do they have to tell the truth?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
I'm thinking specifically when a presenter either says along the lines of 'i bought this earlier' or 'i've asked them to put one aside for me' or 'my next door neighbour has bought one of these' do these stories need to be based on the truth or can presenters legally say anything they like about who's bought what as part of their sales pitch?

Are there guidelines is what i'm basically asking and if these stories aren't true are the guidelines being breached?

I'm thinking specifically when a presenter either says along the lines of 'i bought this earlier' or 'i've asked them to put one aside for me' or 'my next door neighbour has bought one of these' do these stories need to be based on the truth or can presenters legally say anything they like about who's bought what as part of their sales pitch?

Are there guidelines is what i'm basically asking and if these stories aren't true are the guidelines being breached?

To be honest C.C, I don't believe anything they say. Anything for a sale - especially the ex bid mob who are nosediving the channel in my opinion. It's like watching slo mo car crash tv. I won't name names, but I bet you can work it out for yourself. I don't watch much these days, but this forum makes up for it though.:mysmilie_59:

Well here's one bit of the ASA code that might clear this up:

Testimonials or endorsements used in advertising must be genuine, unless they are obviously fictitious, and be supported by documentary evidence.

If they said tomorrow was Tuesday.... I would have to check the calendar.....LOL

If they said tomorrow was Tuesday.... I would have to check the calendar.....LOL

If tomorrow was indeed Tuesday - as it is in our world, the "MOB" at I/W would probably infer, but not confirm it was Tuesday tomorrow but they would be more likely to say tomorrow is the day before Wednesday, then continue to say it's their favourite day of the week, they love it and there should be one every week - the truth, the whole truth and nothing like the truth. :mysmilie_59:

If tomorrow was indeed Tuesday - as it is in our world, the "MOB" at I/W would probably infer, but not confirm it was Tuesday tomorrow but they would be more likely to say tomorrow is the day before Wednesday, then continue to say it's their favourite day of the week, they love it and there should be one every week - the truth, the whole truth and nothing like the truth. :mysmilie_59:

... and for this day only, the day after Monday available on Fleeeeexxxeeee Pay over the next four weeks (so long as its Tuesday)

But don't they always tell the truth? Just some of the phrases used daily, over and over.......... I'm a believer :wink:

'this is the Gods honest truth'

'now I mean this at ome'

'without a word of a lie'

'honestly'

'hand on heart'

'I'm not just saying this'

There are some of the more genuine presenters who I'm sure probably do own a lot products featured. However, others like Peter Simon I wouldn't trust at all. The whole 'just trust me at 'ome' and then the made up list of fictional people who he says are buying the products (Our Bet, Maude at 'ome, my Grandkids) - it's all just so unbelieveable.

I think a lot of the shopping channels probably break ASA rules all the time (particularly as they're live) - problem is, unless people watch 24/7 and report every single suspicious sentence, there's nothing that can really be done about it.

Testimonials or endorsements used in advertising must be genuine, unless they are obviously fictitious, and be supported by documentary evidence.

i'd call 'i have one at home' and the likes an endorsement so i reckon that bit of code is being breached quite often as i tend not to believe all their 'i've got mine ordered' stories ;)

So the covers all that comes out of their mouth!

So actually then reading the above and as we all know all that comes out of their mouth is not exactly the truth then nobody as bought anything, because everything is 'obviously fictitious', even most of the information claims, also follow the 'obviously fictitious' claims (IMHO) of course (have to cover myself legally), don't want my freedom of speech stunted :)

If you have a problem, complain. I am sure, like radio, IW have to keep a copy of their broadcasts for at least 3 months [I don't know the exact length of time] in case of complaint.

I tend to think that people working in Tesco would shop mainly at Tesco, those in Curry's would buy their stuff from Curry's. When you are surrounded by the merchandise it could cloud and influence you - if that makes sense.

I tend to take those comments about owning stuff with a pinch of salt from most presenters.

I mean ,how many sparkly stretchy dresses can Denice wear in all the different colours as she often tells us she can't make her mind up so buys several. Not to mention the boots and the waterfall cardis.... Genevieve was doing the same the other day.

I take the view that I assume some of the presenters are fibbibg unless I find concrete evidence to the contrary. Obviously some presenters are worse than others so I won't tar all of them with the same brush. It works for me!

For me there's a clear distinct difference if a salesperson tells an 'untruth' along the lines of 'i think it's the best small hatchback for less than £15k currently on the market' if they in truth think the car is rubbish because yes they are there to sell and you should expect waffle, than saying 'i like it so much i've bought one' if they haven't, because this implies a purchasing action on their part that didn't take place. an action as oppose to an opinion if you like.

Expect some of them do buy some things , but not as many as they want us to believe.

Julia makes a point of bringing her own things she bought in on to air ,EG emu boots and the other day she brought in her own slanket and she is one of the presenters I believe.

I don't base my decisions on what the presenters say they buy so I don't really have a problem with it, not enough to report them anyway.

If you have a problem, complain. I am sure, like radio, IW have to keep a copy of their broadcasts for at least 3 months [I don't know the exact length of time] in case of complaint.

I tend to think that people working in Tesco would shop mainly at Tesco, those in Curry's would buy their stuff from Curry's. When you are surrounded by the merchandise it could cloud and influence you - if that makes sense.

And people working at ideal world, will have the choice of tower pans, a Karcher pressure washer, a Thomas Kinkade print, Williams wash wax, weather out tar in a can, and halogen ovens.

Latest posts

Back