Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream - wow!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The actual postage cost for a small parcel sent 2nd class is still only £3.70, if they sent it "signed for" (which they don't) it'd still only be £4.10.

I've never ben tempted to buy the 100ml of PCMC because it's an open pot which will be hanging around for months, however well intentioned I start off using a little spatula there'll be days when I'd dip in my finger. I prefer the little silver tubes people flog for peanuts on ebay, on a good day an auction for 2 x 15ml might end below a tenner and the contents will be untouched by human hands!

Jude xx

How right you are Akimbo, I do like the PCMC but would not buy the 100ml even if I could afford £100 on one product, I always buy my Elemis from ebay and in small sizes....

I can see there's a certain cachet about having a big status 100ml pot on your dressing table but it's not enough to tempt me.

Jude xx

That's a lot for P&P. Especially when you can get the same with free P&P elsewhere. I'd have been more impressed by Elemis if they had changed the packaging of PCMC from a tub to an airless pump or tube for it's 10th Birthday rather than a blue pot.

I use it day and night so get through more than most and I always try and get the 100ml because it is value for money IF you're going to use it. I decant into a clean (sterilised) 30ml PCMC pot with a spoon. And yes you can use it past the six month deadline without it causing any problems or in my opinion without it spoiling.

Buying two 50ml would be £158 and three 30ml would be £150.

You can buy it elsewhere though in this limited edition without the £7 postage. But it's £99 so you still need to make sure you get free postage or cheap postage.

I have had the 100mls pot before in a set a few years back. It does not suddenly go off at the 6 months, in fact as there is no use by date set in stone I just ignore that bit of information. If is smells fine and the texture is normal I just use it. The EU made the cosmetic companies put use by dates on products, so they put 6,12,24,36 months on most products. To be honest a lot of poo!!!! But since these products are not in air tight containers, useless. As long as your fingers are clean no problems.

The biggest joke is powder products, yes 6 months. Er, not in my world sweetie! They can last for years. The things you need to watch are smell and texture, saying lipsticks and mascara.

What do Elemis products have in them or should that be dont have in them that make them only last 6mnths once opened? Tbh ive gone past 6mnths before with an elemis product and its been fine.

I largely ignore use by dates on beauty products, the only items I've thrown out are because there's been something visibibly wrong or it's smelled funny. Even mascaras which for hygiene reasons we keep being told to replace every six weeks, I usually have opened 3-6 months before I might bin it. I've also got face powders and blushes on the go that QVC stopped stocking years ago - Mojave Magic, Tony and Tina ..... they seem alright to me. All these EU use by dates are ridiculous, it's the same with food. The sooner they switch to best before dates the better, and let consumer common sense prevail!

Funnily enough I found a Tony & Tina bronzing set yesterday, I'd completely forgotten about and it all smells fine, even the lip gloss. My problem is boredom, I may use a face cream for a month but then I want to try something else from my stash so if a product is in a tube I can put the lid on and maybe come back to it months later.

Jude xx

Funnily enough I found a Tony & Tina bronzing set yesterday, I'd completely forgotten about and it all smells fine, even the lip gloss. My problem is boredom, I may use a face cream for a month but then I want to try something else from my stash so if a product is in a tube I can put the lid on and maybe come back to it months later.

Jude xx

I'm the same, I've usually got a variety of things on the go at the same time. I do get a sense of satisfaction when I finally finish a product but unfortunately lack of willpower often means I never get to finish the old stuff and just keep opening new stuff! I've often got about 10 different cleansers & moisturisers open at once, I like a varied routine! Don't get me started on makeup though.

Before the little open pot with 6, 12 or 24 months printed on it was put on the back of cosmetics we relied on our nose and our eyes to decide if something was safe to use. I still do that with creams and lotions. The only thing I throw away after 6 months are used mascaras because the brush sits inside the mascara all the time and also foundations if they`re down to the last dregs. Other than that I use sight and smell to decide if I`ll use something I`ve had for a while.

A few years ago I stayed at my nieces in laws house with her for two nights as a guest and she had a little basket of miniatures in the bathroom, being a typical woman I had a good nosey and there was an Elemis product, can't remember which but thought oooh I don't know this one and opened it, it was quite tight and the whole tube 'collapsed' bursting out the contents all over my nightwear. So obviously it was out of date and the smell was utterly fowl, it reeked and actually made me heave. I had to wash my nighty down and go to bed with it damp as I didn't have spare. So it can go off badly but this item must have been WELL out of date. I may have mentioned this before on here, sorry if I'm repeating but I'm a 'woman of a certain age' now ;)

Common sense is your indicator -if a product texture has changed or it smells off, out it goes.

Ew! I haven't read that story before loujareth (mind you at my age :hi: maybe I don't remember!). I wonder if they were just for show, not intended to be used. My mother-in-law uses LE's spit and polish so we bought her a few other bits one Christmas (about 7 years ago) and they're still on the bathroom window sill unused, such a waste! I know she watches the shows on Q and knows how to use them so what is the special occasion she's saving them for? Or worse, maybe she only puts them out when we visit? :sad:

back to products going off..because I squirrel things away I often don't get around to using them for months and years and so far I've only had to chuck away a couple of things that have separated and smell odd. I've not had anything go that bad but I have a sensitive nose and my stomach's turning just at the thought of your manky elemis episode LJ! Funnily enough I've been using a tube of Nails Inc hand cream which is a few years old and although the contents are fine the pink plastic tube has perished and is splitting.

Jude xx

I once had a bottle of Molton Brown body lotion turn on me!!!!! Looked okay and it was unopened. But I pumped some out to use and it was like milk which had gone off, separated and vile. Now okay it may have been about 2 years old, but still!!!!!

Let that be a warning to other cupboard hoarders. Make sure before you use it. And put products in by age order, older at the front.

I've found Elemis stuff doesn't keep too well once opened - I've had to chuck a Skin Moisturising shower doings which was on my shelf for a while and when I went to use it had that old lipstick smell? However I've got a tri-enzyme wash (large size) that's been on the go for well past the 6-months and still smells ok, but it's got a pump so probably cos the air doesn't get to it. Those weeny little free samples you sometimes get off the counter barely keep till you've got them home!

Latest posts

Back