Gatineau Floracil - is there an worthy alternative?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

reflexgirl

Registered Shopper
I have used Gatineau Floracil for many years and like it very much.

However, at nearly £30 including P&P now it has become a ridiculous price for an eye makeup remover imo.

Equally, I am loathed to just go out and buy any old one from the high street and waste money if it turns out to be horrid.

So before I order another floracil (through gritted teetch!) I wondered if any of you lovely forumites have come across a good aternative which is not oily and doesnt irritate the eyes?

I use good old Simple eye makeup remover and have never had a problem with it.

Hi reflexgirl

There's a couple I'd recommend, both are a bargainous £1.99 for 200ml.

The most effective budget one I've found is Garnier's 2 in 1 bi-phase remover (it's the same formulation as L'oreal's but for under half the price).
It doesn't disturb my contact lenses and removes bullet proof make up.

However, as you like Floracil and prefer a non-oily remover then I'd recommend Waitrose's Pure gentle eye make up remover (obviously this depends on you shopping at Waitrose or Ocado online). It's the same watery texture and feel as Floracil and doesn't sting at all, it is very soothing on the eyes. However I find it doesn't work quite so well on bullet proof mascara as bi-phase removers, so it all depends on what type of eye make up you wear :)

Last edited:
A couple I've particularly loved have been micellar solutions. One a fancy one that I was given and another a fairly inexpensive L'Oreal one (I think it was two large bottles for £2.50 on a special deal!). They are equally effective. You soak a cotton pad, hold it to your eye makeup for a few seconds and the whole lot pretty much wipes away in a couple of swipes. Amazing stuff that has, apparently, been very popular with French women for many years and is only now beginning to catch on here. I have sensitive eyes, struggle with many brands' eye makeup removers (not least Gatineau's) and have no problem whatsoever with this one. Here is a link (price has gone up a tad now) http://www.superdrug.com/loreal/loreal-skin-perfection-3-in-1-micellar-solution-200ml/invt/639956

Another vote for the Simple and Bioderma here. You can use the latter all over the face and neck too. I sometimes use it as an actual cleanser as well as for make-up removal if my skin's particularly volatile/having an allergic reaction to something. I wouldn't recommend cleansing with it all the time, but for a few days during a flare-up it's helpful because it's gentler than using a wash-off cleanser or cleansing milk.

I used Floracil in a Gatineau kit ages ago but can't say that I was very impressed with it and never bought a larger size. I've been using Nivea Visage extra gentle eye make up remover ever since, 125 mls for £3.49 in Boots and at the moment on an offer of buy one get one half price.I have quite sensitive eyes and it removes any mascara easily. There seems to be lots out there to try for a fraction of Gatineau prices.

I have used Gatineau Floracil for many years and like it very much.

However, at nearly £30 including P&P now it has become a ridiculous price for an eye makeup remover imo.

Equally, I am loathed to just go out and buy any old one from the high street and waste money if it turns out to be horrid.

So before I order another floracil (through gritted teetch!) I wondered if any of you lovely forumites have come across a good aternative which is not oily and doesnt irritate the eyes?

There's a 400ml Floracil on eBay for £18.15 at the moment, with free P&P. That's a lot cheaper than the 400ml on QVC with the P&P added on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_s...neau+floracil&_nkwusc=gaineau+floracil&_rdc=1

Thanks to all you lovely ladies for taking the time to reply. I am definately going to give one of the less expensive ones you have recommended a try!

Come on lets tell the truth! Floracil is over hyped and is total crap at actually removing mascara. You watch the demo, black comes off on the pads they use but no smearing around the eyes as you would expect, and the model still has loads of mascara on afterwards. I do not wear waterproof mascara, yet Floracil does not remove my mascara!

Boots No7 own brand is good for those that like the two in one thing. The price has gone up though now £8.

Simple on 3 for 2 usually at £3.25 in Boots, or Sainsburys had they at £2 each for 125mls. Think how many bottles of a product that works you could buy with your £17,£18 or £19?

Come on lets tell the truth! Floracil is over hyped and is total crap at actually removing mascara. You watch the demo, black comes off on the pads they use but no smearing around the eyes as you would expect, and the model still has loads of mascara on afterwards. I do not wear waterproof mascara, yet Floracil does not remove my mascara!

completely agree - I got taken in by the hype - it didn't work, so ended up tipping it down the toilet

I am still using up some ancient stock of Avon remover and it seems to work perfectly well. I do like to use Floracil as an eye compress when I do a mask but Liz Earle Eyebright is good for that too. Very useful to see the range of good but cheap makes recommended on here! I like simple, I use their toner when I run out of the dear stuff as it seems to go a lot quicker than my cleanser.

Gone are the days when high street brands were limited to Nivea, Astral, Ponds or Oil of Ulay or a bar of soap. Nowadays I think so many of them are as good, sometimes better than the supposed high end brands and usually at a fraction of the cost. I think the more expensive brands are beginning to suffer as people become more savvy and refuse to swallow the hype and are prepared to try items from Boots, Superdrug, supermarkets, Marks and many many online retailers. The World is a big oyster when it comes to cosmetics and skincare and so many brands have left Q they now seem to rely on just a handful of old faithfuls. A sign of the times I suppose.

Superdrug do a Micellar Water in their own B range. I like oily removers rather than watery ones, so I haven't tried it myself - but the best thing with Superdrug's own is that they're certified by CFI so no testing on felines (or any other animals)!

Latest posts

Back