Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ll always remember an interview that Steve Bennett did where he stated quite clearly that it’s not about the actual value of the gems, they’re sold on Potential value which could be anything you say it might be.Perfect get out clause.Very very murky shady practices tbf.

Yep, exactly. But they never talk about potential value crashing should a new discovery of a stone lead to its loss in value later down the line.

Remember when Alexandrite was only thought to be in existance in Russia - so the price SPIRALLED - only for it to then be found in India AND Madagascar years later resulting in Alexandrite not being so rare after all, and its actual value being lower than originally anticipated.

Remember when Grandidierite was the 5th rarest gemstone in the world - and obtaining it was hard and its price was high? Then a new discovery was found in Madagascar - resulting in it being sold for as little as £10 per carat because the market became flooded with it from around 2017 onwards.

Then there's all the hype around Tanzanite (a stone that they keep telling us will be unobtainable in the near future - despite evidence being available that suggests that, if they mine at their current rate, there will be around another 40 years of being able to mine for Tanzanite before the mines are empty).

Not only that, Tanzanite is a blue variety of Zoisite. Whilst Tanzanite can be found in only one location, Zoisite is found in other locations. Personally, and this is only my gut instinct and opinion, I feel that one day, in one of the other Zoisite locations, they may find a blue variety of Zoisite (therefore, Tanzanite) there too. If that happens, it will instantly cause a crash in value - so those that have bought 'investment pieces' will be in for disappointment.

And nobody can predict "that will never happen". Remember when Gem experts said they said "there's no such thing as Blue Garnet" - then, BOOM, Blue Garnet was discovered in 1998!

Gemporia keep telling us that Ametrine is a one-location gemstone (Anahi, Bolivia) - but it's also been discovered in Brazil. They've even SOLD Brazilian Ametrine - yet they still tell us its only available from one mine in Bolivia! *facepalm*

And here we go again with the hype for another tourmaline, indicolite this time. The same speil as ever and non stop talking from Toby. He could do this in his sleep he’s that slick by now after years of practice. I find him incredibly insincere.It’s ALL hard sell and hyperbole.And after all the hot air they look exactly like the last lot.

And the worst part about that is, Toby is actually the best out of the three amigos (Jake 'shirtbuster' Thompson, Jade 'monotone' Troth and Toby Cavill).

Yep, exactly. But they never talk about potential value crashing should a new discovery of a stone lead to its loss in value later down the line.

Remember when Alexandrite was only thought to be in existance in Russia - so the price SPIRALLED - only for it to then be found in India AND Madagascar years later resulting in Alexandrite not being so rare after all, and its actual value being lower than originally anticipated.

Remember when Grandidierite was the 5th rarest gemstone in the world - and obtaining it was hard and its price was high? Then a new discovery was found in Madagascar - resulting in it being sold for as little as £10 per carat because the market became flooded with it from around 2017 onwards.

Then there's all the hype around Tanzanite (a stone that they keep telling us will be unobtainable in the near future - despite evidence being available that suggests that, if they mine at their current rate, there will be around another 40 years of being able to mine for Tanzanite before the mines are empty).

Not only that, Tanzanite is a blue variety of Zoisite. Whilst Tanzanite can be found in only one location, Zoisite is found in other locations. Personally, and this is only my gut instinct and opinion, I feel that one day, in one of the other Zoisite locations, they may find a blue variety of Zoisite (therefore, Tanzanite) there too. If that happens, it will instantly cause a crash in value - so those that have bought 'investment pieces' will be in for disappointment.

And nobody can predict "that will never happen". Remember when Gem experts said they said "there's no such thing as Blue Garnet" - then, BOOM, Blue Garnet was discovered in 1998!

Gemporia keep telling us that Ametrine is a one-location gemstone (Anahi, Bolivia) - but it's also been discovered in Brazil. They've even SOLD Brazilian Ametrine - yet they still tell us its only available from one mine in Bolivia! *facepalm*
Tanzanite isn't pulled from the ground blue, it's brown until heated.
Very clever tactics to sell it as if it came out the ground that colour. The cut also comes into play.

Tanzanite isn't pulled from the ground blue, it's brown until heated.
Very clever tactics to sell it as if it came out the ground that colour. The cut also comes into play.
It can come out of the ground blue, but but it's very pleochroic so I tends to show secondary greens and purples rather than a pure blue. That stuff was closer to the top of the mine though and now they're digging deeper, you're correct, most of the material is more brown in colour.

Natural unheated pleochroic blue Tanzanite looks gorgeous. I know someone that has an amazing piece in the rough - and it's stunning.

The way they’re talking about pearls you’d think that the entire pearl industry has closed or something.I notice that their pearl prices have risen hugely.Can’t quite believe that people have paid £600 for some cultured pearls, smallish ones at that.
I've just seen the very pearls you're talking about and can't believe it. I've had to look twice convinced that the pricing was wrong - and they're bleached as well - totally gobsmacked.
Akoya Freshwater Cultured Pearl & White Topaz Sterling Silver Bracelet (4mm)
£699 4mm pearls, white topaz and silver clasp. Necklace to match £799!

Latest posts

Back