Desperate for a decent hand cream

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vaseline Intensive Care for me. Have used it for years ans my hands are the only thing on me that doesn't look my age!!

however today I've ordered the Body Shop Hemp one - as there's a 50% off offer on everything at the mo - as this too has got rave reviews.
I use the Hemp one, I alternate with L'Occitane Shea Butter one, It is fab but like the Shea Butter hand cream I use it overnight as I find it is greasy. Well worth it and as 50% at the moment you can't go wrong. I think I bought mine in a sale as well. Good luck with it x

Another vote for Norweigen Formula - this really does leave your hands soft. I also love the Zoom Dry Therapy one from the Nailcare Club online, used to get this from QVC in the distant past, this one does a good job but does not leave your hands sticky.

I, too, have hands that are sensitive to everything, and are worse in the winter, they will crack and bleed at every opportunity (sorry!). I would also recommend the Norwegian Formula - with the RED lid, with no fragrance. I smother thickly on my hands last thing at night, and this keeps my hands in good condition. I confess to not using hand cream during the day as it's just a nuisance. I also use Liz Earle's Nourishing Treatment Mask on my hands/cuticles as a lovely moisturising treatment. I do have to rinse this off though, leaving it on indefinitely makes my hands itch.

i've always had sore dry hands because of my work - constant hand washing and paper towels. the handcream the hospital supplies us with is e45.

i also vote for a thin smear of prescribed steroid cream if they have sore flaking patches and also the norwegian formula at night.

as many have pointed out though, there is a real difference between dry hands and dermatitis or eczema. if you think it might be either of the last two, you really should be seeing the doctor.

Flexitol Hand Balm for very dry skin - about a fiver from Boots. I tried everything including expensive hand creams but after half an hour my hands were like lizard skin again. This is fab, non-greasy and a little goes a very long way.

These are my favourites (expensive to cheap) - all equally effective:
L'occitane honey & lemon although this seems difficult to get hold of.
Crabtree & Evelyn lavender hand therapy.
Soap & Glory hand food.
Superdrug intensive hand cream (in the purple tube).
Personally I couldn't get on with Norwegian formula.

I am a hand cream addict - probably tried 37 thousand sorts and my 3 favourites are:

OPI Avoplex - sinks in really fast
Crabtree & Evelyn La Source - lasts for ages
Nivea Hand cream with macadamia nut extract - excellent value for money.

For me it is L'Occitane, love the Shea Hand Cream and if I want a lighter one I use their Cherry Blossom one.

Best handcream I've ever used is the L'occitane Shea Butter hand cream. Its got 20 percent shea butter and is really thick and luxurious, but sinks in so well. I've tried alot of hand creams, but I always go back to this one too. My hubby who is an electrician, well his hands get very very dry, from working out in the elements etc and he used it too. Cant be without it xx :hi:

Not glamorous but may help anyone with dermatitis/eczema type problems is doublebase gel from pharmacies.

I was prescribed Betnovate cream made by GlaxoSmithKline. I would highly recommend it although it is a bit greasy. Certainly stopped the itching though :clapping:

I tried OH's Betnovate but it didn't do me any good, went to doc for something stronger - I forget what it was she gave me but anyway that didn't really help much either!

I was going to say the same Busymum I've found Aldi's Urea really good, although a couple of my daughters friends who are nurses have had my stash so Im going to look further afield to Aldi's to get more !!!!! xx

when you get some fwend, put it under lock and key!! I've also tried the foot cream, and the bodywash - brilliant stuff at the price.

My hands are so dry that the backs look like a shed snakeskin and easily break and bleed, and my fingers feel like sandpaper. Can anyone suggest an effective hand cream please ? (QVC or otherwise)

I suffer from the same sort of problem.

Two things that have helped me:

using plain, unscented, vegetable soap to wash my hands. Tesco and Asda both sell it. Four bars for about £1;

my doctor prescribe Betnovate cream, which has made a huge difference.​

My hands are fine now.

wow, thank you so much for all your suggestions.

I don't think it's bad enough to be dermatitis or eczema, but as many of you have said it's probably due to cheap handwash. It had never even occurred to me, been using it for years. It's gardening season so I'm washing my hands a lot more.

So first thing is to get a gentle hand wash or "pure" bar of soap, then a couple of the cheaper handcreams you've mentioned for after every handwash. Plus L'Occitane or LE for bedtime.

So first thing is to get a gentle hand wash or "pure" bar of soap, then a couple of the cheaper handcreams you've mentioned for after every handwash. Plus L'Occitane or LE for bedtime.

Speaking of soap, i would recommend L'Occitane soap:grin:

Latest posts

Back