drove me nuts in the end and I just don't use it anymore. It wouldn't have been so bad if the bliddy tray had been full and needed emptying but no, as you say as soon as there is the slightest bit of dust there anything else just spins round the brush and back out.

Thanks for this :up:. I don't really have anywhere to keep mine permanently charging, but if I forget to charge it and come to use it and find it's run out of battery I'll just drag the Dyson out! Mind you I have been surprised at just how much dust the Gtech's picked up that my Dyson evidently leaves behind :confused:

I must say that I am finding it very useful and using it much more frequently than I envisaged eg for grit on internal doormat brought in on shoes, dead leaves blown in when door is opened, etc.

Latest posts

Back