Gale Hayman Lip Lift

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
(mum writes)

I've been using this product for years and I love it. However, the most recent batch I've purchased has a really strong smell to it. It's hard to describe, but it's a sort of oily, plasticky smell. Other than that, they appear to be the same as ever but the smell is putting me off using them. Has anyone else ever had any that smelled a bit strange? Did you still use them?

Last edited:
I happened to read the reviews on the website this morning and several posters there mentioned they didn't like the smell.

I've only ever had it once, it smelled vile (a bit oily and sheepy) and I had a very bad reaction to it. My mother tried it and loved it however, and had since repurchased several times.

I have terrible problems with dry chapped lips and had used the gale hayman, was nice but didn't really solve the issue, have switched to the ultrasun ultralip with factor 15 and its lovely, works just as well if not better and a lot bigger and cheaper than the gale hayman, cant recomend it highly enough.

(mum writes)

I've been using this product for years and I love it. However, the most recent batch I've purchased has a really strong smell to it. It's hard to describe, but it's a sort of oily, plasticky smell. Other than that, they appear to be the same as ever but the smell is putting me off using them. Has anyone else ever had any that smelled a bit strange? Did you still use them?

I didn't think much of it until reading your post but I bought a duo of the Gale Hayman foundation a few months back - that seems to have a funny smell too, now I'm wondering if that's "off" - have they got a backlog of stock to shift I wonder..!!

I haven't noticed a smell.

However....I think this product has something in it that makes it addictive......if I can't find mine my lips begin to feel dry and I feel panicky!!!!!! I kid you not!:confused:

have just run upstairs to smell my current tube of LipLift, no bad smell though, does seem to sound like you got a bad batch. Must admit I truly love the product, agree with Northernlights above, I get a slight panic if I cant find mine.

I've never tried GH Lip Lift, it's been on my list of 'things to get on with trying', along with Elasticiser and Super Line Preventer, but since the debacle of Ojon (wanted it for ages and when I finally ordered it I nearly died at the revolting smell) I've gone a bit cautious. I tend to use Poxytanne Shea Butter as a lip balm, as I do as a nail moisturiser, hand cream, elbow enhancer :giggle: How would this compare to Lip Lift do you think - is it just a lip moisturiser or is there more to it? :thinking:

I haven't noticed a smell.

However....I think this product has something in it that makes it addictive......if I can't find mine my lips begin to feel dry and I feel panicky!!!!!! I kid you not!:confused:

That's because it's got mineral oil in it, which does dry out your lips and can make you addicted to it, if you find you're constantly applying lipstick or balm throughout the day and before sleep at night, then chances are you're addicted. Lips are supposed to naturally moisturise themselves so a product with mineral oil in can block that and stop them from doing that naturally. The only way to get over that is to literally go cold turkey and it's a horrible feeling, like coming off a drug...seriously! Once your lips get over feeling tight, sore, dry etc, then you can use something without mineral oil in, like an organic balm, Dr Organic do a good one without mineral oil in.

Weird but true.

That's because it's got mineral oil in it, which does dry out your lips and can make you addicted to it, if you find you're constantly applying lipstick or balm throughout the day and before sleep at night, then chances are you're addicted. Lips are supposed to naturally moisturise themselves so a product with mineral oil in can block that and stop them from doing that naturally. The only way to get over that is to literally go cold turkey and it's a horrible feeling, like coming off a drug...seriously! Once your lips get over feeling tight, sore, dry etc, then you can use something without mineral oil in, like an organic balm, Dr Organic do a good one without mineral oil in.

Weird but true.

The beauty bible lip balm sold at victoria health (go via the beauty bible website and you get 5% off) is all natural, no mineral oil and about a fiver for a massive 9g chunky tube, no smell or taste and it plumps the lips up too (not with any dodgy ingredients but just because its soo moisturising). I've spent from 0.99p up to £25.00 on lip balm and this and the pai skincare one (costs $6.0 I think) are amongst the cheapest and the best.

The mineral oil thing is true. They slag off things like Vaseline as being bad for your lips because 'it just sits on the skin not doing anything' then flog things like Lip Lift which have mineral oil in which does the same thing...

I would agree to go for something like LE superbalm, burt's bees or similar - check the label on whatever you buy, if it says 'parafinnum liquidum' then I tend to avoid it on my literal actual lip area.

The beauty bible lip balm sold at victoria health (go via the beauty bible website and you get 5% off) is all natural, no mineral oil and about a fiver for a massive 9g chunky tube, no smell or taste and it plumps the lips up too (not with any dodgy ingredients but just because its soo moisturising). I've spent from 0.99p up to £25.00 on lip balm and this and the pai skincare one (costs $6.0 I think) are amongst the cheapest and the best.

Thanks for that info Lady Tia. I have just ordered the beauty bible lip balm. I have been using liplift for ages and applying it very frequently to keep my dry lips at bay. Now I know that's possibly the result of mineral oil content, I'm giving it up. No more falling for Ali Young's hype!

Thanks for that info Lady Tia. I have just ordered the beauty bible lip balm. I have been using liplift for ages and applying it very frequently to keep my dry lips at bay. Now I know that's possibly the result of mineral oil content, I'm giving it up. No more falling for Ali Young's hype!

OOO I do hope you like it, I think its fab.

If you've been using liplift for ages then you will have a withdrawal period where your lips will seem drier than ever (I did) but peresevere, the beautybible lip balm is really great and so much cheaper too.

I have terrible problems with dry chapped lips and had used the gale hayman, was nice but didn't really solve the issue, have switched to the ultrasun ultralip with factor 15 and its lovely, works just as well if not better and a lot bigger and cheaper than the gale hayman, cant recomend it highly enough.

:mysmilie_497:

I only found out relatively recently that Lip Lift had mineral oil in it when I bought one on ebay that came in a box which had it printed on. Shame on AY who has always sold this on the basis that it doesn't have mineral oils in it. She's always seemed so "anti" mineral oils that I was very surprised to find out it had. Mostly, as has been said above, because of the 'sitting on your lips' thing.

Thanks for all your replies though. In the end, I phoned QVC and they asked while I waited. Apparently some sort of sun screen has been added which is responsible for the smell. They did tell me what it was called but the name was mostly unpronounceable and I've forgotten it now :)

I've got four of them now though. I suspect I will still keep using it as I've not had any particular problems with my lips feeling drier than usual. I'm sure it's not as versatile as Vaseline though ;) (I always used to put a little on my eyelashes at night. I'm in my 60s now and my lashes are still as long and supple as they were in my teens!)

Was it oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3)? A popular sunscreen but with serious health concerns...not something you'd want on your lips.

Jude x

I too tried lip lift and it didn't do what they said it would, I also found my lips feeling drier. I'm now going to order the beauty bible one. I looked on Body Shop and I don't think their lip balm has petro chemicals. I'm a bit cross cos I remember AY saying how wonderful it was and she always says how bad petro chemical are. :wonder:

Latest posts

Back