Debbie Flint & her pronounciation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have some lovely Steiff bits but those days are long gone.
I saved for ages because I just had to have the Jean Paul Gaultier bear, I love him. I had about the exact amount in my account but the flippin' card was refused and I really did nearly faint. I got stroppy & made them phone the bank, turned out the numpties hadn't a clue how to use the card machine, they assumed it was easy blah blah but I was so embarrassed. Bear is fab though.

QVC presenters are broadcasters as well as salespeople. Quite Often one of the more erudite presenters will have researched the products, e.g. gems, and give some interesting background information. They reach a very wide audience and as such, should verify any pronounciation they are unsure of. Incorrect pronounciation is almost as bad as misinformation and they are paid enough to ensure that what they are telling us is correct. I am not saying that regional accents should be banned, they add variety, but product information should be correctly pronounced. Just as they ensure it is spelt correctly.

While on my high horse, some of the female presenters definitely need to attend a course on how to present. I particularly objected to the way Julia constantly interrupted poor Ralph will silly remarks, and which earrings shall I wear now? Her vanity is now unwatchable. Ralph clearly loves his product and enjoys telling us about them. I had never heard of Keishi pearls and enjoyed learning about them. And no, if I had used the mute button, I would not have been able to hear what Ralph had to say.

I will not comment on the dress sense of these women, almost without exception it is dire.

I didn't Vampyre, was just playing, lol.. But I have collected Steiff for years, mainly the older animals, newer stuff too though.. :hi:

Daisy there's a steiff guinea pig in bargain hunter today : 759230 £23 reduced from £32 ...nowhere near as cute as real piggies but cute nontheless.

Jude (leading you into temptation) xx

Daisy there's a steiff guinea pig in bargain hunter today : 759230 £23 reduced from £32 ...nowhere near as cute as real piggies but cute nontheless.

Jude (leading you into temptation) xx
Thanks Jude, but have my hands full with my 2 real piggies, lol.. xx :hi:

QVC presenters are broadcasters as well as salespeople. Quite Often one of the more erudite presenters will have researched the products, e.g. gems, and give some interesting background information. They reach a very wide audience and as such, should verify any pronounciation they are unsure of. Incorrect pronounciation is almost as bad as misinformation and they are paid enough to ensure that what they are telling us is correct. I am not saying that regional accents should be banned, they add variety, but product information should be correctly pronounced. Just as they ensure it is spelt correctly.

While on my high horse, some of the female presenters definitely need to attend a course on how to present. I particularly objected to the way Julia constantly interrupted poor Ralph will silly remarks, and which earrings shall I wear now? Her vanity is now unwatchable. Ralph clearly loves his product and enjoys telling us about them. I had never heard of Keishi pearls and enjoyed learning about them. And no, if I had used the mute button, I would not have been able to hear what Ralph had to say.

I will not comment on the dress sense of these women, almost without exception it is dire.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. The point about pronunication - I was shot down by Lottie for not knowing how to correctly spell this Ruthmay, so I would watch your back! - is important, I think. I don't even like coffee, so never use a cafetiere, but I know how to pronounce it. If it had been a 'proper' foreign word, then fair enough of course, but cafetieres have been sold on the high street for years and yes, I expect presenters to at least know how to pronounce everyday words. I have never heard anyone say it the way she did, it was almost like she had never seen the word before so was taking a stab at how it was pronounced.

I also agree that regional accents give variety, we certainly don't want everyone speaking like they have just stepped out of a 1940's documentary. Craig will say li-lac, that's his little idiosyncrasy and I find it quite sweet.

And as I've said over and over in my posts, countless people have left very nasty comments about various presenters - and got away with it! My post wasn't nasty and I don't know why I was picked on by Lottie, it seemed she'd had enough of negative posts about them.

I agree too that some presenters go to a lot of trouble to research the items, especially gems, and amaze me with their knowledge.

Oh for goodness' sake, you are taking this far too personally! Some people thought it was nothing to be picky about, it happens on most threads when a presenter is criticised for something. I have actually heard that word said both ways so it's not as cut and dried as you seem to think. I actually resent the superior attitude that 'well everyone knows how this should be said/ done' etc

There is a vast difference between misspelling (?) on here and on personal mails, and mispronounciation, and what is broadcast to the public.

we all rush our emails and it does not matter if it is personal stuff IMHO.

My back is very broad, but thank you for the warning. Please don't let people upset you on here, it is nice to share our views I think, without fighting.

It's a beautiful sunny day, there is golf on TV, so shall be giving the Q a rest.

Latest posts

Back