Do people really wear their dresses so short? Duh, I don't think so.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
I really like some of thes Ronni Nicole, Tiana B dresses (even though they are all a bit samey).

But surely no-one actually goes out in the street with them at the length they try to persuade us to wear on our screens?

And they needn't try to pretend that the likes of Julia Roberts wears them at this length either. She is over 50 and has awful legs ( real dancer's calves). If she wore a dress well above her knee like this she would look like mutton dressed as lamb.

I know that this above the knee length might suit the odd woman in her 40's if she was stick thin and was on holiday maybe in a hot sunny clime but walking round the supermarket in a stretch jersey printed over the clingy dress is not a good look.

Why can't they just bring out these dresses in two dress lengths?They are all guilty of it even Lenny Leonard.

It's being ageist in my view. They don't think about those of us who have started to have a bit of fluid on our knees where the key has virtually merges into the rest of our tree trunk legs.

I think that that just above the knee length is really hard to wear unless you have really nice knees and that isn't that common. I don't suit that length at all unless I wear opaques and over the knee boots.

I`m 5` 3" now lost an inch somewhere over the years and if I buy the 40 " length its just over my knees but these are few and far between with the majority being much shorter. The choice is lessened of course as you have to like the limited choice in 40". I`ve got two Tiana B dresses in this length both at the more expensive end of the line. Even when I was younger when my legs were quite presentable I never liked just above the knee length it was either mini or mid calf depending on the style and ocassion. Do older American women really wear them so short ? It isn`t as if we haven`t let them know on a regular basis. On one of the `longer` styles last night sorry morning Quida remarked they had listened about length.....just wish it wasn`t just the odd one! IMO the TSV wasn`t as bad as described on another thread were DF was wearing it. For the price I thought it was ok.

I do agree about the dress lengths. I am just 5'5" and find most Tiana B and some Ronni Nicole too short. I have regretted quite a few purchases because I don't feel comfortable wearing those above the knee dresses out. In my opinion Kim and Co gets things right, it's not unusual to find dress lengths of 40"+. It really makes a big difference. I have wasted money on QVC dresses which are too short and I will be paying greater attention to dress lengths from now on and not buying anything less than 39". As for the TSV I am not moved to buy it. I am not keen on the pattern and my size will probably be too short. I hope QVC starts to listen because there is a certain high street store which does offer 3 dress lengths.

I do agree about the dress lengths. I am just 5'5" and find most Tiana B and some Ronni Nicole too short. I have regretted quite a few purchases because I don't feel comfortable wearing those above the knee dresses out. In my opinion Kim and Co gets things right, it's not unusual to find dress lengths of 40"+. It really makes a big difference. I have wasted money on QVC dresses which are too short and I will be paying greater attention to dress lengths from now on and not buying anything less than 39". As for the TSV I am not moved to buy it. I am not keen on the pattern and my size will probably be too short. I hope QVC starts to listen because there is a certain high street store which does offer 3 dress lengths.

Oh no the `dreaded high street` lol..
As well as length why can`t they unify the sizes for e.g. a size 10 can be anything from a 32" to a 35" bust size and then they tell you to order your `normal size` ...If I knew what that was on QVC I`d be a gudun!!
Debbie G has just told her we like them a little bit longer here to which she replied a fuller skirt is always 39/40" ..not a good answer is it as the majority are mini dresses by my wayn of thinking.

Its like I've commented before, QVC bust sizes - particularly Ronni N and Tianna B go up in 1" increments - well thats nothing in a scrap of material, so how the hell do they expect the frocks to fit ?

I agree - but it is not much better on the high street. I am looking for a dress to wear for a Carribean wedding in May and want one that is below the knee but I am really struggling to find one. I have searched the internet and they are all either this horrible short length or maxi. I don't have good legs and really don't want them on show. The only ones I have seen are very expensive (like £200) or suitable for an 80 year old - Windsmore etc!!!! Obviously short dresses are 'IN'

I am 5ft 7 with a long waisted body so they would come up about mid thigh on me and I would not wish that sight on anyone!! Scary enough for me to contemplate when I get dressed in the morning and cover up all the bits that would scare animals and small children! Yet another reason to shop on the seventh circle of hell aka the high street as some places do a choice of lengths

I'm 5ft 6, nearly 50 and a size 18. And I quite like dresses that are just on or above the knee. I'm not a fan of Ronnie Nicole as they're a bit tight in the boob department. But I do like Tiana B and I'm wearing one today. I don't find below the knee or mid calf flattering but I do like ankle length or maxis. Each to their own of course.

I've thought this for a while now. I'm 5'8 and find alot of QVC dresses too short (I need at least 40') and the maxi dresses are too short too :( Love the idea of two different lengths and until this happens I'll be sticking to Boden

I am afraid to say my mother likes to wear dresses (and skirts) this short. Or shorter, to my shame. To be fair she does have great legs, far better than mine have ever been (hence the bitterness.....). She thinks she is dressing more conservatively now as she is older, but this is really only in comparison to the teeny, tiny dresses she used to wear!

I, like the rest of you, prefer a bit more length. I do like the maxi dresses, but I now tend to buy dresses from Marks or Boden (in the sale) as I can then get a longer length and cover everything up.

i love wearing dresses but at 5'10 not a lot of the dresses on QVC are long enough. i can struggle on the high street but thankfully a few have started with the tall ranges so i can get away with some of them. Wallis sadly is the worst length wise for me and i love their clothes!!!

I wear Tiana B and some Ronni Nicole dresses and find the length fine at 5'6".

If they made them longer then, on me, they'd be just below the knee or on the calf which I think is an 'older' look - I like them just above the knee.

I only wear them with dark opaque tights and try to remember not to bend over and flash my under crackers.

The dresses, regardless of their length, look cheap and nasty. They do not look to hang straight. If I had any of them I too would only wear them with opague tights on.

The dresses, regardless of their length, look cheap and nasty. They do not look to hang straight. If I had any of them I too would only wear them with opague tights on.

I do agree some are cheap looking but I think in most of the ranges you get a price range and the quality reflects the price I`ve sent back both a Ronnie Nicole and a Kim & Co both the lower price end and they were really cheap looking but I have two Tiana B, one was £54 and the other £62 and neither IMO look cheap and nasty I think they have to try to supply a good range of prices and if you have a good figure you can make a bin bag look good so they suit some people ..unfortunately my figure went awol a long time ago so did nothing for me they were ill fitting and made me look more lumpy bumpy and fatter than I am ...as the saying goes `you get what you pay for`

Well I'm only just 5 ft so the length is the only thing about the fit that I find ok.
But I realise I'm a shorty shanks so can see they'd be wrong for normal people. :wink:

I'm 5' 4" and 53 years old and I always, always wear my dresses and skirts an inch or two above the knee, whether my tights are sheer or opaque. The longer length looks frumpy on me and my legs are my best feature, so I love showing them off!

I'm another shorty forvwhonthe dresses are just the right length makes a nice change for me not to be turning hems up

I'm 5' 4" and 53 years old and I always, always wear my dresses and skirts an inch or two above the knee, whether my tights are sheer or opaque. The longer length looks frumpy on me and my legs are my best feature, so I love showing them off!

Hi Calvin,

They look frumpy on me too as I'm just slightly shorter than you.

Love

Twinkle xx

I'm 5'11 and like my dresses at least below the knee. Bought a couple of tianna b which are 40" long and where them with thick tights but not really 100 per cent comfortable as feel abit mutton dressed as lamb. Think i would be happy to pay a little more for longer length.

Latest posts

Back