Foundation Recommendations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh, and one more thing before I shut up (lol!) - put on your serum and moisturiser, then let them absorb properly for a few minutes or longer while you tootle about, then follow with the primer and foundation (and the rest of your makeup).

Oh thanks for all or that, knew I'd get the best advice from here and not a shop! Might try the samples trick and see where we go from there. Tried the Superdrug B again today, to make sure it wasn't right. I had to load it on the get any cover, then it looked oily so I stupidly put a bit of BM mineral veil that looked ok in the bedroom. Got outside in the car and saw a woman twice my age looking back at me! Plus the fact my face is tight and uncomfortable means that is definitely for the chop. Will try the serum/oil trick with Tarte again, then plan a day 'shopping' in town!

Oh thanks for all or that, knew I'd get the best advice from here and not a shop! Might try the samples trick and see where we go from there. Tried the Superdrug B again today, to make sure it wasn't right. I had to load it on the get any cover, then it looked oily so I stupidly put a bit of BM mineral veil that looked ok in the bedroom. Got outside in the car and saw a woman twice my age looking back at me! Plus the fact my face is tight and uncomfortable means that is definitely for the chop. Will try the serum/oil trick with Tarte again, then plan a day 'shopping' in town!

Just a thought, if you have an underactive thyroid you won't process carotene effectively which makes the skin very yellowy. I know when I have overdone the sweet potatoes! :doh::bandit:

Firstly do you use a primer before foundation?

If so, is it one for smoothing pores or you now might need a hydrating one instead.

If you skin has got drier and you are using the wrong primer that will effect your foundation's look.

Do you know which don't contain silicone as I get breakouts.

Lancome,Yves st Laurent and possibly the other big names usually have samples to give you. I have oily skin and have yet to find any foundation that covers without looking like I have used a trowel.

Do you know which don't contain silicone as I get breakouts.

if you can get your hands on the ingredients list, you can tell the silicones by the names ending in ~cone or~one (eg: dimethecone). Otherwise you can tell by feel. If they feel very silky smooth, and if they absorb quickly, and can often be the culprit if you're suffering with roll-off...

here is an example of a very siliconey primer (silicones highlighted):

Benefit Porefessional
CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, SILICA, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, ISODODECANE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), MICA, IRON OXIDES (CI 77492), LIMONENE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491), IRON OXIDES (CI 77499), TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, BHT. N?? 04932/N

My personal experience with this one is I do get roll off unless I combine it with another less siliconey primer.

So if it claims to give you smoothness... it's probably got silicones. If it feels smoothing... it's probably got silicones. If there are ~cones or ~ones on the ingredient (inci) list - it's definitely got silicones.

I have always had oily skin and am fed up with the oil slick look. I use nanoblur which blurs pores and dries matte with no slippery feel. Even so, it's not long before shine breaks through and I sometimes use a combination of products if I really need my makeup to last. I've been looking at reviews online of other primers in all price brackets and there is no real remedy it seems. One that gets very good reviews though and is a great price is Avon Magix. I think I will give it a go but wonder if anyone has tried it?

I have always had oily skin and am fed up with the oil slick look. I use nanoblur which blurs pores and dries matte with no slippery feel. Even so, it's not long before shine breaks through and I sometimes use a combination of products if I really need my makeup to last. I've been looking at reviews online of other primers in all price brackets and there is no real remedy it seems. One that gets very good reviews though and is a great price is Avon Magix. I think I will give it a go but wonder if anyone has tried it?

Oh thanks Bea got some Avon coming Friday so will have a look in the book.

i've tried every cosmetic range offered on QVC because you can return it, but I have to be honest and throw my hat in here for Bobbi Brown which I've used since she launched her range in 1991 to the UK market, after trying it on a visit to New York that year, and I've stayed loyal to it since. I even use the same 2 colours - winter one and summer one, that I used back in '91.

The only thing I dislike with any makeup range is powder eye shadow, as I love palettes and I dislike the powder going everywhere, so it's cream eye shadows for me every time.

I also use from time to time Dior foundation and Estee Lauder as both do stay on all day, don't forget your large top end High Street Stores because they're often a lot better than QVC.

I like some of the people though, I love to watch and listen to Doris or anyone who is passionate about their own range.

I went on the foundation hunt last month and went to boots, Debenhams and house of Fraser oh and Browns of York and collected samples from Clinique , Estée Lauder and Clarins. Everyone gave me more than one sample, happily the girls from each brand recommended the same colours regardless of store.
I had enough samples to last me a month. I ended up buying two different ones from Clarins and really like them.
I'm staying clear of make up from Q and sticking with TDHS

I went on the foundation hunt last month and went to boots, Debenhams and house of Fraser oh and Browns of York and collected samples from Clinique , Estée Lauder and Clarins. Everyone gave me more than one sample, happily the girls from each brand recommended the same colours regardless of store.
I had enough samples to last me a month. I ended up buying two different ones from Clarins and really like them.
I'm staying clear of make up from Q and sticking with TDHS

I used a Clarins foundation for years. It was the best by far and gave a even dewy coverage. More recently been using Rimmell light coverage and it's super!

Latest posts

Back