Debbie Flint & her pronounciation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

backstreetgirl

Registered Shopper
I was watching Debbie Flint on the kitchen hour yesterday and she referred to a Cafetiere, pronouncing it 'kerfet-ee-er!'

I know my french may not be good, but even I know it's not pronounced like that. And just to make sure, I went to a pronounciation site - I know, how sad am I! - and it was pronounced the way I say it: 'Cafatier.' :cheeky:

No, but you're posting on here and unless I'm missing something, presenting involves speaking and not spelling.

I'm lucky, I've had a decent education, and several foreign language lessons - but I don't think it gives me the right to take the piss out of someone who hasn't had that opportunity. I'm getting sick of seeing petty threads attacking Debbie and Julia on here.

Fair enough to criticise presenters for consistently pronouncing everyday English words incorrectly, but cafetier??

I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce that, in fact I would have thought Debbie was correct - as would a lot of people I guess?

Unless you speak French or discuss cafetiers on a regular basis, I imagine the majority of people would struggle with the correct pronunciation so think it is slightly pedantic to pick on Debbie for it!

I was watching Debbie Flint on the kitchen hour yesterday and she referred to a Cafetiere, pronouncing it 'kerfet-ee-er!'

I know my french may not be good, but even I know it's not pronounced like that. And just to make sure, I went to a pronounciation site - I know, how sad am I! - and it was pronounced the way I say it: 'Cafatier.' :cheeky:

Maybe she learned how to say it from Tova who is an expert. Her pronunciation of eau de parfum is worth waiting to hear. Sounds like she's chewing one of Ernest's socks!! Having said that, Tova really has no excuse after working in the perfume industry since cavegirls were annointing themselves with woolly mammoth sweat.

I don't mean you Cavegirl!! You smell lovely I am sure.

No, but you're posting on here and unless I'm missing something, presenting involves speaking and not spelling.

I'm lucky, I've had a decent education, and several foreign language lessons - but I don't think it gives me the right to take the piss out of someone who hasn't had that opportunity. I'm getting sick of seeing petty threads attacking Debbie and Julia on here.

Well, that decent education has left you with no manners at all, so you should get your money back!

And maybe you should have a go at the other people who 'attack' Debbie & Julia (especially Julia about her weight & dress size) instead of leaving sarcastic comments in reply to my message. I've read some of those posts and some of them are really nasty.

The reason I commented on the word was because it sounded like Debbie was trying to be posh and getting it wrong, that was all, so get off your high horse.

Fair enough to criticise presenters for consistently pronouncing everyday English words incorrectly, but cafetier??

I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce that, in fact I would have thought Debbie was correct - as would a lot of people I guess?

Unless you speak French or discuss cafetiers on a regular basis, I imagine the majority of people would struggle with the correct pronunciation so think it is slightly pedantic to pick on Debbie for it!

Good grief, I hadn't realised before just how 'clicky' this forum is.

There is absolutely no way that Debbie pronounced it correctly and most people know exactly how to pronounce it, you don't need to know French. It's not important, in fact I couldn't care less, I just thought I would mention it.....as others often post about what such and such a presenter has said/done/worn......obviously I'm not allowed.

I was merely pointing this out because it sounded daft the way she said it and I would like to know how come loads & loads of people on this forum slag off the presenters left, right and centre but when I leave just one little post I get blasted?

Sheesh, this has put me right off the forum. I wonder how many of you were bullies at School?!

There is absolutely no way that Debbie pronounced it correctly and most people know exactly how to pronounce it, you don't need to know French. It's not important, in fact I couldn't care less, I just thought I would mention it.....as others often post about what such and such a presenter has said/done/worn......obviously I'm not allowed.

I was merely pointing this out because it sounded daft the way she said it and I would like to know how come loads & loads of people on this forum slag off the presenters left, right and centre but when I leave just one little post I get blasted?

Sheesh, this has put me right off the forum. I wonder how many of you were bullies at School?!

ouch! if I had been this thread starter, I wouldn't have made this comment. :wink:

Sorry Backstreet girl, I didn't mean to come across as a bully. I just thought your post was slightly pedantic, and I would have said the same to whoever had posted it.

I'm one of those sad people who actually likes quite a lot of the presenters on QVC, and I do tend to defend rather than criticise & have done so on many other posts, as I fail to understand why some posters get so wound up by certain presenters (not referring to you here at all but there are some who seem to get so angry at the presenters I don't know why they just don't utilise the 'off' button!) but usually I am very much in the minority.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though whether they are in the minority/majority or not.

Last edited:
I'll deflect some attention here and mention that Jill Franks was advertising a bangle yesterday and came out with 'the diameter of this is 65 by 65' !

Shame, there was a good old bargey developing...and one that I wasn't involved in. :mysmilie_483:

debbies hair looks nice up. she is looking more relaxed and pretty these days and her singing with stieff bears .....lol:wave:

yes her hair up does suit her, I really like Debbie F think she's funny and entertaining, and she asks some really good questions and gets the guests to explain things properly.

Will have to say I do not 'get' Steiff bears (or any of the other cuddly toys QVC sell) who on earth pays £400 for a stuffed panda???

Backstreet girl - if anyone knows about high horses, i'd give you full marks on that.
Are you so dense you could not see the reason (and manner) of my post was in direct response to the way in which you had posted at the start of the thread?

If you thought I was sarcastic, then you need to look at how YOU posted in the first instance. I thought your post was in total bad taste, was aimed spitefully and I am fed up of seeing these sorts of catty posts just recently aimed at some of the presenters in particular. There is no need for it.

Yes you posted about how Debbie spoke, and I posted about your poor spelling. I gave you a taste of your medicine and I'm glad it appears to have reached the spot! Maybe before you get your daggers out next time, you'll think twice. Debbie may have got her pronunciation slightly wrong, but you're no better in the spelling quarters and your own sarcasm (and my irony) was lost on you. As for the bullying comment, well there you go again...this thread is all about how to bully and that's what initially got my back up.

If you haven't got anything good to say, perhaps say nothing?

Last edited:
Backstreet girl - if anyone knows about high horses, i'd give you full marks on that.
Are you so dense you could not see the reason (and manner) of my post was in direct response to the way in which you had posted at the start of the thread?

If you thought I was sarcastic, then you need to look at how YOU posted in the first instance. I thought your post was in total bad taste, was aimed spitefully and I am fed up of seeing these sorts of catty posts just recently aimed at some of the presenters in particular. There is no need for it.

Yes you posted about how Debbie spoke, and I posted about your poor spelling. I gave you a taste of your medicine and I'm glad it appears to have reached the spot! Maybe before you get your daggers out next time, you'll think twice. Debbie may have got her pronunciation slightly wrong, but you're no better in the spelling quarters and your own sarcasm (and my irony) was lost on you. As for the bullying comment, well there you go again...this thread is all about how to bully and that's what initially got my back up.

If you haven't got anything good to say, perhaps say nothing?

You really are a nasty woman, aren't you.

If you look back over pages and pages of threads started, along with their related posts, you will see that countless people - as I have said before - have posted extremely nasty comments about several of the presenters. Ones about Jill Franks stand out in my mind with sarcastic comments relating to the way she 'gasps.' I wonder if you made such cutting replies to them? Probably not. My post was not sarcastic, you chose to read it that way. If you want to have a go at me, at least be consistent and have a go at all those people too.

Actually, people like you make me sick. Gemster had the right attitude; although she didn't agree with me, she was nice enough to post to say that she didn't mean to come across as a bully.

And no, I am not dense, thankyou very much. I would like to throw that comment right back at you, but that would imply that you are thick and I don't believe you are. I believe that you are the type of person other people would want to keep on the right side of or alternatively avoid, for fear of getting a massive tongue-lashing from you - or worse. And that is something you should be deeply ashamed of, but no doubt you are proud of the fact that you are like the school bully.

Latest posts

Back