Garment steamer - waste of money

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bensmum

Registered Shopper
Today's TSV the Tobi garment steamer looks like a complete waste of money. What's wrong with an iron which you can put away in a cupboard when you've finished. Jilly H said you need to keep it out in the kitchen all the time then it's
ready for use.

Oh yes fab, thanks for the interior design tip Jilly. Another QVC product I need for my lovely new kitchen. A dry cleaners is just the style I'm after. :mysmilie_85:

I think you're spot on there. Not only does something like that take up valuable space, which is ok if you've got a spare room or two, from what reviews I've read, it's a pretty useless piece of kit ie takes ages to reach full steam, drips water everywhere, is awkward to use and over all does a pretty mediocre job, and is expensive! One would imagine that an industrial version would be better, but unless you're running an ironing business, I don't suppose many homes will have a use for it.

Ironing is a drag, always has been, always will be (although I believe some people enjoy it!)
These companies are always coming on with these all singing, all dancing contraptions that supposedly lets you breeze through the ironing in no time. What they forget, is that the ironing experience doesn't just begin the moment you put iron to fabric...First it haunts you, you spend a few days bracing yourself lol, then you've got to drag the heavy ironing board from the cupboard under the stairs, put it up, then fill the iron, if it's a steam generator wait around till it's ready to go, then find a place to put all your neatly pressed garments, or dash around putting them away as you go...knackered yet? My tip is to get a steam generator iron that gives a good hour of steam, bite the bullet and get on with it!

we used a garment steamer for work - to take out creases in wedding dresses. if this one is any good you would not need to use your iron and would be much quicker. just think, no more ironing boards...but i dont know if i have faith to try it.

we used a garment steamer for work - to take out creases in wedding dresses. if this one is any good you would not need to use your iron and would be much quicker. just think, no more ironing boards...but i dont know if i have faith to try it.

The whole system looked a bit flimsy to me and the blue shirt he was doing was wet in parts, so it probably drips a bit too. I think for the cost of £70 ish, it can't be much good.

I don't bother with ironing at all. Body heat or radiators do the job and I'd never buy anything linen :up:

I don't bother with ironing at all. Body heat or radiators do the job and I'd never buy anything linen :up:

I'm the same, although I hang my tops on hangers to dry them rather than hang them over the radiators. In Winter I tumble the rest of the washing . I don't have an ironing board (I left that with the ex :wink:) so on the rare occasion that something does need an iron I do it on the lounge floor. I have got one of the small Tobi steamers (which takes up no room at all in the cupboard) for the rare occasion when the curtains need a 'blast.'

Even if I hadn't already got a small steamer I'd not have entertained buying this TSV .... although I suppose you could use it as a coat stand in order to maximise space. :biggrin:

I know so many people who say that, but me, I just don't get away with it. I guess if you're living on your own and have a smaller load of washing to put in, it doesn't come out so creased, but in my experience most items come out as creased as b*ggery, there might be a few items, I could possibly get away with not ironing if I put them straight onto the radiator, or a couple of items into the tumble drier at a time (which is expensive and impractical), but jeans, trousers and work uniforms, there's no way I'd get away with not ironing them.

I guess the only way for me to avoid ironing would be to pay someone else to do it!

I love steamers - I'm on my second one. I use it mainly for my floors but also do windows and surfaces from time to time. I can improvise and do clothes as well but hardly ever do. A dedicated garment steamer seems a complete waste of money and space. Can't see the point at all.

I'm with you. The only things I own that need ironing are some summer cotton blouses, but I'm careful how I wash and dry them to minimise creasing so they just need a quick going over with a hot steamy iron.

I don't iron either. I wash, dry & hang carefully. Mr L runs the iron over his work shirts himself, although I don't actually think they need it.
I've got a steam press going begging if anyone wants it ...

I have a ironing press and love it - so much so that I do iron everything - including boxers and pants - am I the only one?? I don't actually like ironing and it can sometimes pile up as thinking about it is worse than doing it but once I have got going and have got it out it is not too bad sitting in front of the tv with a drink by the side!

The only thing I don't iron is bras and socks.

I hate ironing and try to get away with doing as little as possible, I give everything a really good shake when I take it out of the machine and then sort of smooth it a bit with my hands! When I do iron it is like a voyage to a lost world as I delve into the ironing basket and find all these things I 've forgotten about. One of my friends pays to have her ironing done, says it is one of the best things she has done in terms of the free time it has given her as a working mum. That steaming thing just looked a waste of money to me and as I have a little house lord knows where it would it live.

It didn't look like it had enough ooomph to it. If i could have seen steam shooting out I might have been interested.

Latest posts

Back