Feedback on advice received

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A couple of weeks ago I asked for recommendations on primers, concealers and foundations to cover my red nose and thread veins. I had many useful replies, for which thank you.

Two of you suggested the oil cleansing method and I just want to say an especially big THANK YOU. I can't believe what a difference it has made in less than 10 days, using it am and pm. The pores on my nose have "disappeared, the veins look less angry and I need less foundation which actually stays in place for hours.

I was lucky to find in my stash a trial size bottle of Decleor cleansing oil and I saw results in a couple of days. I've now found out that this product has been discontinued by Decleor, but I've ordered another brand from a website and it seems to work just as well although it doesn't smell quite as nice.

Anyone having similar problems should give this a go.

Linda xx

Great to hear you have had success with your mission! This place is an invaluable source of information for just about anything.

I went back and looked at the other thread, as I have oily,and red skin too. I wonder if Sarah Chapman's cleanser is good because it is oil based. Any expert opinions out there?

I went back and looked at the other thread, as I have oily,and red skin too. I wonder if Sarah Chapman's cleanser is good because it is oil based. Any expert opinions out there?

I love the Sarah Chapman cleanser and I have skin that is prone to blackheads and spots and since using that all clear (fingers crossed). Quite a strong smelL though - but not unpleasant. I am now using Clinique cleansing balm which is a similar product but fragrance free (and a bit less expesnive ml for ml) and I'm liking that too. I'd prefer it though it (like the SC) it came in a pump dispenserrather than a tub. Balms and oils are the way to go in my opinion if you have oiliness.

Anyone tried the new Philosphy cleansing balm which I saw the other day on QVC? (Why do I always feel the need to try something new even though the products I'm using are working just fine?)

I've been thinking of trying the oil cleansing method for at least a year, since reading about it on the MoneySavingExpert forum. As may be guessed from the huge thread on MSE, it's not recommended merely for its effectiveness at skin improvement, but also for its benefits for the wallet - splashing out on Decleor, Sarah Chapman, etc, is unnecessary and unlikely to give as good a result as the real McCoy... which is described here:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

(Just in case this is read by the uninitiated ;) )

I'm currently using Liz Earle and Sheer Cover cleansers - why won't I put my money where my mouth is? :headbang: (Well, for one thing, I hate touching oil.)

clemenzina

I have very dry skin and have been using sunflower oil for over 30 years. I was given the tip by an Italian. I am over 60 and don't have a wrinkle (yet) or a blemish. It is a cheap and effective regime.

Tasi...you mean bog standard sunflower oil that you fry chips in? Would you recommend a particular brand? I'll try anything once! I used to get rosacea and now have broken capillaries around my nose which are difficult to cover if you don't like to look like you've piled the foundation on with a trowel - I've been interested in reading about various oil cleansers so maybe this is what I need to try - thanks all!

I am using Nude at the moment. Was lucky to get it half price in Space NK sale in January. So bought two bottles.

Me too Donna! I'm still using up Liz Earle so I've yet to try my Nude, thanks!:up:

I'll try anything once! I used to get rosacea and now have broken capillaries around my nose which are difficult to cover if you don't like to look like you've piled the foundation on with a trowel

BusyMum, have you tried the mineral powder foundations to cover the redness around your nose? I use the Avon one & it covers excellently.

BusyMum, have you tried the mineral powder foundations to cover the redness around your nose?

That's just what I was going to suggest. I have rosacea and couldn't wear any foundation for years until I discovered minerals. An e-pal of mine swears by Elemental Beauty, who do a variety with allantoin in it, which is great for troubled skin. I haven't tried it - simply because I've got so many pots and baggies of different brands (I mix them all together willy-nilly - like they say, it's very forgiving :wink: ).

clemenzina :wave:

Meemoo...my daughter gave me a starter kit of Bare Esencuals which she found when clearing out her wardrobe (!) tried this and "not bad" but I need two coats, then with the "dark" and the "mineral veil" on top I look too powdered - I do prefer a liquid foundation really to be honest.

Hi Ericsmum. I'm so glad you have found the oil cleansing method effective. I love it!! I use any oil to be be honest - olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba. They all work the same! You really don't need to buy an expensive oil, or an oil cleanser. Just buy yourself a bottle of extra virgin olive oil from the supermarket. Keep it in a dark place, and ideally buy it in a dark coloured bottle, tin or wrapped bottle. I use this a few times a week alongside my Elemis radiance cleanser. Someone told me yesterday that they were discussing me in their team meeting and they all came to the conclusion that I was 29. I am 37!!! Loved that I can tell you!! :mysmilie_378: I normally don't use moisturiser after as my skin feels super quenched and soft just after the oil. There's loads of info if you google oil cleansing method - have fun!

I thought that castor oil was an important ingredient, and that one should vary the proportion according to one's skin type and preference. As you say, Capi, what other oils you use in the mix is not crucial.

Having said all that - I'm only going by my periodic reading up of the subject, after which I never take the plunge and actually try the OCM :wonder:

clemenzina

I think the cleansing balms from Sarah Chapman and others (like Clinque) are a bit different from the tradtiaional oil cleansing method because when you add water they go milky and rinse away really easily. They probably add some sort of emulsifier to the basic oil base for it to do that. I have tried other oil cleansers (like Green People) which don;t have that milky phase and found them to be a bit of a pain to get the residue off because you need to use a muslin cloth which isn't necessary with SC.

Sunflower oil

I have very dry skin and have been using sunflower oil for over 30 years. I was given the tip by an Italian. I am over 60 and don't have a wrinkle (yet) or a blemish. It is a cheap and effective regime.

Is this the same kind as the cooking oil and, if so, doesn't it fry in the sun?

Latest posts

Back