Do they ask you when ordering if your buying a item as a gift?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cause on the Molton Brown Launch.

Jill said if you buy this as a Gift you have until 25th January to send it back, if buying it fo yourself you get 30 days.

Unless they ask you how do they know

I remember Julian B once saying "and who knows which is a gift"

If you order on line/app there is no one to ask.

Personally I think it is just a ploy to con the unsavvy into thinking that there is a difference. After all anything I buy is a gift to ME.

I guess if someone wants to return the bird food that they bought Aunty Maud for Christmas... they may suspect. But a beauty set or anything featuring on the gift ideas show... who's to know?

How far does their credibility as to a suitable present stretch? Anyone fancy trying the toilet cleaning gadget for 3 months?

Surely it works both ways.

When they are selling that toilet brush as a bridesmaid gift then they can ****** extend the MBG to January.

Whatever you order, if it is like in previous years, the packing slip will say Last Return Date (35 ish days later). You then have to ring up CS and say "I bought the Centigrade Coat/Ninja for my sister" and they say "It's all right, she has until 25 January to send it back". I have wondered over the years just how many phone calls, time and money, were wasted in this charade.

There ought to be a button on the telephone order line where you can press 1 to answer the question "Are you buying this for a blood relative you hate as a Christmas present?" rather than the usual telephone recorded question "Would you like to also order the matching scarf/chopping board?"

I wondered about this as was thinking of buying a Christmas pressie this weekend elsewhere and was thinking that I couldn't because if it didn't fit/suit my mum - which I wouldn't know until after 25th December - then the standard 28 days returns would've run out long ago and she'd be stuck with it!
So for once qvc does have the upper edge here ;)

But in their minds, they're offering a their standard 30 day try out period, just delaying the start of it. That's quite different from giving a 90 day try out from now until end of Jan! Although I dare someone to try out a thorntons hamper for 3 months and return it empty in 2016!

I thought everything automatically counted as a gift once they started advertising the extended money back on air, cos let's face it some people give some very weird gifts.

I wondered about this as was thinking of buying a Christmas pressie this weekend elsewhere and was thinking that I couldn't because if it didn't fit/suit my mum - which I wouldn't know until after 25th December - then the standard 28 days returns would've run out long ago and she'd be stuck with it!
So for once qvc does have the upper edge here ;)

But in their minds, they're offering a their standard 30 day try out period, just delaying the start of it. That's quite different from giving a 90 day try out from now until end of Jan! Although I dare someone to try out a thorntons hamper for 3 months and return it empty in 2016!

Somewhere in the bowels of Q Towers there is a dark basement room, filled with Christmas gnomes. Day and night they work, well on until Spring light makes its feeble way through the dust and cobwebs of their hovel. Their thankless task, to investigate every late January return, to see if it has been worn, sampled, chewed, for just 30 days after Christmas, or for 90 days since October.

When they find an item which has more than 30 days of wear, use, chew, they send a message held in a slit in their little Twitter stick, up to the daylight haunt of the Queen of the Gnomes. When she is told that someone has had more than 30 days use of something, she dispatches an evil curse through the television cables, directed with a pointy finger by Deadliest Fairy, to cause the cheating Returnee to fall over dead on the carpet in their own home.

I was wondering about how this worked as well. Looks like you have to ring up to ask about it basically. Otherwise, the only way it would be more 'proven' (in a way) to be a gift, would be if you were getting it sent to a different postal address from your own.

I was wondering about how this worked as well. Looks like you have to ring up to ask about it basically. Otherwise, the only way it would be more 'proven' (in a way) to be a gift, would be if you were getting it sent to a different postal address from your own.

But you wouldn't send a present directly in October would you?

Here's what I don't get... they start off with Christmas in July on or around 25th of the month. They then repeat in August and September with 1-2 day promotions. They then ramp it up in October. Now why on earth don't they offer the same benefit if you purchase from the earlier Christmas shows? Reward people for being seduced by the "plan early for Christmas" patter? It's not like they can't see when people placed their orders for things...

I tend to buy when I see something which I think will be perfect for someone, rather than waiting until all the retail hot-and-heavy promotion kicks in, so I rarely if ever benefit from the possibility of returning something bought before Christmas at the end of January.

Here's what I don't get... they start off with Christmas in July on or around 25th of the month. They then repeat in August and September with 1-2 day promotions. They then ramp it up in October. Now why on earth don't they offer the same benefit if you purchase from the earlier Christmas shows? Reward people for being seduced by the "plan early for Christmas" patter? It's not like they can't see when people placed their orders for things...

I tend to buy when I see something which I think will be perfect for someone, rather than waiting until all the retail hot-and-heavy promotion kicks in, so I rarely if ever benefit from the possibility of returning something bought before Christmas at the end of January.

Good grief! I had never seen the illogicality of that! If you are so 'present-forward' as to buy something on 25 July from a Christmas present special show, to be put under the Christmas tree for 25 December, then your 30 day mbg ran out at the end of August, so if the present doesn't suit, you can't return it.

But if you buy in October, from an ordinary show rather than a Christmas show, you can have the 3 month Christmas mbg.

I need to take two paracetamol and have a lie down, having tried to work that out.

Last edited:
Sod'em, I refuse to be dictated to by some money grabbing American company who employ 'has been' gym bunnies, two bit chorus girls and past their sell by date newsreaders/presenters; who can't distinguish between the colour red and orange and call it lilac; who send out letters to those who dare to return a few too many products; and think they are doing US a favour offering us ****** stupid 'surprises' , be it Spring, Summer or Christmas !!!

I wont be buying anything during this 90 day period while THEY decide whether their ****** awful print fashion, cheap and nasty festive lighting ornaments and bedding is deemed to be a gift or not !

If an item is bought as a gift and has the 90 day MBG, can it be used by the recipient at Christmas, to try it, or has it to be returned in pristine condition before the end of January?

Pristine? Didn't they make a big thing for years of wear it out in the street, wash it, use it normally for a month, no other company lets you do this, yabber yabber? Only then to start sending nasty notes if you have had more than a (completely unspecified) use of it? Is the gift recipient allowed to use an eighth, a quarter, a half or none at all of any cosmetics, let alone what is fair trial usage of any other product? That's one of the many reasons I will not be buying any Christmas gifts from them. Anyway, I buy things that I know people will like, not something Christmassy pushed at me by "has been gym bunnies, two bit chorus girls"...Oh, Brissles, what a lovely turn of phrase you have!

Latest posts

Back