Gifts for the Gourmet TSV 25/10/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

More tacky Christmas rubbish. Supercoolwillow, you need to filter out the tat when promoting items....

Nooooo! This is how I start my day with a laugh Keep it coming SCW it's like my morning happy pill with my Tea and Rice Krispies.

:Wink:

:mysmilie_844:

I am really picky when buying tins, if these arrived dented I'd be irritated at having to send them back. I'd rather stand inspecting the ones I wanted and have a separate shopping basket to put them in. OCD! Me? :mysmilie_50:

Oh now come on, QVC have also provided us with some reuse info. You can put your make up in the after use, store you Nick nacks, this must be a new range that the Qmust be bringing out. And also, you can put more biscuits in then so you see, plenty of useful ideas to use the tins for after they are empty. Or better still, you can but two tins of very decent biscuits in very attractive tins from M&S for half the price and stuff QVC and stuff QVC and crap tat they sell and save yourself a tenner. Now what should I do??

No mention of keeping buttons in them. We loved our button boxes as kids, filled with gorg Art Deco, bone, shell, diamanté, plastic, leather, cloth and animal shapes. Happy days.

I am really picky when buying tins, if these arrived dented I'd be irritated at having to send them back. I'd rather stand inspecting the ones I wanted and have a separate shopping basket to put them in. OCD! Me? :mysmilie_50:

:mysmilie_17: me too! I've been known to stand there for over twenty five minutes choosing between two identical books to scrutinise them, looking to see which one is the most perfect, no ripped pages, no bend backs of the cover, no scratches on the sleeve, so no I'm totally with you I do exactly the same regardless of price. It's your money so why shouldn't you check to get one that's perfect (my excuse and I'm sticking to it :mysmilie_17:)

:mysmilie_17: me too! I've been known to stand there for over twenty five minutes choosing between two identical books to scrutinise them, looking to see which one is the most perfect, no ripped pages, no bend backs of the cover, no scratches on the sleeve, so no I'm totally with you I do exactly the same regardless of price. It's your money so why shouldn't you check to get one that's perfect (my excuse and I'm sticking to it :mysmilie_17:)

I am the same, especially with books. Why should you buy one, especially a hardback, when the dust cover is damaged and torn. I wouldn't trust these tins to come without scratches or dents. A few years ago Yankee Candles did a TSV which was votives in a little house. One of the boxes came torn and it had to be sent back as it was for a gift. I was not happy.

I really can't believe some of this 'gourmet 'stuff they are flogging and suggesting we 'gift' to people. Who on earth would like a small bag of sodding popcorn as a present? I love watching these shows for the laugh just to hear all the garbage flow out of the presenters mouths.

I am the same, especially with books. Why should you buy one, especially a hardback, when the dust cover is damaged and torn. I wouldn't trust these tins to come without scratches or dents. A few years ago Yankee Candles did a TSV which was votives in a little house. One of the boxes came torn and it had to be sent back as it was for a gift. I was not happy.

I really can't believe some of this 'gourmet 'stuff they are flogging and suggesting we 'gift' to people. Who on earth would like a small bag of sodding popcorn as a present? I love watching these shows for the laugh just to hear all the garbage flow out of the presenters mouths.

I couldn't agree more, you're right, why should you pay for a damaged book, as for QVC I feel they've crossed the line now were they're utterly totally out of touch, verging on hilarity. They think they're a high end shopping channel, they're not, they're just an expensive shopping channel, there's a difference.

When my Mum passed away 27 years ago and my Dad moved to live with my brother, I emptied the house for him and I must have found 2 dozen tins which held a variety of "stuff". She had biscuits tins, Quality Street tins, boiled sweet tins etc and she also had lots of the old fashioned chocolate boxes which had pictures of flowers and ribbons across the front.
There were buttons in a tin, needles, thread and sewing stuff in a tin, shoe polish and brushes in a tin, first aid stuff in a tin, medicines in a tin, curtain hooks, chair castors and batteries in a tin, photos in chocolate boxes, documents in chocolate boxes, our old school reports, swimming certificates and Brownie awards in chocolate boxes and so on and so on. The tins and chocolate boxes were endless.
The only things I never found in tins were biscuits or foodstuffs, she kept all of those in Tupperware lol !

I helped a friend clear out her late grandma's flat and there were plenty of tins including 2 Old Holborn baccy tins (from her late husband who'd died 24 years earlier) with contents and labels which read " Aspirins probably" (would you risk taking them?) and another marked "string to short to be useful"!

My dad was from the same generation - he kept all manner of stuff in his garage "that might come in". When he died in 1990 there were boxes and boxes of radio valves - he likes to tinker with any old wireless that anyone else would throw away. God love, em!

When I was a child a big tin of biscuits or sweets was an appreciated gift, but the best bit for my Mum seemed always to be the tin which was used for storage. And often you would aske her where is X and the answer would be in the tin! I have always kept tins but not these days. I do have my button tin and a sewing tin, but when I had my kitchen done I just had to get rid of the empty biscuit and QS tins which were taking up too much storage space!

My general stuff, like string, went into smaller Tupperware boxes, easíer to fit in.

I helped a friend clear out her late grandma's flat and there were plenty of tins including 2 Old Holborn baccy tins (from her late husband who'd died 24 years earlier) with contents and labels which read " Aspirins probably" (would you risk taking them?) and another marked "string to short to be useful"!

My dad was from the same generation - he kept all manner of stuff in his garage "that might come in". When he died in 1990 there were boxes and boxes of radio valves - he likes to tinker with any old wireless that anyone else would throw away. God love, em!

I am a lot like that, I collect brewenaria and have 30 or 40 large tins full of stuff and I can tell what is in each one... I am always thankful when we buy a tin of biscuits or tin of sweets as it adds another tin to my collection...

Phew! Glad you clarified this! :mysmilie_17:
I've seen these on the channel before, you're basically paying way over the odds for the tin because all you're getting is bland shortcake biscuit and nuts.......ginger that is.

Ps. Mcvities do a lovely big Christmas theme tin with lovely choccy biscuits for under a fiver.

Costco's have some great prices on their biscuit tins. My avatar shows a mask (I make them), so was delighted to see fudge tins decorated with a Venetian mask - I bought loads to give as gifts.

Latest posts

Back