Exfoliator for sensitive skin

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought the recent Gatineau defi lift tsv....love it and the exfoliator is fab. No granules etc and seems to work....Gatineau says....

Radiance Enhancing Gommage (75ml) - a gentle pearlescent gel which turns to liquid once massaged onto your skin and helps to exfoliate and brighten your complexion. Contains active ingredients, enzymes and AHA

I love that gommage and use it a lot. It is one of the few things I would buy outside of a special offer (if driven to such an extreme!).

I have used the Elemis Papaya exfoliator, and also their Gentle Rose Exfoliator might be useful for a sensitive skin. No bits in that either, just very nice creams.

I like all three of these products (but my skin is not sensitive so cannot comment for that).

PS I have just checked myself on the Elemis website and it says the Rose contains micro spherical Jojoba beads. But I don't think they are hard,nasty beads are they? I cannot remember any roughness from when I used it but do not want to misinform!!!!!

I'd recommend using a Korean or Japanese facial cloth. They feel a bit like those scrubby gloves (that I've used on my body AND face, but VERY carefully, obviously), but finer. They dry quickly after use and can also be thrown in the washer for hygiene. I had a Salux body one for years, but now use the gloves. The Korean cloths (Italy towels) can be found for a few quid on eBay.

The beauty of these cloths is that you can use your own favourite cleanser (and they don't hurt our wildlife), nor will they cause potential irritated patches (unless you scrub like you're cleaning the oven).

If you start off very, very gently, you'll soon get used to the amount of pressure you need (very little) to get rid of dry flakes without causing the fine skin tears that walnut and other rough scrubs can cause.

Can I just say that using coconut oil in home-made treatments may seem like a good idea, but using it (or any other oil that isn't liquid at room temp), WILL eventually cause plumbing problems by coating your pipes. OH was screaming at the telly last week when some woman was showing people how to make a relaxing lavender body scrub with coconut oil. Blocked pipes and their consequences aren't relaxing!

I love those Japanese towels, got a couple in TKMaxx. In the past got some on ebay wasn't as good.

You have received some great advise thus far, but to me I would completely step away from any kind of exfoliator, mechanical or enzymatic, I really do not see the need for it as it seems to be doing you no favours at all.

I would be looking at what you cleansed your skin with and investing in a good 100% natural facial oil to get your skin on track.

A good cleansing balm removed with a flannel ( muslin and microfibre will be too abbrasive) might work out well though I would be more inclined to recommend a good old fashioned cleansing milk and toner duo and absolutely no tap water on your skin at all, followed by a good slathering of natural oil.

I'd recommend using a Korean or Japanese facial cloth. They feel a bit like those scrubby gloves (that I've used on my body AND face, but VERY carefully, obviously), but finer. They dry quickly after use and can also be thrown in the washer for hygiene. I had a Salux body one for years, but now use the gloves. The Korean cloths (Italy towels) can be found for a few quid on eBay.

The beauty of these cloths is that you can use your own favourite cleanser (and they don't hurt our wildlife), nor will they cause potential irritated patches (unless you scrub like you're cleaning the oven).

If you start off very, very gently, you'll soon get used to the amount of pressure you need (very little) to get rid of dry flakes without causing the fine skin tears that walnut and other rough scrubs can cause.

Can I just say that using coconut oil in home-made treatments may seem like a good idea, but using it (or any other oil that isn't liquid at room temp), WILL eventually cause plumbing problems by coating your pipes. OH was screaming at the telly last week when some woman was showing people how to make a relaxing lavender body scrub with coconut oil. Blocked pipes and their consequences aren't relaxing!
Thanks for tha info about blocked pipes. It took me a minute to work out that you mean the drains. I certainly will take that on board.

Thanks for tha info about blocked pipes. It took me a minute to work out that you mean the drains. I certainly will take that on board.

You're welcome. I found out the hard way after using Lush's Buffy the Backside Slayer (which is my all-time fave lazy exfoliator/moisturiser). Our drains got slower and s-l-o-w-e-r until we had to give them a good cleaning with stuff that made me leave the house for 24 hours (couldn't breathe - but that's just me). It's particularly lethal in the summer months as the water is cooler so it builds up quicker.

I used that 24 hours productively... in a Travelodge, using my BtBS :grin:

Latest posts

Back